Roster in 2017/18 - Part II

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
"still a feeling out process of where he actually comes in"...But there's gonna be competition, there's opportunities but not...." then goes on to talk about how important Lemiux and Rosolvic look and them coming into the lineup sooner rather than latter. and then talks about guys who played in the NHL not making the team.

doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement. Doesn't sound like a guaranteed lineup spot.

Yup, there's competition, that's what he said. He also said "it's not important where you start, it's important where you finish", so clearly Dano, who finished in the pressbox, is the odd man out, right?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm pretty sure Chevy meant that there was a number of spots in the bottom 6 up for grabs and whoever performed best would get them.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Ehlers-Sheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Copp-Henricks
Tanev-Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot

Mason
Hellebuyck

I like this lineup but I would switch Conner and Perreault to start the season to give Conner the best chance to succeed offensively and get his confidence up that he is NHL ready. Also I really do not want Conner playing with Lowry. I think Perrault can help the Lowry line score more without hurting their defensive play. Problem with this is Perraurlt has a history of not being anywhere near as productive on offence when he plays outside of the top 6 but that was usually when he was playing C so if he is on the left side maybe he can still be productive.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Ehlers-Sheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Copp-Henricks
Tanev-Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot

Mason
Hellebuyck

I'm with Skidooboy, Matthias on the outside looking in.

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Petan - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Dano
Spares: Matthias, Hendricks, Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Spare: Chiarot

Mason
Hellebuyck

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm with Skidooboy, Matthiis Is on the outside looking in.

Ehlers - Scheif - Laine
Perreault - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Petan - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Dano
Spares: Matthias, Hendricks, Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Spare: Chiarot

Mason
Hellebuyck

I like that but I'd switch Connor and MP. Connor is sheltered by the experience of Little and Wheeler. Petan is sheltered by the experience of MP and, to a lesser degree, Armia. Connor, Petan, Armia is a pretty inexperienced line. Even Armia's defensive excellence would be hard pressed by strong opposition.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I like that but I'd switch Connor and MP. Connor is sheltered by the experience of Little and Wheeler. Petan is sheltered by the experience of MP and, to a lesser degree, Armia. Connor, Petan, Armia is a pretty inexperienced line. Even Armia's defensive excellence would be hard pressed by strong opposition.

Maurice won't put Petan and Perreault on a line together. Too small and too similar in their play styles

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Maurice won't put Petan and Perreault on a line together. Too small and too similar in their play styles

Too small maybe (in the mind of PoMo anyway) but similar playing styles? Perrault is a total waterbug Petan plays more like a midget Joe Thornton.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

I have to disagree with you. I think MP would be a good line mate for Petan, MP is good on the forecheck. I like the idea of Petan playing with guys who can get on the puck and get the puck back, MP and Armia are both good at that. Pucks would be forced onto Petans stick if he can read the play right.

Would be an interesting mix. Given that, it's up to Petan to make those reads off their forecheck, hopefully he's better at that than he is a puck retrieval.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Interesting that almost no one has this line in their projections.

It's my 4th line. It fills the bill as a very good 4rth line, we know they work very well together, with some puck luck, the probably can provide some offensive production as well.

The key to us having a very good season is finding a 3rd line from a mix of solid players.

I would like to see Perrault/Copp/Petan get the first crack at it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If I had to do a bet money on it opening day roster over any personal preferences I'd go:

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
MP-Little-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Copp-Dano
Hendricks/Tanev

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Toby-Myers
Chiarot

Mason
Helly

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
It's my 4th line. It fills the bill as a very good 4rth line, we know they work very well together, with some puck luck, the probably can provide some offensive production as well.

The key to us having a very good season is finding a 3rd line from a mix of solid players.

I would like to see Perrault/Copp/Petan get the first crack at it.

Yes, there are a few more that had this line than I initially thought. I agree with your thoughts.
I would guess that Maurice will keep this line united, at least in the beginning. With the top six pretty much determined, it really only leaves the 3rd line to be figured out.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, there are a few more that had this line than I initially thought. I agree with your thoughts.
I would guess that Maurice will keep this line united, at least in the beginning. With the top six pretty much determined, it really only leaves the 3rd line to be figured out.

And if Connor does start on the 2nd unit, Perrault takes a spot on the third, that leaves two legitimate open spots for training camp.

And you are right, we are only predicting start of season lineups, middle and end may look very different.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's a thought. Is it any better with Petan and Connor? You could be right but I'd be interested in seeing if Petan and MP could compliment each other. Also how would Armia fit with them - or not.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
If Lowry is our third line centre, we miss the playoffs. Heck of a 4th line centre but best suited to exactly that.

alchemyindex

vereor nox
Jan 20, 2013
Winnipeg
If Lowry is our third line centre, we miss the playoffs. Heck of a 4th line centre but best suited to exactly that.

Agreed. I'm not sure if Petan is the answer, but as of right now he has so much more skill he deserves a chance there IMO.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

Man, it's kinda crazy that our 3rd pair going into the season could be Enstrom/Myers. That's a nice 6 D.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

Wtf? Lowry was our 3rd line center last year and we finished 7th in goals scored, why would him staying as the 3rd line center decrease the amount of goals we score by such a margin that we miss the playoffs?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice's opening day lineup...
Laine Scheif Wheeler
MP Little Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Matthias Copp Dano
(Tanev Hendricks)

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Enstrom Myers
(Chiarot)
Mason
Hellebuyck

What I would do if the seasonstarted tomorrow...
Laine Scheif Wheeler (unstoppable)
MP Little Armia (can play against any line in the league)
Connor Roslo Ehlers (speed kills)
Copp Lowry Dano (solid 4th line)
Matthias Tanev (Petan getting playing time on the Moose and Matthias subbing in when needed)

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Enstrom Myers
(Chiarot)

Mason
Hellebuyck

Last edited:

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Wtf? Lowry was our 3rd line center last year and we finished 7th in goals scored, why would him staying as the 3rd line center decrease the amount of goals we score by such a margin that we miss the playoffs?

Obviously goals scored does not equal playoffs, otherwise we'd have been in the playoffs last year, right? But if you want to talk scoring, lets start with how Lowry's even strength scoring rates are the same as Chris Thorburn's historical average.

The Leafs have Kadri as their 3C and we have Thorburn's younger overrated brother.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Obviously goals scored does not equal playoffs, otherwise we'd have been in the playoffs last year, right? But if you want to talk scoring, lets start with how Lowry's even strength scoring rates are the same as Chris Thorburn's historical average.

The Leafs have Kadri as their 3C and we have Thorburn's younger overrated brother.

Good thing the Jets have Bryan Little at 2C and the Leafs have Tyler Bozak ("fake Bryan Little").

I also think I like Ehlers over Hyman, Laine over Nylander, Wheeler over Marner, etc.

I think the Jets could do better than Lowry at 3C, but their top-6 is going to be scary.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Good thing the Jets have Bryan Little at 2C and the Leafs have Tyler Bozak ("fake Bryan Little").

I also think I like Ehlers over Hyman, Laine over Nylander, Wheeler over Marner, etc.

I think the Jets could do better than Lowry at 3C, but their top-6 is going to be scary.

That's sort of the point. Our top-6 was just as scary last year. Adam Lowry at 3C is a liability whereas he is an asset at 4C. It's entirely fixable, either by playing Petan or Perreault at 3C. But Maurice is already calling him a key driver on the team, so there is little chance of that happening.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad