Line Combos: Roster/lines discussion

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Pens fan coming in peace. I only read page 1 but surprising to see how much you guys seem to underrate Skinner as a C/W. I know with the big trade the logic goes you have to put 11 at 2C but do you think there's a reasonable chance Staal brothers play on the same line for a good chunk of the year with 11 centering?

I don't know where Skinner ends up, but it would be nuts to put a guy with that kind of skill and agility (who is not a D stud) on the 3rd line. I feel pretty strongly from seeing a lot of Staal and a fair amount of Skinner, that Skinner is easily the 2nd most skilled guy on your team. That's not a knock on Jordan but a compliment to Skinner...

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Pens fan coming in peace. I only read page 1 but surprising to see how much you guys seem to underrate Skinner as a C/W. I know with the big trade the logic goes you have to put 11 at 2C but do you think there's a reasonable chance Staal brothers play on the same line for a good chunk of the year with 11 centering?

I don't know where Skinner ends up, but it would be nuts to put a guy with that kind of skill and skating (who is not a D stud) on the 3rd line. I feel pretty strongly from seeing a lot of Staal and a fair amount of Skinner, that Skinner is easily the 2nd most skilled guy on your team. That's not a knock on Jordan but a compliment to Skinner...

If you are suggesting put Skinner at C, unfortunately it just doesn't work. His back checking is atrocious/non-existent. I'm sure we will sometime see a line of E Staal-J Staal-Semin, but we hope Jordan will anchor 2C. Losing Ruutu screwed up our flexibility in the lines, and is basically forcing us to separate the Staals as Jokinen and Skinner are best suited being kept at the wings.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I'm scared. Trading Pitkanen for scraps would just about ruin any optimism I've built up for this team.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If you are suggesting put Skinner at C, unfortunately it just doesn't work. His back checking is atrocious/non-existent. I'm sure we will sometime see a line of E Staal-J Staal-Semin, but we hope Jordan will anchor 2C. Losing Ruutu screwed up our flexibility in the lines, and is basically forcing us to separate the Staals as Jokinen and Skinner are best suited being kept at the wings.

That can easily be remedied.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
That can easily be remedied.

It can be but it's up to Skinner to put in the work to make it happen. I would have liked him to work on his defense in Charlotte, but then the insurance issues popped up. I would love him to be put at center, but it's simply not beneficial at this time, imo.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh

I don't know where Skinner ends up, but it would be nuts to put a guy with that kind of skill and agility (who is not a D stud) on the 3rd line. I feel pretty strongly from seeing a lot of Staal and a fair amount of Skinner, that Skinner is easily the 2nd most skilled guy on your team. That's not a knock on Jordan but a compliment to Skinner...

Skinner's the most skilled guy on our team in terms of hands. He has also been the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. He's extremely young though. The idea of putting him at wing is to shelter him somewhat and allow him to focus on offense at this point in his career, not to deny his talent.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Very surprised to hear that Sanguinetti has locked himself into a roster spot. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but it's interesting to hear JR so enthusiastic about him. I guess that having the time to watch more games in Charlotte has given him a fresh perspective on our kids down there. That bodes well for guys like Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, etc.

As far as the "clean up trades", you could be looking at guys like Nodl for future considerations. Stewart if anybody will take him. Long shot prospects paired with them for minimal returns. Moves to help the AHL club. I doubt we'll see anything at all significant move.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Skinner's the most skilled guy on our team in terms of hands. He has also been the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. He's extremely young though. The idea of putting him at wing is to shelter him somewhat and allow him to focus on offense at this point in his career, not to deny his talent.

He isn't the most skilled guy on the team anymore.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Very surprised to hear that Sanguinetti has locked himself into a roster spot. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but it's interesting to hear JR so enthusiastic about him. I guess that having the time to watch more games in Charlotte has given him a fresh perspective on our kids down there. That bodes well for guys like Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, etc.

As far as the "clean up trades", you could be looking at guys like Nodl for future considerations. Stewart if anybody will take him. Long shot prospects paired with them for minimal returns. Moves to help the AHL club. I doubt we'll see anything at all significant move.

It wouldn't shock me if JR traded McBain for a large forward who can hit things and play at least a little bit.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I saw all over the first page about Dalpe being in the middle 6 forwards...has something happened in Charlotte that I am not aware of? Dalpe was a huge disappointment his last stint here.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I saw all over the first page about Dalpe being in the middle 6 forwards...has something happened in Charlotte that I am not aware of? Dalpe was a huge disappointment his last stint here.

For the same reason that Boychuk's got a shot to make the team, they've both shown a lot in Charlotte.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If you are suggesting put Skinner at C, unfortunately it just doesn't work. His back checking is atrocious/non-existent.

But correcting bad back-checking habits is a heck of a lot easier to solve than say, someone who doesn't skate well or who has no vision. He's pretty young as Huracanista points out... seems harsh to deny him any chance at that position, assuming the available wingers on the top 2 lines then can balance out well. I know Ruutu's game pretty well but not the others so I can't say which combos would be best but with a little fire under him to be more defensively responsible,

Eric - Jordan - Ruutu
LW - Skinner - Semin

Could be pretty lethal. I could see Skinner and Semin racking up some big numbers pretty easily once they get used to each other. Not that LW - Jordan - Skinner wouldn't be a good line too... but with their vision and quickness, Skinner and Semin have the potential (if Semin doesn't have a brain fart) to be a great line.

Makes sense. I see him in the mold of someone like Eberle or Seguin though... playing C and W equally well as he matures, and helping to balance out your Top 6 whenever one position or the other has an injury issue or runs cold or whatever.

I'm happy with the trade as it was but I'd give Sutter, Dumoulin (who is doing really well / should fit in great when we have a slot for him), and that 8th pick for Skinner in a second, because of the above point that he's going to be a "play anywhere" kind of forward in the prime of his career. IMHO.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
But correcting bad back-checking habits is a heck of a lot easier to solve than say, someone who doesn't skate well or who has no vision. He's pretty young as Huracanista points out... seems harsh to deny him any chance at that position, assuming the available wingers on the top 2 lines then can balance out well. I know Ruutu's game pretty well but not the others so I can't say which combos would be best but with a little fire under him to be more defensively responsible,

Eric - Jordan - Ruutu
LW - Skinner - Semin

Could be pretty lethal. I could see Skinner and Semin racking up some big numbers pretty easily once they get used to each other. Not that LW - Jordan - Skinner wouldn't be a good line too... but with their vision and quickness, Skinner and Semin have the potential (if Semin doesn't have a brain fart) to be a great line.

Makes sense. I see him in the mold of someone like Eberle or Seguin though... playing C and W equally well as he matures, and helping to balance out your Top 6 whenever one position or the other has an injury issue or runs cold or whatever.

I'm happy with the trade as it was but I'd give Sutter, Dumoulin (who is doing really well / should fit in great when we have a slot for him), and that 8th pick for Skinner in a second, because of the above point that he's going to be a "play anywhere" kind of forward in the prime of his career. IMHO.

Ruutu is out until May so that top line RW would turn into LaRose in your scenarios.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Eric - Jordan - Ruutu
LW - Skinner - Semin

I just don't see the point unless Eric and Jordan have some Sedin-style chemistry. You are moving a proven top tier center in the league (Eric) to wing in order to put an unproven one (Skinner) there who has a ton of work to do to round out his game. Maybe on the powerplay.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Ruutu is out until May so that top line RW would turn into LaRose in your scenarios.

AH. OK I didn't realize he was hurt. I guess then it does make more sense to put Skinner at RW by my own "play anywhere" logic. BTW I should note there are others in Pittsburgh who would disagree with me about swapping Sutter / Dumoulin / 8th for Skinner (if they could go back). Virtually everyone, myself included, is real happy to have Sutter and excited to see him become part of the team's core. Actually people are pretty excited to see Dumoulin get his shot one of these days also (probably next year after we make a bunch of roster changes in the summer).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I just don't see the point unless Eric and Jordan have some Sedin-style chemistry. You are moving a proven top tier center in the league (Eric) to wing in order to put an unproven one (Skinner) there who has a ton of work to do to round out his game. Maybe on the powerplay.

Yah I don't know if they would or not, hard to say. They're familiar with one other's game obviously but are very different kinds of players so you may be right. It's worth a look early in the season though IMO.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
And the article is also by David Droschak who was the NC sports editor for the AP. This may have some legs.

I don't think you'll see any major moves, but clearing up dead weight in the bottom 6 could definitely happen. Nodl, Stewart, and Dwyer aren't exactly big gritty guys that Muller has made it clear he wants. Wallace is. It would also make sense to get as many Checkers in the lineup early to take advantage of the fact they are all in game shape.

I don't think you see JR move a defenseman just so Sanguinetti has a spot. That would be moronic.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think you'll see any major moves, but clearing up dead weight in the bottom 6 could definitely happen. Nodl, Stewart, and Dwyer aren't exactly big gritty guys that Muller has made it clear he wants. Wallace is. It would also make sense to get as many Checkers in the lineup early to take advantage of the fact they are all in game shape.

I don't think you see JR move a defenseman just so Sanguinetti has a spot. That would be moronic.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Nodl's going to be gone via trade. Stewart gone via waivers. Dwyer actually has the ability to play a 3rd line role from time to time so we'll probably keep him around. Otherwise this is all making room for guys with more toughness like Brett Sutter, Wallace, and Blanchard who was a strong candidate for a late season callup last year had the Checkers been in better playoff position.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Nodl's going to be gone via trade. Stewart gone via waivers. Dwyer actually has the ability to play a 3rd line role from time to time so we'll probably keep him around. Otherwise this is all making room for guys with more toughness like Brett Sutter, Wallace, and Blanchard who was a strong candidate for a late season callup last year had the Checkers been in better playoff position.

I heard Muller on NHL radio this morning and he said that because they were splitting the Staals up, Jordan would play against the other teams top line opening up opportunities for the 3rd line to be a more offensive line. That would lend credence to Jokinen centering it with Boychuk/Bowman/Dalpe etc. If that's how it's played I don't see a role for Dwyer other than 4th line and PK. Not that those things aren't valuable, it just doesn't seem like he fits what Muller is trying to do. I also think he was made to look better than he actually is by riding shotgun with Brandon Sutter and they may want to trade while he has at least a little bit of value.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Jokinen-Staal-Larose
Skinner-Brent-Dalpe
Nodl-Welsh-Dwyer

This is in regards to Stewart being traded and Larose and Nodl kept.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Jokinen-Staal-Larose
Skinner-Brent-Dalpe
Nodl-Welsh-Dwyer

This is in regards to Stewart being traded and Larose and Nodl kept.

Terrible, take a lap.

Just kidding, but only kind of. I REALLY hope Brent is not the answer to the third line. He's a 28 year old who hasn't scored more than that many points in any NHL season, and barely has 20 goals for his career. I doubt he'll break out all of a sudden.

Also, Bowman may have cooled off lately, but I'd still like to see him get a shot. Plus Boychuk leads the Checkers in goals and points.

I say **** it and put together a line of those 2 and Dalpe. They ride together, they die together.

Tlusty // Eric // Semin
Jokinen // Jordan // Skinner
Bowman // Dalpe // Boychuk
Sutter // Brent // LaRose
Wallace

I don't hate it, but I don't love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad