Line Combos: Roster/lines discussion

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This one jumps out at me:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Rutherford says 6-7 players who started season with Checkers could start season with Canes.

I guess it kind of makes sense as those guys are in game shape. In a shortened schedule they are going to need fresh bodies as many of the regulars aren't in game shape and the schedule is compressed.

1: Faulk for sure
2, 3: Bowman and a back-up goalie likely so that's 3.
4, 5: Maybe Sanguinetti (as a #7 D) and 1 other top 9 forward (Dalpe, Welsh, Boychuk)
6: Add in maybe a 3rd/4th liner like Sutter or Wallace.

EDIT: Looks like others had similar posts

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This one jumps out at me:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Rutherford says 6-7 players who started season with Checkers could start season with Canes.

As Cory Laviolette tweeted in response, how many players can make the team? 11 healthy forwards, 5 D, and Ward.

Faulk will get called up for 6 D. Sanguinetti seems almost guaranteed. Unless Boucher makes a quick recovery, one of the goalies will be on the team. Then who? 2 more forwards to get to 13 makes 5 total players, not 6 or 7.

Unless someone other than Ruutu is hurt...

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I understand who we're dealing with and why we'll need all those Checkers (and Faulk), but seriously. Keeping all those guys up to start out will really screw up Daniels and Co, IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I understand who we're dealing with and why we'll need all those Checkers (and Faulk), but seriously. Keeping all those guys up to start out will really screw up Daniels and Co, IMO.

I suspect Charlotte will not be the only team in this boat though

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

OKC's going to be decimated. They'll be absolute garbage once RNH, Eberlee, Hall, Schultz, and one of MSP and Hartikainen are up.

Charlotte will feel the pain a bit, but I honestly think they have enough depth that they'll get through it. And if we go out and sign a guy like Arnott as the #3 guy they'll be in great shape.

The biggest thing that would hurt Charlotte is losing both Faulk and Sangs. It would make their 3 headed offensive D monster into a very containable one headed only by Gragnani.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh

Obviously not. Oklahoma City and Houston will get destroyed from players returning to the NHL, and other teams won't be too far behind.

I still don't think it's wise to bring up that many Checkers and rotate them in/out of the lineup with the realistic-looking lineup that Dave posted a page back. If Boychuk is playing well, but Bowman's a better fit for the third line...then we're stuck either shifting players around or letting him sit. That's wasting a player who has been the most consistent and productive player for the Checkers to this point in the season.

Also, I agree on the Welsh thing. I don't quite think he's ready as of yet, and think a little bit longer in the AHL will do him some good to develop and get used to playing as a professional.

Sanguinetti/Gragnani(if healthy any time soon) make sense as #7D. Bowman makes sense as a 3rd liner. Wallace makes sense to bring up some grit/use as a healthy extra. Ellis has played well enough to earn the spot while Boucher gets back into game-shape. Faulk is obvious. But I just don't really see the use in bringing up Boychuk/whoever else right away to sit as a second healthy extra, or forcing Welsh into a spot that he's not ready for as of yet.

So basically, although I understand why it's going to happen, I don't agree with bringing up that many players all at once and destroying something that's building in Charlotte so far.

EDIT: As it's been mentioned, sign a #3C for a year (Arnott), and let Welsh develop a bit more before throwing him into a situation he might not be ready for yet.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I'd look for the Checkers to go on a long, long slide that sees them missing the playoffs if Sanguinetti makes the team, regardless of any other losses. With both him and Faulk gone, Gragnani will be the only D with any sort of skill and he's been hurt constantly. It's the same deal last year where Sanguinetti was the only offensive D (except for the 12 games Faulk played) and missed 25 games.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Petr Sykora was expected to re-sign with the Devils, but evidently one side or the other backed out for one reason or another. Nice second line fill-in for Ruutu? Yes, I realize they play completely different styles, but we need the scoring.

Oh, and I know you all missed me. And I'm not even sure I'm coming back. This lockout has made me mad. I know it's made everyone mad, but I can't even talk about lines or games yet. I saw the note about Sykora and I tried to see him fitting in here, but I just don't care. I can't see past the elephant in the room. I can't watch Gary Bettman at a podium apologizing. In my opinion, he's simply got to resign. I got totally invested into this game over the course of many years and he just doesn't get to do this, let alone three times. And now he doesn't get to pretend it didn't happen and everything is fine.

The trust is broken, and it has been for a long time. I think getting rid of Bettman is the single best thing the NHL can do to win back fans. SHOW us you're sorry. SHOW us you want to move on. We're not going to need another CBA for 7-8-9 years anyhow. I'm certain the players will move the day-to-day responsibilities over to Steve Fehr from Donald any day now. There's no reason for Don to be involved. His job is done.

Let's make a clean start with Daly and Steve Fehr and rid ourselves of the polarizing guys who broke the fans trust, especially Bettman.

That's what I think they should put on the ice instead of "Thank you fans" this time around. Put Gary's mugshot with the words "I'd like to announce my resignation, effective immediately ..."

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So basically, although I understand why it's going to happen, I don't agree with bringing up that many players all at once and destroying something that's building in Charlotte so far.

I can see both sides of it, and if they are truly just sitting around for an extended period, then I agree. But if they are getting regular or rotated playing time, then I"m fine with it. I can easily see a scenario for 5 guys without having any of them sit around or play out of position or forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Dalpe/Boychuk
Bowman-Jokinen-LaRose
Nodl-Brent-Dwyer

On D (I won't try the pairings), Faulk, Gleason, Pitkanan, McBain, Harrison, Corvo, Sanguinetti.

Ward
Peters / Ellis

So that's 5 guys that wouldn't be sitting around and wouldn't be out of position IMO. If they add someone like Wallace, he could get some PT on the 4th line on a somewhat regular basis as. Plus with this compressed schedule and no training camp, there will be injuries and time off needed. Anyhow, I'm not worried about Charlotte. Of course I want them to do well, but if they lose more games because they lost players to the NHL, then so be it. They are a farm team and Daniels and company know the deal with that. They do have some depth on offense (Terry, Samson, Dalpe/Boychuk, Sutter, Shugg, etc...) and while they will be hurt on D, they do have guys that have been scratches and/or can play a more prominent role now.

Many on this board have lamented for years how the Canes don't give their prospects a chance to really play on the NHL club. If JR/Muller really do pull 6 guys up and give them meaningful playing time, I"m all for it.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Petr Sykora was expected to re-sign with the Devils, but evidently one side or the other backed out for one reason or another. Nice second line fill-in for Ruutu? Yes, I realize they play completely different styles, but we need the scoring.

Oh, and I know you all missed me. And I'm not even sure I'm coming back. This lockout has made me mad. I know it's made everyone mad, but I can't even talk about lines or games yet. I saw the note about Sykora and I tried to see him fitting in here, but I just don't care. I can't see past the elephant in the room. I can't watch Gary Bettman at a podium apologizing. In my opinion, he's simply got to resign. I got totally invested into this game over the course of many years and he just doesn't get to do this, let alone three times. And now he doesn't get to pretend it didn't happen and everything is fine.

The trust is broken, and it has been for a long time. I think getting rid of Bettman is the single best thing the NHL can do to win back fans. SHOW us you're sorry. SHOW us you want to move on. We're not going to need another CBA for 7-8-9 years anyhow. I'm certain the players will move the day-to-day responsibilities over to Steve Fehr from Donald any day now. There's no reason for Don to be involved. His job is done.

Let's make a clean start with Daly and Steve Fehr and rid ourselves of the polarizing guys who broke the fans trust, especially Bettman.

That's what I think they should put on the ice instead of "Thank you fans" this time around. Put Gary's mugshot with the words "I'd like to announce my resignation, effective immediately ..."

Can't say I blame you, and Sykora would be an interesting option if he'd do it.

But as for Gary, he does his job of being the guy to hate. Personally I'm with you in that I'd like to see Daly take over the day to day operations, or possibly even the guy they brought in from the NFL who came up with the Winter Classic idea and a lot of other things that have worked very nicely. But I think we're going to have to wait a couple seasons for Gary to go. The owners will want to see what the fallout is from this lockout, and if the 2013-14 season is still fed up fans and low turnout at the gate, Gary's gonna go. Otherwise I think he'll be here through the NHL's 2017 centennial and then leave things to Daly.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
An I missing something here? 11 forwards + 5 D +1 G = 17. The active roster max is 23, correct? 23-17=6.

Even if we discount the possibility of having 23 guys on the roster I read the statement as there COULD be 6-7 Checkers. We are really stretching to get bent out of shape here, so I guess we are in mid season form.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
An I missing something here? 11 forwards + 5 D +1 G = 17. The active roster max is 23, correct? 23-17=6.

Even if we discount the possibility of having 23 guys on the roster I read the statement as there COULD be 6-7 Checkers. We are really stretching to get bent out of shape here, so I guess we are in mid season form.

I was going to say something similar, but thought the discussion on who the 6-7 "could" be was more entertaining. :) But I agree, it's a stretch to be concerned at this point.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
On my phone now, so I'm not going to be quoting posts...

@Boomboomanton
Yeah, that's mainly what I'm concerned about. How the Charlotte guys would be used is what concerns me. I know we always talk about giving them productive playing time, but I don't know if theoretically having a guy besides Wallace in the box at times is the best for their development. Yes, they can learn from watching the system or whatever, but I just don't want them to be wasted.

@JoeMcGrath
I'd hope we were in midseason form. We need to come out of the gate strong with our opinions and arguments just like the Canes need to come out of the gate strong. It's far more fun that way. :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think welsh is maybe ahead of most of the others. Obviously they like him, which always goes a long way, but his play has improved enough to the point of IMO he has a good shot. He can play on almost any line or role, whereas the others can be limited more that way. He'll get a shot at the third or fourth line center spot.

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
Have Welsh center the 4th line like Sutter did and gradually put him up to 3rd line after he gets NHL speed.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think welsh is maybe ahead of most of the others. Obviously they like him, which always goes a long way, but his play has improved enough to the point of IMO he has a good shot. He can play on almost any line or role, whereas the others can be limited more that way. He'll get a shot at the third or fourth line center spot.

Is he good in the face off circle? Do they even track that in the AHL? If he's better at it than the options I would think that would help his cause a lot.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So I assume this is Dalpe and Boychuk's last real shot here if they don't make the team?

Given this is going to be a strange, shortened season, who knows for sure. Probably not Dalpe. A number of forwards are Free Agents next season (Semin if he's not re-signed, LaRose, Nodl, Stewart, Brent, Wallace).

If Boychuk and Sanguinetti come to training camp and don't make the team, do they need to go through waivers again to go back to Charlotte? Or since they already passed through waivers to get to Charlotte, do they have to again? How will that work?

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
So I assume this is Dalpe and Boychuk's last real shot here if they don't make the team?

I guess so. The vast majority of our "prospects" are really way too old to be prospects. Welsh and Sanguinetti will turn 25 during this season (aka Jordan Staal's age). Nash, Boychuk, and Dalpe turn 24 (aka Brandon Sutter's age).

You can't expect anything in terms of top 6/top 4 play out of these guys, they're now in the stage where they have to earn their jobs like any other journeyman player.

Bowman and Welsh have one way deals next year, so clearly they've proven themselves to the organization. Bowman has great two way play and Welsh has size and is a natural center. They're two really good bottom 6 players of the future.

No point in being excited about Charlotte. Faulk, Skinner, and Ryan Murphy are our potential future all stars. We'll see what happens with Victor Rask.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
No clue on the legitimacy. Forwards make sense, but, just like the Trade Board thread mentioning McBain and Pitkanen, I have my doubts about the defense. Trading Pitkanen would be a massive head scratcher unless it meant M. Staal coming our way (Yeah, I know. Not happening). Maybe I could see McBain (RH PMD who could be replaced by Murphy or Sanguinetti). But still, losing McBain would be terrible. I can't see either Sangs or Murphy being able to match him defensively. That is more of an criticism of their defense than a compliment of McBain.

What Summer Ruutu below quoted is also disturbing. It seems like JR is just doing **** to do ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad