New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Someone is going to have to fill in the void of Filppula. Cizikas is the logical choice to take more mins. Which means someone will have to fill in on the Martin and Clutterbuck line. Koivula promotion too early?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Someone is going to have to fill in the void of Filppula. Cizikas is the logical choice to take more mins. Which means someone will have to fill in on the Martin and Clutterbuck line. Koivula promotion too early?
Cizikas and Filppula play the same minutes - when Filppula has played PP2 that gives him a slight edge

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Just a quick look, of the guys I guess they could call up over the last 10 at the Bridge:
Bellows 0G 1A (over last 27 2G 1A ouch)
Kouvila 1G 1A
Fritz 1G 6A
Ho-Sang 5G 6A
Bernier 5G 4A

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Just as I suspected. I don't think Lou and Co. think Koivula is ready for the NHL which is why they opted for Fritz. Not the best time to throw Koivula into the fire when the team is trying to make the playoffs.

Fritz at least has some experience and a lower ceiling. You know exactly what you're gonna get out of him.

Reactions: Seph

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Fritz is a hustler on the quicker/faster end of the spectrum (for our team anyway). He might help with the forecheck.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just see a guy who isn’t talented enough to be in the NHL.

I'm just thinking a little speed might help force the play to where the Islanders want it to be when forechecking. That's the only hope I have, because I expect zero points from him. I want him to just play even hockey.

Reactions: ndgolden

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Staple's Q&A about our roster:

Q:
What can be done now, before the offseason, to improve the team so that they never repeat a game like last night?
A:
More work. The team is built on work ethic and good goaltending. There really isn't another way with what they've got.

Pretty much what we've all known about our roster. Not enough talent.

Reactions: CBG

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Lee Barzal Eberle
Beauvillier Nelson Bailey
Kuhnhackl Fritz Ladd
Martin Cizikas Komarov

I'd limit the third line's ice time to next to nothing. If Eberle is out, Ho-Sang has to come up. Put Ho-Sang with Bailey and Nelson, move Beauvillier back up with Barzal. Maybe Dal Colle for Kuhnhackl? But Kuhnhackl can play the PK for a team that just lost one, maybe two PK guys. Tough spot.

That line 3 may be the worst in NHL history.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Just as I suspected. I don't think Lou and Co. think Koivula is ready for the NHL which is why they opted for Fritz. Not the best time to throw Koivula into the fire when the team is trying to make the playoffs.

Fritz at least has some experience and a lower ceiling. You know exactly what you're gonna get out of him.

I'm not inspired. Puts even more pressure on Barzal, Nelson, and Cizikas.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

Going to guess Koivula's defensive game at center isn't as reliable as Fritz', which makes sense given the difference in their relative experience levels. We are replacing a bottom 6 defensive center, and that's typically the primary focus when doing so.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I'm a little surprised at how well this place is taking our team falling apart.

At the worst possible time.

Nice job boys -- I see the meds are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad