Line Combos: Roster Discussions

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Scheifele is back in form, Wheeler getting a ton of shots in the last couple of games.

That's how you use your best shooter, get him the most shots.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Not sure what you mean?

Regarding the PoMo discussion, he does seem to favour north-south hockey, and I do think he has his blind spots concerning players, but all coaches seem to. If you're off his list, I guess you can try to play your way back onto it or request a trade. Speaking of which, Pecan might be an option for MTL:

Montreal Canadiens trade target: Nic Petan could be a valuable asset in a retooling
Ah I spelled such wrong, and I was mentioning Laine , Ehlers and Petan. I like Petan and I am cheering for him. But he is not like the other 2. I should have just edited by initial post instead of posting below it. :)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
That's what he is, Lowry is hurt, did you not hear? He's been playing wing on the 3rd line all year, where have you been?

I've also said in the best Jets lineup he's the 4C. Takes nothing away from how he's played tonight, which is what this thread is about btw.
But even while Lowry is injured I think Copp should still not have any reason to play as the third line center. It would be exactly a great situation to start gradually make Roslovic play as the third line center. Having Copp there is really a waste. I wouldn’t mind at all in Laine playing in the third line, if he could have Roslo as the center. Ehlers I wouldn’t really want there though, as I don’t still see it that Laine and him should play together. Although I have to admit that Laine and Ehlers have had at least some a bit promising moments now together. But still, they are just absolutely unefficient together and neither of them play each others at all to great scoring chances. And also their weaknesses are too similar in their own end. They just are not a good fit together on the ice.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I like the new lines...

until they stop winning hockey games... :D

These lines are an improvement. But from team success and productivity point of view, you have to have your best setup man with your overwhelmingly best shooter.

They were going nuts about how many shots Wheeler has had in last couple of games because Chef is back. Imagine if those shots were converted to goals at 2-3 times the rate Wheeler can do. Because there is one very obvious solution.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
But even while Lowry is injured I think Copp should still not have any reason to play as the third line center. It would be exactly a great situation to start gradually make Roslovic play as the third line center. Having Copp there is really a waste. I wouldn’t mind at all in Laine playing in the third line, if he could have Roslo as the center. Ehlers I wouldn’t really want there though, as I don’t still see it that Laine and him should play together. Although I have to admit that Laine and Ehlers have had at least some a bit promising moments now together. But still, they are just absolutely unefficient together and neither of them play each others at all to great scoring chances. And also their weaknesses are too similar in their own end. They just are not a good fit together on the ice.
I think long term Rosie will be the 3rd line C for the team, but not having played it at the NHL level and with Copp having experience there, Maurice is doing what he thinks is best for the team. I don't disagree that Roslovic should ultimately be in that position, but I would hardly call Copp a waste. He's a placeholder until Lowry returns, I think it's clear his long term future with the team is as a bottom 6 winger.

The line was effective tonight, I think for a variety of reasons. Hard to argue with the results. We'll see where it goes from here.

Reactions: Jets 31

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
These lines are an improvement. But from team success and productivity point of view, you have to have your best setup man with your overwhelmingly best shooter.

That goal was someway otherworldly even by Patrik's standards. (watched it dozen times in repeat, like I do with every Pate's goal) One of the longest shots this season, but also one of most accurate, and hardest. Line of sight was clear like flowery meadow plains for a giraffe.

Still, goalie had no change what so ever.

What ever Laine fanpool's internal infights may ever concern, I think our perception in this matter doesn't cause any disagreements. Like ever.

That shot. It's so beautiful, it's mezmerizing.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

They were going nuts about how many shots Wheeler has had in last couple of games because Chef is back. Imagine if those shots were converted to goals at 2-3 times the rate Wheeler can do. Because there is one very obvious solution.
Team success? They won 6-1. This team keeps on winning, until that becomes a problem I wouldn't expect it to change. Their top shooter is on PP1, where he does the most damage. Apart from that I think it works just fine to get him favourable matchups and spread things around. Connor seemed just fine with Chef tonight, the lineup was very balanced.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I might have to steal this, it's fantastic :thumbu:

Go ahead. :)

Jets must have one of most feared PPs in the league currently, and Patrik is natural force if fed with pucks accordingly. Buffy's perfect pass made the day this time. Just before Patty's release it looks and feels almost like watching Matrix's bullet time scene. Like Patrik would use extra 0.3 secs delay for uploading some extra driver program for his oncoming shot...

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
After this game it should be pretty obvious for Maurice how bad Laine & Little duo is. Laine was doing way better with Copp. He was able to play his own game in 5 on 5. That won't never happen with Little.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As i expected, i liked the lines last night. They created match up issues and capitalized on it. Give Copp a few more games to get comfortable and his scoring will increase. He looked good last night

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I really liked all four lines yesterday. ECL seemed to lose focus late in the third with a couple neutral zone turnovers one that led directly to a goal against, but it was positive overall

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Perreault's attitude has been awesome, one of the top five on the entire team. I think he deserves to wear an A on the Jets, the guy wants to be on Jets and in Winnipeg. I believe he's been a huge part of our success here in Winnipeg, plus on the ice he's just so effective.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Go ahead. :)

Jets must have one of most feared PPs in the league currently, and Patrik is natural force if fed with pucks accordingly. Buffy's perfect pass made the day this time. Just before Patty's release it looks and feels almost like watching Matrix's bullet time scene. Like Patrik would use extra 0.3 secs delay for uploading some extra driver program for his oncoming shot...
I fully expect one of his one timers is going to go right through the net , unbelievable shot . :thumbu:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I hope that Little assist won't confuse Maurice once again. Copp & Laine has been way better than Laine & Little. Copp has 10x better chemistry with Pate.

Laine & Little is clearly worst duo i've ever seen on this level. They are able to make each others look like AHL level at offense.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I hope that Little assist won't confuse Maurice once again. Copp & Laine has been way better than Laine & Little. Copp has 10x better chemistry with Pate.

Laine & Little is clearly worst duo i've ever seen on this level. They are able to make each others look like AHL level at offense.
Sorry to say, but offensively they aren’t really any better than ELL. And I honestly don’t think after all that the key is really either Little or Copp here. The problem is what some people still refuse to see, that Laine and Ehlers are absolute Kryptonite to each others. They can’t create almost any dangerous chances to each others. At least last season when they played in the same line Laine gave some delishious breakaway passes to Ehlers, but he just unfortunately was able to score from them. This season even those have been nonexistant, and otherwise they just don’t click and find each others offensively.

Last night LCE scored their only goal on even strength with a flukey me, myself and I goal by Ehlers. There was otherwise no real scoring chances for them but the one excellent pass from Copp to Laine that Laine unfortunately completely whiffed on. But absolutely no chemistry or real chances created between Laine and Ehlers.

I will still repeat that Laine and Ehlers need to both play with a playmaker and a puck retriever. That’s why Laine is great with Scheifele and Perreault, and Ehlers is great with Scheifele and Wheeler and pretty good with Little and Perreault (not great with them, but quite good in my opinion).

My point here is still about Laine as a player, so I would be grateful if this post is not deleted or moved to the roster thread, although it has some points thst have to do with lines too. The main point has still to do with Pate as a player.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Sorry to say, but offensively they aren’t really any better than ELL. And I honestly don’t think after all that the key is really either Little or Copp here. The problem is what some people still refuse to see, that Laine and Ehlers are absolute Kryptonite to each others. They can’t create almost any dangerous chances to each others. At least last season when they played in the same line Laine gave some delicious breakaway passes to Ehlers, but he just unfortunately was able to score from them. This season even those have been nonexistant, and otherwise they just don’t click and find each others offensively.

Last night LCE scored their only goal on even strength with a flukey me, myself and I goal by Ehlers. There was otherwise no real scoring chances for them but the one excellent pass from Copp to Laine that Laine unfortunately completely whiffed on. But absolutely no chemistry or real chances created between Laine and Ehlers.

I will still repeat that Laine and Ehlers need to both play with a playmaker and a puck retriever. That’s why Laine is great with Scheifele and Perreault, and Ehlers is great with Scheifele and Wheeler and pretty good with Little and Perreault (not great with them, but quite good in my opinion).

[mod]

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If that well oiled machinery called Winnipeg Jets requires that one part, the axel-of-unsynchrony to work as a whole like it does currently, I won't complain about it.

Situation is similar then it was with that one part in T-Model Ford (or what was the car model?), that was too high quality for the whole. It didn't broke as often as other parts. Solution was to lower that part's quality and endurance, not forcibly increase the quality of all other parts, and possibly broke good achieved balance.

Playoffs! Here we come! GJG! Eagerly waiting to see Patrik in real games. Three scoring lines will be a nightmare to match against.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Sorry to say, but offensively they aren’t really any better than ELL. And I honestly don’t think after all that the key is really either Little or Copp here. The problem is what some people still refuse to see, that Laine and Ehlers are absolute Kryptonite to each others. They can’t create almost any dangerous chances to each others. At least last season when they played in the same line Laine gave some delishious breakaway passes to Ehlers, but he just unfortunately was able to score from them. This season even those have been nonexistant, and otherwise they just don’t click and find each others offensively.

My point here is still about Laine as a player, so I would be grateful if this post is not deleted or moved to the roster thread, although it has some points thst have to do with lines too. The main point has still to do with Pate as a player.

They are way better than ELL especially at offense. Laine & Little wasn't able to complete even easiest passes. There has been excellent pass from Copp to Laine at each games.

Ehlers & Laine doesn't have that much chemistry but it isn't comparable to lack of chemistry between Laine & Little at all.

Reactions: grieves

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
They are way better than ELL especially at offense. Laine & Little wasn't able to complete even easiest passes. There has been excellent pass from Copp to Laine at each games.

Ehlers & Laine doesn't have that much chemistry but it isn't comparable to lack of chemistry between Laine & Little at all.
This. Copp has found Laine and set him up with good scoring chances in both games. Last game Laine got a perfect drop pass that he whiffed on with his slapper. 9/10 times he hits that puck and it's in the net. We wouldn't even be having this discussion then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad