New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If Lou had acquired another C at the deadline, a legit NHLer, what would Trotz have done? Sit Filpulla? Sit the new guy? Neither would go over well.
You sit the new guy!
And rotate him in - rest the bottom 6 guys - injuries and illness happen - it's a long season.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Fritz may be able to provide a jolt at 3C. He skates well and keeps his feet moving. Filppula’s legs were there for about 50 games, but they have since tapered off.
Fritz plays with a lot of energy and effort he had down year offensively thus far but he plays good defense and is a pretty good penalty killer. I’ve always thought in right spot he could be nhler. He skates and thinks game well enough to be in nhl.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
With the lack of scoring on this team it is time to forget about whatever issues you've got with JHS and call him up for top six minutes. Bench Komarov or that stiff Ladd.

Free Ho-Sang, because this team won't win much more without a boost in the offensive side of the game.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Maybe they get him back for the first round massacre.

Lou has got to be successful this summer in upgrading the talent and depth on this roster, such that an injury to a UFA outcast (Filp) won’t mean so much. Filp was a good signing, we needed more in July.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Maybe they get him back for the first round massacre.

Lou has got to be successful this summer in upgrading the talent and depth on this roster, such that an injury to a UFA outcast (Filp) won’t mean so much. Filp was a good signing, we needed more in July.

The problem is virtually everyone thought Filp was a bad signing at the time. And personally I dont think our regression has much to do with Filpulla but moreso to do with the entrance of Ladd and Hickey and the loss of Boychuk to this team. Combine that with teams locking up Barzal in a LockBox and our PP being voraciously bad and here we are. I'd say Filp missing is just a small part of the equation.

Nevertheless, we desperately need 2 Top 6 goal scorers on this team or we're never going to progress...Panarin is almost a must at this point...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So Boychuk and Filppula are out, Zeek is just back from injury, Martin and Clutterbuck have both missed games recently, and Komarov has been moved from the wing, to center either of the bottom lines.

This is a team that relies heavily on defensive play, especially from the bottom six. That kind of play comes mainly from structure - knowing your job, and knowing where your linemates are or will be, and knowing what they will do. Even with Flip and Leo having a revolving door on left (and sometimes right) wing, those two lines have been pretty stable, and therefore good. Lately, because of injuries, those lines have been put in a blender, and structure is suffering.

And to all that, add that Cizikas and Filppula are 3rd and 6th in goals (6th and 7th in points).

To me, the surprising thing is how many people are surprised.

I'm not making excuses. The top two lines have been mediocre all season, and have been giving up the puck at an alarming rate recently, mainly by trying to do too much solo. I also noticed, particularly in the last two games, an awful lot of passes and shots hitting opposing ankles and sticks. Whether that is to the credit of the other team or our trying to be too fine, I can't say.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Been quiet lately, team really hit it's peak and has not been the same since the 2 Calgary games, the offense is limited and we miss Boychuk as he is the defensive anchor, and Filppula because he is the defensive center... these big losses to Montreal and Boston would be much closer games with those guys out there.

But the issue of goal scoring.... it isn't going to come at this point, it hasn't been there for months and we could not make a trade at the deadline that would have any impact. Right now Ladd, Bailey, and Beau have been big problems, they get the puck, they lose the puck. They really should be a line that you roll out as a 4th line regards to minutes and use Cizikas line as the 3rd line, which leaves no one to play on the top 6 besides Barzal, Eberle, Lee and Nelson, sounds like we would do better with MDC and JHS in there instead of Leo and Fritz.... but no matter how much origami is done with the lines, there is just a shortage of offense.

We are going to end up an 8 seed and play Tampa at this rate

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Roster Shakeup that I would consider would be to promote Steve Bernier and Otto Koivula at this point based on looking at the stats of players at Bridgeport.... Bellows' numbers are beyond bad

Bernier is a wildcard, high energy player and I would play him with Barzal at this point, since we haven't scored a 5 on 5 goal in a week or so, can't hurt

Lee/Barzal/Bernier
Koivula/Nelson/Eberle
Bailey/Komarov/Beau
4th line

Ladd locked up in a room at the Borgata 30 miles from Philly

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
perhaps they will call up JHS just to pack him in a 3rd line with Fritz and Kuhnhackl or Beauviller and of course this will not be a productive line, but then they'll say look there JHS don't do anything good, it's right to bury him at Bridgeport *facepalm

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Roster Shakeup that I would consider would be to promote Steve Bernier and Otto Koivula at this point based on looking at the stats of players at Bridgeport.... Bellows' numbers are beyond bad

Bernier is a wildcard, high energy player and I would play him with Barzal at this point, since we haven't scored a 5 on 5 goal in a week or so, can't hurt

Lee/Barzal/Bernier
Koivula/Nelson/Eberle
Bailey/Komarov/Beau
4th line

Ladd locked up in a room at the Borgata 30 miles from Philly

I would go. The Bruins do not hesitate using their AHL players, many are young when their are injuries, got to trust the AHL coaches are teaching the same system Trotz is. Plug and play.

Bailey/Barzal/MDC
Lee/Nelson/Eberle
Komarov/Koivula/Beau
Martin/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

Boychuck/Leddy
Pulock/Pelech
Mayfield/Toews

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I would go. The Bruins do not hesitate using their AHL players, many are young when their are injuries, got to trust the AHL coaches are teaching the same system Trotz is. Plug and play.

Bailey/Barzal/MDC
Lee/Nelson/Eberle
Komarov/Koivula/Beau
Martin/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

Boychuck/Leddy
Pulock/Pelech
Mayfield/Toews

I think we would get more results with Bernier at this point, MDC is a slow developer, we need goals, and Bernier could probably do well with Barzal temporarily to the offseason

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He guys, this is killing me. I keep hearing Isles only have one recall leftbut to my understanding Gibson and Ho-Sang were emergency recalls. So shouldn't it just be Dal Colle and Fritz?

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Ross Johnson anyone? Like Billy Martin once picking a lineup out of a hat to spark his team and Ed Brinkman ended up hitting cleanup. I'm with most any suggestion that's been mentioned here: MDC, Bernier, Kouvola, even swallow the pride and bring up JHS.

Ross has been serviceable, skates better than Ladd and provides an element that we sure could use against the Flyers. Can be damn sure he wouldn't have been looking for change on the ice after the Mayfield hit.

Would be great if Johnny B could play Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad