Salary Cap: Roster going forward (Or: How the cap is coming to kill us)

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
lvdba.jpg

We're not moving Boyle, he's been one of the biggest diamond's in the rough we didn't know we had this year.

Erne I seriously doubt is going to make the first line.

If I had to guess, we're going to see Kucherov get traded (maybe?) and Johnson/Palat joining Stamkos.

I want to keep Kucherov, but I don't think he's as sold on us as Johnny/Pally and he's going to get PAID when the time comes. On top of that, I don't think we can afford all of TKO, Stamkos, Drouin, Bishop, Hedman, and 2-3 more D men.

Kucherov is BFFs with Nesterov and Vasi. I think he's perfectly happy in Tampa right now.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Get rid of Callahans sorry ***. Divide his 5.8 amongst Stamkos, Killorn and Kucherov for their raises after next year and have Erne play 3rd line RW. Get rid of Carle and Garrison, replace with Koekkoek and DeAngelo, use that 10mil to give raises to Hedman, Johnson and Palat when they're up.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think it's unfair to say that Callahan won't be on the roster in another 2-3 years. It's still to early to say but at the moment he looks replaceable. Maybe he's played injured in these playoffs but isn't that the knock on him? Great he plays heart out all season but we also need him in the playoffs too. At least if your making more than 5 mil we need you. So I don't think there is a good debate about him at the moment. I think he will be around for at least a couple more seasons but he will probably be a cap casualty in some shape or form.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Callahan is not going anywhere anytme soon, so get over it, Hosey.

Because unlike some bitter fans, the organization wants this guy around.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
he got a 4 year no movement clause so he stays here at least 3 more years

He'll be here for his entire contract. Might get moved his last year, but doubt it. two playoff series of sub par play most likely due to his appendix being removed is not going to make Yzerman worry about even thinking about moving him. Rangers wanted him to stay because of what he brings, Yzerman signed him for the long term for a reason, even if he has struggled in the playoffs.

For the record will not change teams when he leaves. I'm here to stay, but want to enjoy my favorite player while still in his prime contribute to this team and I don't want to be talking about moving him after his first year, which is utter BS.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
He'll be here for his entire contract. Might get moved his last year, but doubt it. two playoff series of sub par play most likely due to his appendix being removed is not going to make Yzerman worry about even thinking about moving him. Rangers wanted him to stay because of what he brings, Yzerman signed him for the long term for a reason, even if he has struggled in the playoffs.

For the record will not change teams when he leaves. I'm here to stay, but want to enjoy my favorite player while still in his prime contribute to this team and I don't want to be talking about moving him after his first year, which is utter BS.

I think yzerman plans to move him or buy him out after his 4 year no movement clause is over. Just to many good players to pay by then. Adam erne should take over the callahan role by then. I could see him being traded back to new york and tampa retaining some type of salary or a buffalo! who should be good in 4 years from now. yzerman has a long term plan to keep us being a good hockey team.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
something is going to move carle first i think! we have to pretty much double stamkos and hedman's contracts when they are done. I think palat and johnson take 5 or 6 per year to stay.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
As long as we are winning I'm going to give Callahan the benefit of the doubt. We all know he really is a grinder with top 6 Skills, he's never going to be the Stamkos or the Johnson's of our team. It's not in him. Eventually things will click.

Everyone was throwing Kucherov under the bus when in reality he was still getting used to playing in the playoffs. Once he got used to it he went right back to the klutch that we all love. Patience guys.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Callahan is not going anywhere anytme soon, so get over it, Hosey.

Because unlike some bitter fans, the organization wants this guy around.

The organization wanted Lecavalier around too but they needed the cap space. Callahan is a nobody in this organization and town compared to Lecavalier so it will be easy to get rid of him. His NTC will only help him so long, if he can only muster 3 points in 21 playoff games for us and soon to be passed by better players then he needs to go.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
As long as we are winning I'm going to give Callahan the benefit of the doubt. We all know he really is a grinder with top 6 Skills, he's never going to be the Stamkos or the Johnson's of our team. It's not in him. Eventually things will click.

Everyone was throwing Kucherov under the bus when in reality he was still getting used to playing in the playoffs. Once he got used to it he went right back to the klutch that we all love. Patience guys.

What? That's a completely different scenerio comparing a 20 year old rookie to 29 year old vet who's had 63 playoff games including a trip to the ECF before this year.

In 21 playoff games with the Lightning Callahan has 0 goals and 3 assists, all 3 assists have come in 1 series.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I don't want to make excuses for the guy, but he just had surgery that normally takes the average joe out for 6 weeks.

Stahp people... You're looking for someone to be upset at and we have no reason to be upset.

P.S. Hose if you REALLY want to call out Cally, where's the pitchfork for Sustr? He's SUCKED... HORRIBLY Sucked... Almost every damn game the last two rounds.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I don't want to make excuses for the guy, but he just had surgery that normally takes the average joe out for 6 weeks.

Stahp people... You're looking for someone to be upset at and we have no reason to be upset.

P.S. Hose if you REALLY want to call out Cally, where's the pitchfork for Sustr? He's SUCKED... HORRIBLY Sucked... Almost every damn game the last two rounds.

Sustr has had some bad games lately but as a whole he's had more good games then bad. He's also a bottom pair defender making less then 1mil, the expectations for him are not very high. I believe he's playing at or above the level you should expect.

JT Brown is making 5 times less then Callahan but playing about 5 times better and I'm not a Brown fan. Callahan needs to start playing close to his salary.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Sustr has had some bad games lately but as a whole he's had more good games then bad. He's also a bottom pair defender making less then 1mil, the expectations for him are not very high. I believe he's playing at or above the level you should expect.

JT Brown is making 5 times less then Callahan but playing about 5 times better and I'm not a Brown fan. Callahan needs to start playing close to his salary.

brown better then callahan no way sustr is what i expect from a 6th defenseman.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
brown better then callahan no way sustr is what i expect from a 6th defenseman.

Are you saying Callahan is outplaying Brown these playoffs? Callahan is the superior player but not in these playoffs, Brown has been much better.

Erne is not a 4th liner like Brown, I don't see Erne playing on the 4th line, he'll be in the top 9 when he comes up. Brown is cheap and plays a fast game which Cooper likes. Unless Marchessault beats him out next year or Richard has a monster season in the A and gets a call up where he impresses, Brown will be resigned cheap even if he's just a 13/14.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Are you saying Callahan is outplaying Brown these playoffs? Callahan is the superior player but not in these playoffs, Brown has been much better.

Erne is not a 4th liner like Brown, I don't see Erne playing on the 4th line, he'll be in the top 9 when he comes up. Brown is cheap and plays a fast game which Cooper likes. Unless Marchessault beats him out next year or Richard has a monster season in the A and gets a call up where he impresses, Brown will be resigned cheap even if he's just a 13/14.

I said brown will be here next year then the year after we have guys that are going to push him out. I like callahan better in these playoffs then brown. callahan still throwing hits more then brown. Brown has not done really anything to amaze me he is a ok 4th line player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I said brown will be here next year then the year after we have guys that are going to push him out. I like callahan better in these playoffs then brown. callahan still throwing hits more then brown. Brown has not done really anything to amaze me he is a ok 4th line player.

All Callahan can do is hit, he brings nothing else right now. Brown hits and creates chances, granted he can't finish, he's at least providing a threat.

Who's pushing Brown out? Namestnikov, Drouin and Erne need to be in the top 9 to be effective. Broll, Smith or Paradis provide heaviness but we don't play a heavy game, we play speed which Brown has, none of them are even close to being ready either. Ikonen needs a few years if he ever makes it, Peca should promise for the Crunch but it was a small sample size, he wont be ready after next season. Marchessault and Richard are the closest to pushing Brown out but neither are that much better so it would be a lateral move. Brown will be here for 2-3 more years, hopefully he works on his shooting and dekes.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
All Callahan can do is hit, he brings nothing else right now. Brown hits and creates chances, granted he can't finish, he's at least providing a threat.

Who's pushing Brown out? Namestnikov, Drouin and Erne need to be in the top 9 to be effective. Broll, Smith or Paradis provide heaviness but we don't play a heavy game, we play speed which Brown has, none of them are even close to being ready either. Ikonen needs a few years if he ever makes it, Peca should promise for the Crunch but it was a small sample size, he wont be ready after next season. Marchessault and Richard are the closest to pushing Brown out but neither are that much better so it would be a lateral move. Brown will be here for 2-3 more years, hopefully he works on his shooting and dekes.

I would say tanner richard and adam erne! yes erne needs to be top nine! all I know is jt brown will have his last season in tampa next year. Vladdy has to be on the nhl roster next year we won't put him on waivers. I'd expect drouin and erne to start in the ahl next year. But come december I really think those two make there way to tampa's roster. I'd like yzerman to sign glencross next year and dump morrow.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Cap won't be an issue until the Summer of 2017. In a worst case scenario, Garrison and Filppula could be dealt and Coburn could be allowed to walk. Hopefully a Carle deal nips that in the bud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad