Line Combos: Roster/lines discussion

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Like I said, patchwork. If you have to, send Jokinen or somebody out to take the faceoff, send him right back to the bench. Not the cleanest thing in the world but it's been done before.

It's not just about the face off. Playing center is a whole different world in all 3 zones than playing wing, more magnified in the defensive zone.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's not just about the face off. Playing center is a whole different world in all 3 zones than playing wing, more magnified in the defensive zone.

I'm aware of that. But Bowman should know plenty about playing center, he only did it his entire career until last season.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I'm aware of that. But Bowman should know plenty about playing center, he only did it his entire career until last season.

That was true of Dalpe and Boychuk, I thought Bowman was drafted as a wing and has spent his entire professional career as a wing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That was true of Dalpe and Boychuk, I thought Bowman was drafted as a wing and has spent his entire professional career as a wing.

Yeah, I pretty sure that Bowman has been a LW for quite some time. I don't think he has much (at least not recent) center experience. Even Boychuk has played pretty much exclusively wing since he turned pro.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Either way, if I see Bowman or LaRose or Dwyer up on the 2nd line and Jussi on the third tonight, I am going to seriously consider the idea that the people running this team are completely ****ed in the head.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Tlusty-EStaal-LaRose
Skinner-JStaal-Semin

You know it's going to happen at some point this season... :sarcasm:

(Though that would be the best 2nd line in the league...)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Either way, if I see Bowman or LaRose or Dwyer up on the 2nd line and Jussi on the third tonight, I am going to seriously consider the idea that the people running this team are completely ****ed in the head.

IF you see it? My guess is that you will see that. Honestly though, until they get a VIABLE option for a 3rd line Center, they don't have much of an option but to leave Jussi there (or move Brent up, but that's not great either).

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Jokinen, whether you like it or not, will probably stay at center until either (a) Ruutu comes back, (b) Muller experiments yielding a train wreck of 3rd line or (c) JR signs a 3C. It sucks, but we've been screwed ever sense Ruutu's surgery.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Jokinen, whether you like it or not, will probably stay at center until either (a) Ruutu comes back, (b) Muller experiments yielding a train wreck of 3rd line or (c) JR signs a 3C. It sucks, but we've been screwed ever sense Ruutu's surgery.

I don't think Ruutu would be suited for that role either. JR must have envisioned Welsh taking the the 3C role (as completely short sighted as it is) because there is no way Jokinen centering the third line was his first choice. Ruutu either. Not having a true 3C is ofcourse a much better problem to have than not having a 2C.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
IF you see it? My guess is that you will see that.

I know. *sigh*

I guess I got to thinking about years ago when teams really only played 3 lines. With the shortened season it could work because there's not a "long-term" to think about. Maybe that's a Pejorative Slured idea but somebody around there needs to start thinking outside the box a little.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I don't think Ruutu would be suited for that role either. JR must have envisioned Welsh taking the the 3C role (as completely short sighted as it is) because there is no way Jokinen centering the third line was his first choice. Ruutu either. Not having a true 3C is ofcourse a much better problem to have than not having a 2C.

Would Ruutu be the ideal 3C? Of course not, but at least you'd be able to rotate Jokinen and Ruutu around from 2nd line wing to 3rd line center and back.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I tend to agree with Joe. I have to think JR thought Welsh would grab that role and Muller was thinking he'd have forward lines such as:

Jokinen-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu

or

Staal-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Ruutu-Jokinen

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC

Yes, I think that is exactly the problem. JR never even looked to sign a 3C because he banked on Welsh taking that spot, and as a back-up he just figured Jokinen would take it. Ruutu was probably slotted to be on the 2nd line (Skinner-JStaal-Ruutu), but add in him out and now it's two positions we've got to fill in for.

Jokinen would be perfect to fill in on the 2nd line, but whoops, we need him for 3C now. So we're stuck trying to rotate around the young guys and LaRose trying to see if anyone will stick.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think the worst part about the 3C situation is that there are at least 2 guys in Charlotte that this organization thought would plug that hole by now (Nash and Welsh) and neither are ready (and one hasn't shown many signs of ever being ready). They identify a guy to bring in on the cheap and act like he's the answer only to find out they were wrong and being a solid college player doesn't mean you are a pro the next day.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Losing Ruutu really screwed things up. But what's worse is that in his absence the org won't just make a decision and stick with it. Does anybody other than the entrenched guys really get a fair shake on this team? If I'm a young guy and suddenly get put on the second line, my butt cheeks are clenching up every time I take the ice because I know I have to produce now or get sent back to Charlotte or the bench. That's no way to engender trust or team chemistry.

I guess I've only lately begun to realize how poorly managed this team is and it makes me sick.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
In an 82 game season, I'd be more upset with the impatience of waiting for the young guys but in this short season, we can't just wait for guys to produce. When the team is winning, it's easier to just keep rolling the lines but a 5 game losing streak would hurt bad right now.

Furthermore, Dalpe had time on the top six, and was barely noticeable out there besides dump and chase. It's not like he was lighting teams up but not converting.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The over-reaction by some on this board for Dalpe getting sent down boarders on comical.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The over-reaction by some on this board for Dalpe getting sent down boarders on comical.

Or maybe it just encapsulates the frustration that nobody with the org seems to have any idea how to develop a forward prospect. I don't think that's comical in the least.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Or maybe it just encapsulates the frustration that nobody with the org seems to have any idea how to develop a forward prospect. I don't think that's comical in the least.

The larger issue is identifying the problem. Is it that they players aren't properly developed, or were they never that good to begin with, or a combination of the two.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

What's comical that sending a guy down who is struggling to score and not offering much else in a top 6 role is thought to be such a bad idea for his development.

Why not wait for the season to unfold a little more and see where this goes before jumping off the cliff about Dalpe.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
What's comical that sending a guy down who is struggling to score and not offering much else in a top 6 role is thought to be such a bad idea for his development.

Why not wait for the season to unfold a little more and see where this goes before jumping off the cliff about Dalpe.

Once again, it is NOT about Dalpe.

What happens when Rask finally makes it up and he doesn't make an immediate impact either? Does he get cut too? Sent back and forth from Charlotte to Raleigh over and over, given crap minutes on the fourth line with a couple pluggers? Dick around with him enough until his confidence is shot and he doesn't know which end is up, then call him a bust and waive him. Sooner or later, you have to conclude the problem is with the chiefs, not the Indians.

All I know is this: I only have allegiences to two pro sports teams. The other team is maybe not elite, but a pretty consistent winner, and watching the way the Hurricanes handle their prospects in comparison to the other org is really, really embarrassing.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Once again, it is NOT about Dalpe.

What happens when Rask finally makes it up and he doesn't make an immediate impact either? Does he get cut too? Sent back and forth from Charlotte to Raleigh over and over, given crap minutes on the fourth line with a couple pluggers? Dick around with him enough until his confidence is shot and he doesn't know which end is up, then call him a bust and waive him. Sooner or later, you have to conclude the problem is with the chiefs, not the Indians.

All I know is this: I only have allegiences to two pro sports teams. The other team is maybe not elite, but a pretty consistent winner, and watching the way the Hurricanes handle their prospects in comparison to the other org is really, really embarrassing.

What's the other team if you don't mind me asking?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: