Roster in 2017/18 - Part II

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
So we're abandoning the Matthias, Lowery, Armia line? I kinda liked the way they worked together last year.

I could see them re-united at some point down the stretch, Matthias has anvils for hands around the net though. I think putting Connor on the third line with Lowry and Armia gives Conner the opportunity to prove himself without the pressure of top 6 minutes.

Last edited:

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
I don't get the obsession with Lowry being such a failure to the team. 2 years down the stretch Winnipeg is going to be a cap team and the "Lowry's" are going to subsequently be affordable assets required to ice a competitive team. Do we have better options? Not really.... nothing proven anyway. I don't see Petan filling that role, I don't see Petan ever centering an NHL line on a full time basis unless he puts on 40lbs and grows a set, so that leaves who? MP, why would you not want MP in your top 6? He is one of maybe 2 Jets that can find and hit seams in the offensive zone, he has great hands, digs out pucks and I really like the idea of him feeding the puck to Laine.

This team is going to lose some players on the back end to stay under the cap, they don't need a 4m AAV 3rd line center.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't get the obsession with Lowry being such a failure to the team. 2 years down the stretch Winnipeg is going to be a cap team and the "Lowry's" are going to subsequently be affordable assets required to ice a competitive team. Do we have better options? Not really.... nothing proven anyway. I don't see Petan filling that role, I don't see Petan ever centering an NHL line on a full time basis unless he puts on 40lbs and grows a set, so that leaves who? MP, why would you not want MP in your top 6? He is one of maybe 2 Jets that can find and hit seams in the offensive zone, he has great hands, digs out pucks and I really like the idea of him feeding the puck to Laine.

This team is going to lose some players on the back end to stay under the cap, they don't need a 4m AAV 3rd line center.

If anyone thinks Lowry isn't going to be a big part of the team going forward they haven't been paying attention. The only way Lowry isn't the #3 center is the Jets acquire a center that slides in between him and Little on the depth chart. And unless something funky happens with a big trade in the run up to the season that window has closed. Petan hasn't demonstrated anywhere near what Lowry has especially on the defensive side of the ice. And Roslovic IMO is just not ready and we have no need to rush him. The Jets don't need a ton of offense from Lowry as their top 6 will score in bunches. Maurice likes and trusts Lowry and he will play lots. People can complain about Maurice all they want but he has the undisputed control of the room and he will be calling all the shots. And rightly so he will be judged on how the team performs. But I think we have a lot of success this season.

I can see Connor playing on the 3rd with Lowry and Armia with a corresponding uptick in offense, into average 3rd line production with good shot suppression. IMO MP will stay in the top 6 with Little, and the remaining question is which 2 out of Ehlers, Wheeler and Laine will be playing with Scheifele on the 1st line. The 4th will be some combination of Copp, Dano, Matthias, Petan & Hendricks.

But IMO the biggest unknown is goaltending. If Mason comes in and gives us .920 range starting goaltending and we see some improvement in team discipline and special teams play we should be in for a fun season. of course there will be lots of griping and complaining along the way, but that gets easier and easier to tune out if we start contending.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The team has solid 4 sets of c

Scheifele
Little
Lowry
Copp

Roslovic can slide in middle six for few games on call up when injury happens.
He should be ready in 2-3 to be regular , as c
And he might slide in to the team as winger to start his 1-2 years.
Then you slide cop to the wing

Jeffsrig

Jan 27, 2015
Innisfail
Ehlers-Sheif-Wheels = Greasy fast transition line, no one in the league will touch this line for speed.

MP-Little-Laine= Little and MP great possession and structured position players, both can dish the puck well and are scoring threats, we all know what Laine is good at. Putting Laine on the same line as Sheif is just silliness that makes matchups easier for the other team. I wouldn't even put them together on PP.

Connor-Lowry-Armia = It has been beat to death that this line has been weak offensively, I like Matthias' grit but putting a goal scorer on this line could make all the difference. This line was always capeable of getting pucks in deep just never was able to generate anything.

Matthias, Copp, Tanev, Dano, Petan, Hendricks = Copp is going to play center here unless he moves up the lineup, If these guys are getting more than 4 minutes a night it means we are winning. Mattias and Hendricks were allegedly aquired to help with penalty killing, having 4th line players that are good penalty killers is like having cake and eating it no matter how bad they suck 5v5.

Kulikov-Buff = I don't know a lot about Kulikov but if he is a solid stay at home defenseman who can pass and skate I would like him tied to Buff all season.

Trouba-Morrissey = These two were made for each other, this would be my #1 D deployment..... ok Huddy?

Myers-Enstrom = Probably the best 3rd pairing in the NHL, definitely the highest paid. Sign Trouba, move Myers before UFA or walks in 2019 to free up Cap for Laine, Enstrom signs front loaded contract and retires in 3 years.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
This would be my preferred lineup to start the year...

Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Ehlers Little Laine
Perreault Copp Dano
Petan Lowry Armia

Matthais Hendricks

Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers

Chiarot

Mason
Hellebuyck

Copp and Petan could be interchangeable. Even minutes top 6; even minutes bottom 6.

Hendricks and Matthais in the PB...pipe dream.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

Totally agree with you but it seems like teams are really starting to run 3 lines that can score now a days,Lowry is a play killer in my mind no chemistry will ever be created while he is bumbling the puck up and down the ice.Don't get me wrong I really like him but I think the one last move the Jets need to make in order to make a push this year is to pick up a 3rd line center with some experience.Lowry gets pushed to the 4th line now making that a real strong line up.A Nick Bonino type pick up for a playoff run is in order in my mind.Then Roslovic could step in next year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If Connor is ready for top 6 i'd go with MP as our 3C and Lowry 4C.

Perreault can take FO's and he's more of a puck distributor. And while he's not the greatest defensive player, i think he's experienced enough to adjust to the role.

With MP as the 3C we could form a 3rd line capable of scoring. Armia, Dano, Copp and Matthias are all options there and you go with the best chemistry. Rest drop down to the sandpaper 4th line.

Perreault discussed in a recent interview that he prefers wing.
A lifetime of face off taking has created a shoulder issue for him that he aggravates through playing center.

His best play for us has been as a winger.
Based on that we should let him excel on the wing and fill that spot with another player.

EDIT: ah damn. well there goes that.

If we could somehow snag Oscar Lindberg from Vegas, that would be perfect.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
If Connor is ready for top 6 i'd go with MP as our 3C and Lowry 4C.

Perreault can take FO's and he's more of a puck distributor. And while he's not the greatest defensive player, i think he's experienced enough to adjust to the role.

With MP as the 3C we could form a 3rd line capable of scoring. Armia, Dano, Copp and Matthias are all options there and you go with the best chemistry. Rest drop down to the sandpaper 4th line.

EDIT: ah damn. well there goes that.

If we could somehow snag Oscar Lindberg from Vegas, that would be perfect.

He's probably among the best defensive fwds on our team though, behind Wheeler & maybe Lowry IMO

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would like to see

Perreault-Scheif-Laine, our best playmaker with our two best shooters.

Ehlers-Little-Wheeler, good head to head defensive line.

Connor-Copp-Armia, defensive line, speed on the wings is above average.

Matthias-Lowry-Lemieux, this is a very physical line, can play the 4th line grind extremely well. I think Lemieux is going to get favoured over Dano sooner or later in Maurice's books.

Hendricks, with Dano and Tanev competing for the last spot.

Carry the top line into the 1st PP, with Lowry in the kitchen, or Lemieux, Ehlers and Trouba on the point.

Wheeler refuses to be the net front presence that Ladd was in leadership, so I put him as the leader of the 2nd unit PP. with his linemates, Buff crashing and either Kulikov or Morrissey shooting accurately from the point. Enstrom in particular never sees another PP unit again, Buff does not get enough pucks to the net, does not backcheck hard enough to be the highest player in any formation, but is still a daunting force in the corners or inside the circles.

Defense
Morrissey- Trouba are the horses.

Enstrom-Myers get shutdown assignments.

Kulikov-Buff, poor Kulikov is going to have to be alert with Buff on the ice. This pair could see the most minutes, when the big man is rolling, or the least among our d if the buff is roaming out of control, and lazy in his habits.

PK
Matthias-Lowry
Armia-Coop
Wheeler-Little

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice's opening day lineup...
Laine Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Dano
(Tanev Hendricks)

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Enstrom Myers
(Chiarot)
Mason
Hellebuyck
sticking to this guess...

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Laine Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Dano
(Tanev Hendricks)

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Enstrom Myers
(Chiarot)
Mason
Hellebuyck

sticking to this guess...

The line blender could come out and to me certain aspects of above make sense to try.
Kuli with Buff
I prefer that 4th line to ones with Hendricks at C or RW.

If Petan or Roslovic are not in the mix then that makes sense to me.
Based on current stuff we can maybe expect a Hendricks 4th line which drops someone out. If either P or R do make the team then you can blow up the lines in many ways and make 4 (in paper) great lines (for their roles). Also may get Enstrom / Buff

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Probably will get Enstrom and Buff...the blender coming out has already been confirmed by Maurice.
I see Roslo centering a line next year for the Jets and maybe even later this season but I don't think he makes it out of TC.
I just don't see Petan knocking Copp, Matthias of Dano off of the 4th line. I woyld't sit hinm in the pressbox, I would give him lots of time on the LW with Roslo down on the farm. Lots of PP time too.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Petan
Lemieux (Matthias) -Lowry-Armia

Dano and Copp in PB. Tanev and Hendricks to ECHL.

Trouba-Morrisey
Buff-Enstrom
Myers-Kulikov
Poolman

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Petan

Trouba-Morrisey
Buff-Enstrom
Myers-Kulikov
Poolman

Great lineup. I'd probably swap out Dano for Armia and Copp for Lemieux but thats minor. I'd also swap Perreault with Connor just to balance out the experience. But overall, we are on the same page.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Petan

Trouba-Morrisey
Buff-Enstrom
Myers-Kulikov
Poolman
That third line would get a good education most games.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Dano
(Tanev Hendricks)

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Enstrom Myers
(Chiarot)
Mason
Hellebuyck

Ha, this is exactly how I would've penciled the starting line-up as well. Good job!
Also, should Roslovic show some serious signs of progression, I'd love to see him given a tryout either between MP & Ehlers, or with Connor & Armia. Will have to see I suppose.

Really love how the team looks on the paper. Hopefully there's no huge surprises and powerplay is for once being built properly. Don't want to get hopes up too high though, while knowing what I know. :laugh:

There's no way this team isn't contending for at least getting into the playoffs. If Maurice shows any signs of having thumb in his mouth, they just have to deal with him right there and then.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Here's what I've got after 3 preseason games. This could change in the next 10 days, but this is what players have shown me so far (I'm assuming Hendricks has to be in here because Mo's gonna play him).

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Perreault Little Wheeler
Petan Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Hendricks
Dano in pb

Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Myers
Kulikov Buff
Chiarot pb, Poolman 1st call-up

Mason
Helle

Roslo and Connor haven't shown me enough. No shame in sending them down. If we want this to be the year then the NHL isn't the place to develop them right now.

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Here's what I've got after 3 preseason games. This could change in the next 10 days, but this is what players have shown me so far (I'm assuming Hendricks has to be in here because Mo's gonna play him).

Ehlers Scheifele Laine
Perreault Little Wheeler
Petan Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Hendricks
Dano in pb

Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Myers
Kulikov Buff
Chiarot pb, Poolman 1st call-up

Mason
Helle

Roslo and Connor haven't shown me enough. No shame in sending them down. If we want this to be the year then the NHL isn't the place to develop them right now.

I like it. It never crossed my mind about Connor before I read your post but I agree 100 percent.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like it. It never crossed my mind about Connor before I read your post but I agree 100 percent.

I'd give Connor a few more games. He didn't get a chance in the first game due to penalties.

Petan though does look good and if he keeps it up I could see him force up his way in. I guess the question mark is the Armia injury.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd give Connor a few more games. He didn't get a chance in the first game due to penalties.

Petan though does look good and if he keeps it up I could see him force up his way in. I guess the question mark is the Armia injury.

I thought Connor showed well in this game. Made good plays with the puck and created plenty of turnovers.

Hopefully Armia isn't out at all.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought Connor showed well in this game. Made good plays with the puck and created plenty of turnovers.

Hopefully Armia isn't out at all.

I agree about Connor. I thought he was effective in a very tight game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad