Line Combos: Roster Discussions

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I’m fine with it with they’re recent lacklustre performances, though I’d prefer Roslovic or Petan to be they’re Center, I do not mind a guy like Copp down there for now either as he is really quick and is very good at forechecking, the only thing I’m afraid of is his lack of playmaking ability.... I also wouldn’t mind to see Lowry Center them either, when he gets back... Personally I’m glad Ehlers and Laine where moved away from Little, it’s not that Little is bad but his style of game doesn’t match dynamically with that duo and does really hurt all 3 of them stat wise. None the less this lineup has so much potential I’d really like to see what would happen if we added another good piece to it...

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Please figure out how to utilize ehlers speed plus laines shot and thaf is a viable offensive line

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Did PoMo really break Laine - Little this fast :eek: Well done, if it's true!!

Laine will play way better with Copp, mark my words.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Wanted to see Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers. I personally think that line could do some serious damage.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Armia
Lowry-Copp-Tanev

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Would rather Maurice gave Petan a shot with these two but that might happen at some point anyway . If i was Copp i would just hang back all the time and let Laine and Ehlers play in the offensive zone , that way he could always be ready for their giveaways . :laugh:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Best third line in the league. :)

25% of goals of one of the best offensive team in the league is on the 3rd line.
Team is power house.

1st seed!

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Yeah someone is telling him, but I'm going to bark at him until he points the finger to Chevy. Maurice is responsible unless he states otherwise. Chain of command.

He said in an interview that Laine is a lot better player now than last year. So he knows that fact.

Not putting him in with Chef after acknowledging that, is a crime against humanity. We already saw what they did when Laine was worse and they were the hottest duo in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVPGoon and hudster

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I hear that.

I've moved on from disappointed to just laughing at the situation. It takes a special kind of skill to make a team worse once the #1 Center is back.

But let's see what we get. We already have a good benchmark from when Chef went down and we turned into a powerhouse. It's that or bust.

And what kind of coach tries a line for two periods and determines it's not a good fit (and removes the best player out from it)? Be it any line in any case. If that doesn't sound any alarm bells then I don't know what will.

Last edited:
Reactions: hudster

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
As long as Laine sticks on the first PP unit, these are the best lines right now.

Matty P-Little-Roslo was an amazing line last game. No way you can break them up.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
If the line doesn't click early I want to see Petan between these two playing the role of set up center... Playing vs the other teams 3rd line the lack of stellar defense these 3 would bring to the table would be a non issue....

As long as Laine is on the 1st PP I don't care if they play him on defense 5v5 :D

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Connor and Roslovic (most recently) have added a huge element of depth and scoring punch to this roster that we didn't have to start the season, and one that I didn't expect this year. I didn't expect Connor to score 25 goals (give or take) this year for the Jets as a rookie and he's on his way to doing it. I figured Roslo was going to be in the AHL for the year and not in our top 6.

The emergence of these two young players has allowed us to really see some great depth from this teams forward group, as witnessed with Laine and Ehlers on the third line right now. The great thing about this depth is next week Laine and Ehlers could be in the top 6 while Connor and Roslo shuffle down to the bottom 6. So many options to utilize which is key as the team and individual players ride out the ups and downs of a grinding season.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Nothing surprises me anymore. All reason has been lost, it's just reactionary feelings based garbage now behind the bench. How can you **** up a powerhouse by adding your best center back? Just ask Paul. He knows.

I'm so disappointed in the lack of rationality that is allowed, even praised and defended with ridiculous mental gymnastics to justify it when the team is clearly worse for it.

After Maurice ****s this season up, his next extension might not be obvious. So maybe in a few years we will see a jets team that is properly utilized and maximized. Now it's just a Maurice-Wheeler show that has no regard for team success.
Ha! Right, a team fighting for first in the West all season long despite being without some of their best players in key roles for most of the season won't be extended.

You can disagree with Maurice's choices but I'll look at results, the players opinion of him as a coach, and the fact that he knows a LOT more about the inner workings of the team than we do (player health, dynamics, politics and strategic reasoning).

This board is about discussion and opinion, but sometimes, it gets a wee bit ridiculous.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Nothing surprises me anymore. All reason has been lost, it's just reactionary feelings based garbage now behind the bench. How can you **** up a powerhouse by adding your best center back? Just ask Paul. He knows.

After Maurice ****s this season up, his next extension might not be obvious. So maybe in a few years we will see a jets team that is properly utilized and maximized. Now it's just a Maurice-Wheeler show that has no regard for team success.

Lets be honest though here. If these lineups don't work then things will change once again.

Maurice has put the Jets in a spot of achieving the playoffs so far. Wheeler is sitting in the top 20 for points in the league and is having a great season.

In a few years we will see a Patrik Laine which will be much improved and on the first line. Heck we will probably even see that in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
As long as Laine sticks on the first PP unit, these are the best lines right now.

Matty P-Little-Roslo was an amazing line last game. No way you can break them up.

They don't need to be broken up.

LSW and PLE or PLR. Both of those options work good.

I would go PSL- ELW for the first two lines. Best line as 1st and reunites Little-Wheeler. But that's just me, and I tend to think about pros and cons where as Maurice just tosses poo at the wall and calls it art.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
All the more reason to go grab a play-making center to play with these two... or pick up a top 6 wing and slide Wheeler back in the middle.

Wheeler- Scheif- Connor
Perreault-Little- Roslo
Laine- XXX- Ehlers
Copp- Lowry- Armia/Tanev

or

Laine-Scheifele- Ehlers
Perreault- Little- Rolso*
Connor- Wheeler- XXX*(these two lines can be swapped around pending on matchups...more like 2A and 2B)
Copp- Lowry- Armia/Tanev

Depth, baby.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Ha! Right, a team fighting for first in the West all season long despite being without some of their best players in key roles for most of the season won't be extended.

You can disagree with Maurice's choices but I'll look at results, the players opinion of him as a coach, and the fact that he knows a LOT more about the inner workings of the team than we do (player health, dynamics, politics and strategic reasoning).

This board is about discussion and opinion, but sometimes, it gets a wee bit ridiculous.

You are entitled to stare at results and be overjoyed that they are vastly improved since last season. It is a valid point but it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with this debate. I'm talking about maximization of utility, you're talking about being higher in standings. Different arguments and should not be mixed.

You are happy with the results so you're not going to question how it can be improved. But that's the way to stagnation and failure. You always need to try to improve, always forward. Just because it has been better doesn't mean it's anywhere near optimal.

The fact that the team is now playing much worse since Chef is back should wake everyone up. PLE was playing well, Laine and Wheeler were doing good and team was the best it has been all season.

Now we have regressed and the top 2 goal scorers sit in 3rd line with a hard working zero offense player. Now mind you, that can possibly work because it removes the confusion that Littles style brought into it. But I'm not expecting Copp to fit much better with those two...he has less imagination than Little and is worse in almost everything.

There is already enough data with this team that even the most foolish should see what works and what doesn't. Unfortunately Maurice can't derive anything out of the very clear data.

Reactions: Board Bard

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If the Jets were losing games i could see the hate for Maurice but we are top 5 in the league so i don't really understand the hate for him . The guy is very smart , he obviously wants Laine and Ehlers to succeed why wouldn't he ? I wouldn't want to lose my multi million job , i don't think he would either .

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Also, what is up with trying a line for only two periods? What was that whole thing even about?

Moving Perreault there was clearly not to get Scheif and Wheeler going (which many, including me theorized) because Laine would have been returned to that line afterwards, just to even test it out for a few games. Instead Laine is in the third line even though he was the strongest link in that line for the short duration.

What kind of a coach makes decisions based on two periods? Be it any line, in any situation?

Smells pretty funky to me.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
When Matty P came back, and was placed on the fourth line, I was really mad, but decided to give the lineup a shot.

They not only kept winning, their overall level of play skyrocketed. That was Maurice's move, and sure it was flukey, but it worked, and he deserves some credit for that.

I think Maurice has a good feel for where this team is at, and gained a lot of respect from me for that move. I give him a lot of leeway when it comes to lineup decisions. (As long as Laine plays PP1)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->