Line Combos: Roster/Lineup/Movement Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
If I’m Jarmo I’m looking for a partner for Jones. He seems very unenthusiastic as of late. To me it was evident on his penalty shot a few games ago.

I actually believe it's quite the opposite. I feel like he's trying too hard.. if that's possible. Gripping the stick too hard, one could say.

I never have questioned Jones' compete level and honestly never see myself doing so.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I actually believe it's quite the opposite. I feel like he's trying too hard.. if that's possible. Gripping the stick too hard, one could say.

I never have questioned Jones' compete level and honestly never see myself doing so.
I dont buy that... Jones has shown he can be physical when he wants... he hasnt remotely been physical this season. His size and speed, he could affect the game much more, with just a hint of nasty, playing more physical .

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
In some ways Stenlund is a guy who seems to perform as well or better in the NHL than AHL. I’d be curious of @Monstershockey take on that since he is more familiar with his AHL games.
It seems to be the case. I thought MacInnis played a much better game in the AHL, but the opposite seems to be the case in the NHL. It happens. Forsberg was a better goalie than Korpisalo in Cleveland, but we all see how that worked out. I am not totally sold on Stenlund yet, but I am starting to change my mind.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Jones for Barkov... gms are good friends, Laine and Barkov are great friends , not to mention... imagine that first line . I'm guessing Florida wouldnt make this trade
They sort of already have a version of Seth Jones in Aaron Ekblad. Granted the rest of their D sucks but yes, I'd probably laugh that offer off the table.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In some ways Stenlund is a guy who seems to perform as well or better in the NHL than AHL. I’d be curious of @Monstershockey take on that since he is more familiar with his AHL games.

It's a very interesting comparison also because Roslovic was a beast in the AHL, like about as good as Kyle Connor was.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Been trying to think of the options. There isn't a true top line on this team. I think we're looking at, essentially, the likelihood of three "2nd" line types... I'm preferential to some size and/or forecheck on each line provided they can keep up with the other two on the line. I'm going to change my mind many times but think there is a very good mix of talent and fortitude. It's getting them to play consistent and in one direction. Here's what I'm thinking:

Foligno - Domi - Laine
Jenner - Texier - Bjorkstrand
Robinson - Roslovic - Atkinson/Stenlund
Grigorenko/Stenlund - Koivu - Foudy

I monitor that "bottom" 6 and use Nash and Stenlund without hesitation. I think you need enough 200ft players to allow others to do their thing. I think there are a lot of interchangeable parts here and don't doubt if someone isn't moved for a pick to recover assets. I also toyed with:

Laine- Texier - Bjorkstrand
Jenner- Domi - Atkinson
Foligno - Roslovic - Foudy
Grigorenko/Stenlund - Koivu - Robinson

I think I like that one better. I like Stenlund, just want to see how the experienced guys adjust first. Makes the top line a little more offensive zone heavy but you have two shooters and a creative center. Bjork and Tex are defensively responsible and from the looks of clips, Laine isn't afraid of the D zone, just needs to understand the system and give effort. What I'm most excited about is to see if Tex and Roslovic can actually be top 6 centers. if they blossom, this could be a very good team, then add a guy like Marchenko and Chinakov to the mix and that's a lot of potential talent to work with, in a system that should support all three zones.

Now if only they can get a PP philosophy...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just thinking about the PP.

You need a RHS at the point to tee up Laine, so that's got to be Jones. That isn't the real playmaker spot, the right half wall is. Someone suggested Domi for that, but having Werenski in that spot might be even better. He is a better scoring threat than Domi so that forces the PKers to cover his shot lane, and I think he is very naturally deceptive and can threaten to pass to everyone from that spot. In the bumper we just need a RHS who can one time it in tight spaces. Bjorkstrand? Does he need more space?

In front, as I pointed out elsewhere, we're not looking for a screener, we're looking for someone that can score from in tight. You don't need a screen to beat a goalie when Laine is blasting it. You just need to get Laine's shot lane open, and to get the defenders out of position by threatening to score from all four other shooters. That to me means Atkinson. He's the best scorer from in tight. How would Texier do there? He would perhaps be better than Atkinson at passing back to the bumper or across to Laine. I'm not sure what to expect from Texier on the PP, not sure if that will be a strength of his. It would probably be ideal to have a LHS shot in front because they have to camp to the right of the goalie (the goalie's left), if you're on Laine's side of the goalie then you're bringing the guy checking you into Laine's shot lane. How is Roslovic in front? I know in Winnipeg Roslovic often played bumper on the second unit, it was always Kyle Connor in front on Laine's unit.

--------- Atkinson
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Werenski
--------- Jones

But I'm pretty uncertain about a lot of it. Could be done a few different ways.

---------- Cam/Tex/Rosie
Patty - Bjorky/Cam - Z/Max
---------- Seth

Ideal handedness to free up Laine's lane is:

--------- L
Laine -- R --- L
----------R

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
On a Finnish podcast they proposed a trade between CBJ and SJ. Either of your goalies for Tomas Hertl.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Just thinking about the PP.

You need a RHS at the point to tee up Laine, so that's got to be Jones. That isn't the real playmaker spot, the right half wall is. Someone suggested Domi for that, but having Werenski in that spot might be even better. He is a better scoring threat than Domi so that forces the PKers to cover his shot lane, and I think he is very naturally deceptive and can threaten to pass to everyone from that spot. In the bumper we just need a RHS who can one time it in tight spaces. Bjorkstrand? Does he need more space?

In front, as I pointed out elsewhere, we're not looking for a screener, we're looking for someone that can score from in tight. You don't need a screen to beat a goalie when Laine is blasting it. You just need to get Laine's shot lane open, and to get the defenders out of position by threatening to score from all four other shooters. That to me means Atkinson. He's the best scorer from in tight. How would Texier do there? He would perhaps be better than Atkinson at passing back to the bumper or across to Laine. I'm not sure what to expect from Texier on the PP, not sure if that will be a strength of his. It would probably be ideal to have a LHS shot in front because they have to camp to the right of the goalie (the goalie's left), if you're on Laine's side of the goalie then you're bringing the guy checking you into Laine's shot lane. How is Roslovic in front? I know in Winnipeg Roslovic often played bumper on the second unit, it was always Kyle Connor in front on Laine's unit.

--------- Atkinson
Laine - Bjorkstrand - Werenski
--------- Jones

But I'm pretty uncertain about a lot of it. Could be done a few different ways.

---------- Cam/Tex/Rosie
Patty - Bjorky/Cam - Z/Max
---------- Seth

Ideal handedness to free up Laine's lane is:

--------- L
Laine -- R --- L
----------R

I'd prefer Tex on that first PP for a couple of reasons: I think he is great at winning puck battles, he can finish from in tight, he can gain the zone a lot better than Cam and I think long term he belongs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad