New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Fritz is a definite improvement over MDC. At least Fritz brings league average skating and hustle. From his brief stint in the NHL I didn't see anything that would convince me MDC will ever amount to anything in the NHL.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal

These PP units doesn't make much sense : 1 Right-Handed and 4 Left-Handed on PP1, and the contrary on PP2 (4 RH and 1 LH)!

What I would like to see is this :

PP1

---------NET----------
---------Lee-----------
Barzal--------Nelson
---Pulock---Bailey---

PP2

--------NET-----------
------Komarov-------
Eberle------Beauvillier
---Leddy---Filppula---

Or maybe Beauvillier in front of the net and Boychuk playing on left D.

Reactions: IslandersGER

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

These PP units doesn't make much sense : 1 Right-Handed and 4 Left-Handed on PP1, and the contrary on PP2 (4 RH and 1 LH)!

PP1

---------NET----------
---------Lee-----------
Barzal--------Nelson
---Pulock---Bailey---

PP2

--------NET-----------
------Komarov-------
Eberle------Beauvillier
---Leddy---Filppula---

Pulock couldn't shoot it on passes from Barzal with that set up.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Pulock couldn't shoot it on passes from Barzal with that set up.
My set-up is not that important (I put the two right-handed on the left so they can use the one-timer if needed). What I wanted to highlight was the choice of players for each PP units. And in any case, it often happens that the players must switch position according to the course of action.

Reactions: PK Cronin

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

PP1

---------NET----------
---------Lee-----------
Barzal--------Nelson
---Pulock---Bailey---

PP2

--------NET-----------
------Komarov-------
Eberle------Beauvillier
---Leddy---Filppula---

Why is Clutterbuck on the PP? guy has scored one goal in like 60 games. Leddy has 1 goal this yr but never misses a minute on that top unit. Leddy is also way to slow with the puck at the top of the umbrella and then compounds that because he won’t shoot/doesn’t have a great shot.

Gomez is the last holdover from the Snow/Weight era that has to go. Nothing he does makes sense. He way over thinks things.

You can’t have a PP where all your primary shooting spots are played by passers.

Reactions: bigtim1988

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
He could. One timers would be difficult though. Many other ways to work the puck to Pulock as well.
Or this could be a better set-up :

---------NET----------
-----Lee----Nelson---
Barzal----------Bailey
--------Pulock--------

For the one-timer pass to Pulock, probably the pass would come more often from Bailey than Barzal.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

---------NET----------
-----Lee----Nelson---
Barzal----------Bailey
--------Pulock--------

For the one-timer pass to Pulock, probably the pass would come more often from Bailey than Barzal.
I think you switch Pulock and Barzal there. That way you have two options for the one-timer - Bailey or Pulock and Barzal has room to create. Both Nelson and Lee can rotate between the high/low slot (similar to where Wilson scored against us).

Since the switch up on the PP, it seems like all they do is work to get Pulock a shot at the expense of any other puck movement. Pulock has a great shot and it should be taken advantage of, but they should feed him when he is organically open.

Reactions: xIsle

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

---------NET----------
-----Lee----Nelson---
Barzal----------Bailey
--------Pulock--------

Pulock cannot shoot a one timer from that spot if the pass is coming from Barzal. Shooting a one timer when the puck is coming from the wrong side is incredibly difficult and nearly impossible.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think you switch Pulock and Barzal there. That way you have two options for the one-timer - Bailey or Pulock and Barzal has room to create. Both Nelson and Lee can rotate between the high/low slot (similar to where Wilson scored against us).

Since the switch up on the PP, it seems like all they do is work to get Pulock a shot at the expense of any other puck movement. Pulock has a great shot and it should be taken advantage of, but they should feed him when he is organically open.

I don't think the PKers will respect Barzal up there as a shooter and they'll just shade towards Pulock and Bailey. They aren't afraid of Barzal as a shooter when he's at the hash marks, so why would they be if he was further out? It's a similar problem we have now with Leddy and Barzal being non-threats to shoot. The PP needs a left handed defensemen who is willing, and good, at shooting the puck in order to have the most success.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Pulock cannot shoot a one timer from that spot if the pass is coming from Barzal. Shooting a one timer when the puck is coming from the wrong side is incredibly difficult and nearly impossible.
Yeah I know! That's why I said the one-time pass would come more often from Bailey! The only way to Barzal to make the one-timer to Pulock is if he switch position with someone during the course of action. But he can always feed Nelson or Bailey. And Bailey is also a good passer and he can feed Pulock as well.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I don't think the PKers will respect Barzal up there as a shooter and they'll just shade towards Pulock and Bailey. They aren't afraid of Barzal as a shooter when he's at the hash marks, so why would they be if he was further out? It's a similar problem we have now with Leddy and Barzal being non-threats to shoot. The PP needs a left handed defensemen who is willing, and good, at shooting the puck in order to have the most success.
Barzal needs to shoot more it’s always said but I feel like on PP it’s way more of issue he always seems to get puck and turn away from net to pass just take shot sometimes.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I know! That's why I said the one-time pass would come more often from Bailey! The only way to Barzal to make the one-timer to Pulock is if he switch position with someone during the course of action. But he can always feed Nelson or Bailey. And Bailey is also a good passer and he can feed Pulock as well.

My mistake, I didn't realize you meant that Barzal would be roaming to a different spot. Bailey is a good passer, but if the defense sags lower to clog that cross ice pass, since Barzal isn't a threat to shoot from there, it makes it a lot more difficult.

Reactions: xIsle

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I am starting to feel the Isles team is a bit old and it may sound drastic to bring up JHS, Toews and MDC to play but if you look at them playing over Kuhnackl, Eberle (traded) and Hickey respectively I don't think we would lose too much of a beat, Sbisa and Johnston can be sent down to the farm and Hickey and Kuhn would be the extras

Ideally this team would be more interesting configured as

Lee/Barzal/Bailey
Beau/Nelson/JHS
MDC/Filp,/Leo
Martin or Kuhnackl/Cizikas/Clutter

Leddy/Boychuk
Toews/Pulock
Pelech/Mayfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events