New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
What difference does it make whether or not you know anything other that he's injured and the time table for his return?
I personally don't care all that much but it does give the fan more insight if you know the details of the injury. For example, if this is the 3rd dislocated shoulder the player has suffered or his 3rd concussion, it obviously affects his contract and trade value. So potentially valuable info is intentionally withheld. Of course that's precisely why the league handles it this way...

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
My belief is the next commissioner will force injury disclosures. Bettman is old school and that’s just one of a few things he polices differently than Goodell, Manfred, or Silver does. The one exception will be postseason. I do not think they’ll require any disclosures outside the regular season

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I mean they could make a trade for someone to fill the gap to at least get them through the next 9 games.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Beyond insane if Ho-Sang is not going to get a call up and a look considering how dead the offense is and he is the only one outside of Barzal who is able to generate anything

Reactions: IslandersGER

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I need an education... if we don’t bring up josh now, when are we ever going to do it? this is finally the chance. At least bring them up as an extra for the press box . No?
Cuz he is either being blackballed for a reason or he did something unforgivable in his last call up

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Cuz he is either being blackballed for a reason or he did something unforgivable in his last call up

Again I'm a JHS fan but playing devil's advocate;
What exactly has he done recently in Bridgeport?
With that being said, I agree with bringing him up.
Desperate move to be honest.

tenor.gif

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Again I'm a JHS fan but playing devil's advocate;
What exactly has he done recently in Bridgeport?
With that being said, I agree with bringing him up.
Desperate move to be honest.

View attachment 202341
He has actually put up some good numbers in the last month or so, I do not think he did anything this weekend but I know he had some big games in previous weeks, regardless when he was here he generated offense and made his linemates better, this team is pretty much starved for offense and let's get real is probably not going to do a lot in the playoffs, why not stick him on the roster and see what he can do

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Re: injury non-disclosures, remember DP's "general body soreness"?

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He has actually put up some good numbers in the last month or so, I do not think he did anything this weekend but I know he had some big games in previous weeks, regardless when he was here he generated offense and made his linemates better, this team is pretty much starved for offense and let's get real is probably not going to do a lot in the playoffs, why not stick him on the roster and see what he can do

I'm basically in agreement with you but for the record;
JHS has dressed for 8 games in the AHL over the last month with 1 G and 4 A.

We've about exhausted this topic.
I hope they bring him up and play him this time.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I personally don't care all that much but it does give the fan more insight if you know the details of the injury. For example, if this is the 3rd dislocated shoulder the player has suffered or his 3rd concussion, it obviously affects his contract and trade value.

It seems usually that injuries of a serious nature make their way to the surface eventually, in the off season or whatever. I mean, I understand that people just have a burning need to know these things, but it seems irrational. I don't see at all how it's insulting.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
I just find it insulting as a fan.

The more transparent they are, the more I'm engaged with the team and the league.

This seems to work in the NBA, NFL and MLB.

The idea is to protect the player as much as possible, so that players are not targeting those injured areas upon returning to action. Personally I really don't need to know if it is separated shoulder, broken bone, or torn tendon. Generally, people can have an idea what the two or three most likely things are going on.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
That lineup in practice today is an abomination. That is borderline number one overall draft pick level bad. At least thought we were in 7th or better for sure at this point. But if we ice that lineup without boychuk , Eberle and fillpula for the next two weeks. We could definitely still miss the playoffs. Lou sleeping at the deadline is without question coming back to bite us and clearly shows which group of us fans was right about that. So upsetting to think about where this team was after 50 games and how different it could've been with an upgrade or two

Thank you for the rain forecast, I will grab my umbrella on my way out......

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
It seems usually that injuries of a serious nature make their way to the surface eventually, in the off season or whatever. I mean, I understand that people just have a burning need to know these things, but it seems irrational. I don't see at all how it's insulting.

I get it.
No one gives a flying f@#k if I'm insulted. I'm not really insulted honestly. Only annoyed.

I just like transparency.

The NFL has long been known to target players' reported injuries.
Seems like that league is doing just fine.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I get it.
No one gives a flying f@#k if I'm insulted. I'm not really insulted honestly. Only annoyed.

I just like transparency.

The NFL has long been known to target players' reported injuries.
Seems like that league is doing just fine.
The NHLPA is much stronger than the NFLPA.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

That's for sure.

The NFLPA is a distant fourth of the major sports in their effectiveness in protecting the interests of the players.

Their players are well paid but they put their bodies on the line even more than NHLers and their nonguaranteed contracts are unfair, all things considered.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
That's for sure.

The NFLPA is a distant fourth of the major sports in their effectiveness in protecting the interests of the players.

Their players are well paid but they put their bodies on the line even more than NHLers and their nonguaranteed contracts are unfair, all things considered.
Those nonguaranteed contracts go a long way in explaining why the NFL is so successful. Guaranteed contracts are a huge drag on the NHL and it's franchises.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I wouldn’t say much. Marginally is probably the right word to use. To take Billy Beane’s quote from Moneyball and use it here to compare unions...”there’s the MLBPA...then there’s 50 feet of crap then there’s the NBAPA and NHLPA

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
That lineup in practice today is an abomination. That is borderline number one overall draft pick level bad. At least thought we were in 7th or better for sure at this point. But if we ice that lineup without boychuk , Eberle and fillpula for the next two weeks. We could definitely still miss the playoffs. Lou sleeping at the deadline is without question coming back to bite us and clearly shows which group of us fans was right about that. So upsetting to think about where this team was after 50 games and how different it could've been with an upgrade or two

Even without injuries some of these guys were playing way to much hockey. Fil is 35 and I do t think he missed a game yet. Did we expect him to play 82 games and then crank it up for playoffs? You are definately right saying Lou was sleeping at the deadline. Off chasing unicorns and forgot to buy insurance....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad