Recalled/Assigned: Roster moves thread 2020-21: 4/26 Chekhovich recalled

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
the sharks really need to hunt for some play makers

Agreed. They have some but not a lot and I'm not sure if any are top line potential. I think Bordeleau might but that's probably a stretch. I don't really see that in this draft either. Roughly 2nd line/borderline 1st line quality in that regard. 2022 though there seems to be a good amount.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
True plays like Labanc trapped in Burns' body. He doesn't seem to realize that he's bigger than a lot of people.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Interesting observation. I feel like one of True's strengths is that he knows his abilities and limits very well. I see him use his size to protect the puck and crash the net very effectively.

I suppose maybe I just want to see more aggression from him. Either that or I'm overestimating his skating (and he uses his size well to compensate).

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Interesting observation. I feel like one of True's strengths is that he knows his abilities and limits very well. I see him use his size to protect the puck and crash the net very effectively.
In his first game up, one moment I saw from him that I liked was when he in the defensive zone helping against a rush. He saw his defensemen engaged with the puck carrier so he turned away from the puck carrier to watch for a 3rd man rather than get stuck puck watching. Seemed like a responsible decision to me.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
I suppose maybe I just want to see more aggression from him. Either that or I'm overestimating his skating (and he uses his size well to compensate).

I actually thought True has done a MUCH better job with being physical and playing at an NHL speed this year. If he could put on some more muscle he would be a prototypical 4th line center IMO.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He looked very slow in that last game. Better in the game before. Not sure what changed but he's gotta keep his feet moving to play at the NHL level. He's already at a speed deficit playing in the NHL. To be fair though, that is the fastest team as far as puck movement that I've seen in a long time.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Gregor and True back down to the AHL, decent chance they'll play tonight with the Barracuda so thin at forward. They've played two defensemen at wing for the past two games.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hamaliuk has been sent back to junior (Kelowna, WHL)

Hamaliuk seems like a wasted pick to me. I get what they were going for, it was a home run swing on a big high-upside kid but I've seen him in like half a dozen games and while he's not abjectly terrible, he always just seems like he's just kinda.... there. Someone with his size and who's not a totally irredeemable skater should be better than a 15-goal, 30-point forward as a 17-19 year old in major junior.

Honestly as an overager I'm going to be extremely disappointed if he doesn't at least threaten the 30-goal plateau. And even then I still will think it's gonna be an uphill climb for him as a pro.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Hamaliuk seems like a wasted pick to me. I get what they were going for, it was a home run swing on a big high-upside kid but I've seen him in like half a dozen games and while he's not abjectly terrible, he always just seems like he's just kinda.... there. Someone with his size and who's not a totally irredeemable skater should be better than a 15-goal, 30-point forward as a 17-19 year old in major junior.

Honestly as an overager I'm going to be extremely disappointed if he doesn't at least threaten the 30-goal plateau. And even then I still will think it's gonna be an uphill climb for him as a pro.
So he could be another Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So he could be another Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau?

No, that was worse because Paquin-Boudreau didn't even have size/physical attributes to dream on. All he had was being a nearly PPG player in his draft year (which was his first year in the Q). From a tools standpoint or a pedigree standpoint there didn't appear to be much to convince that his surge to draft prominence was something sustainable. Hamaliuk made sense at the time and just looks like it was a bad bet now that we've seen him pretty much not develop.

and for anyone that might care now, Boudreau left the Cuda after his 2 playoff game audition, went and played a year at the University of Quebec, and has since played the last few years in a low-level barely-pro league in Quebec mostly famous for at one point being the fightingest hockey league in North America with teams full of goons averaging north of 3 fights per game, and for being such a minor league operation that, I kid you not, one of the teams' official names is the Saint-Georges Cool FM 103.5.

That's the actual name. including the frequency number and everything.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
No, that was worse because Paquin-Boudreau didn't even have size/physical attributes to dream on. All he had was being a nearly PPG player in his draft year (which was his first year in the Q). From a tools standpoint or a pedigree standpoint there didn't appear to be much to convince that his surge to draft prominence was something sustainable. Hamaliuk made sense at the time and just looks like it was a bad bet now that we've seen him pretty much not develop.

and for anyone that might care now, Boudreau left the Cuda after his 2 playoff game audition, went and played a year at the University of Quebec, and has since played the last few years in a low-level barely-pro league in Quebec mostly famous for at one point being the fightingest hockey league in North America with teams full of goons averaging north of 3 fights per game, and for being such a minor league operation that, I kid you not, one of the teams' official names is the Saint-Georges Cool FM 103.5.

That's the actual name. including the frequency number and everything.
I did see that he had some time in the LNAH. That league has transitioned into some less fighting and a little more skill but it is definitely still a bottom tier pro league. The fact that he’s not even playing ECHL level shows how bad of a pick he really was. That entire draft was a nightmare, especially considering the team had THREE 2nd round picks and only left with Boudreau and Tyler Kennedy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad