New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
please dont link to sites behind paywall - that doesn't make sense unless you know your readers have unlimited access to linked site (I have not and never will)

Providing a link to quotes is a good practice, behind paywalls or not, because it allows others to access or see where the information came from. It's up to you if you want to pay or not.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The biggest benefit for Beau skating with Flip and Leo might be that he won’t be facing the oppositions best defenders and get more room to skate.
That would be good for improving his stats, but not for improving his game. I think a bigger benefit would be that he is playing against better offensive opposition, as has to learn to work hard to get chances.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That would be good for improving his stats, but not for improving his game. I think a bigger benefit would be that he is playing against better offensive opposition, as has to learn to work hard to get chances.
To paraphrase Barry Trotz, this is not an instruction league, it’s a results league. Beau was dropped off the 1st line because he wasn’t producing.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Ladd shouldn't play the rest of the year, every year he has been here her gets hurt. When he returns, he is never the same player. Might as well give that spot to a kid like MDC or JHS who are doing well for once.

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
with fil and leo , they play a simple smart game , sometimes simplifying your game is improving your game though ..., and seeing him in front of the net and not falling by the boards is an improvement... imo ....tbh , there is nothing simple about barzys game ... lol

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Had a dream the Islanders traded Toews, 2019 1st, and two bad prospects for a signed Duchene. So now when it happens you can all tell me I'm a psychic.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Playing with someone like Barzal can be extremely frustrating certainly he drives possession but it takes a special type of player that can not only read off his constant change of pace and direction but also relinquish his desire to have a larger role on the line. A player who wouldn't be intimidated by Barzal's ability.
Barzal isn't a goal scorer at least not now, he is a play maker. I see a player like Whalstrom as being the perfect fit as Hughes has a similar skill set and they worked well together. Also Whalstrom has that ability to materialize in the right spot at the right time . Don't take the following the wrong way Bossy had an innate ability to arrive in the right spot at the perfect time. Trottier and Bossy (HOF) yes I know those two played off each other like PB&J, Gilles also (HOF) not to be left out. But I see those two developing a similar type of chemistry down the road. I know AB had a great second half with Barzal last year but the coach seems to have other plans who knows just throwing my two cents in and looking forward to a Barzal/Whalstrom combo.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I would pay a pretty penny for him in the offseason. That would fill our biggest hole going forward. One that would otherwise be very difficult to fill. With the cap space we have for the foreseeable future, we need to make a move like that anyway. I have no idea if he'd consider coming to LI, but if its a possibility, I would overpay for him.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I would pay a pretty penny for him in the offseason. That would fill our biggest hole going forward. One that would otherwise be very difficult to fill. With the cap space we have for the foreseeable future, we need to make a move like that anyway. I have no idea if he'd consider coming to LI, but if its a possibility, I would overpay for him.
I wouldn’t go anywhere near Duchene to be honest. I have no idea fully but seeing what happened to avs after he left and then the whole cab video I just don’t think he is a guy I would be 6-7 million plus a year. I don’t see him as a Trotz player our interest if any maybe smoke and mirrors. Nelson and Filppula may not be the answers as the 2 and 3 centers but I’d still look elsewhere for centers just IMO.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn’t go anywhere near Duchene to be honest. I have no idea fully but seeing what happened to avs after he left and then the whole cab video I just don’t think he is a guy I would be 6-7 million plus a year. I don’t see him as a Trotz player our interest if any maybe smoke and mirrors. Nelson and Filppula may not be the answers as the 2 and 3 centers but I’d still look elsewhere for centers just IMO.

Col has exploded since he left. He made a big scene there before he was traded. Great player. I don’t have much interest though.

Reactions: periferal

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
For a 10M+ contract I want the complete franchise player - Can score, play D, relentless work ethic, be a leader both on and off the ice, etc. Is Panarin all those things?

I would say Panarin is a franchise player.

The problem is, he likely wants to live in a city and wants everything that goes with that.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Ottawa is offering him 8 years, 8-9 million, they can keep him. VERY risky contract.

I think its pretty clear that the guy will get $8m+. Top Centers don't come on the market very often. Pajama boy took a discount to go to Toronto. I'm sure teams like Dallas and San Jose would have paid him $12m or more if that's what it took.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The problem is, he likely wants to live in a city and wants everything that goes with that.

I think he has a model girlfriend who probably prefers the big city life as well.

I hate to say it, but he's going to the Rangers and will be their face of the franchise. Big city, bright lights, and big money.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

Regardless, I'd go hard at Panarin. He's worth the price and worth the push. His model girlfriend can still pursue her career living on Long Island. He can even live in Queens if he wanted. Close to the Island, close to the City.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think its pretty clear that the guy will get $8m+. Top Centers don't come on the market very often. Pajama boy took a discount to go to Toronto. I'm sure teams like Dallas and San Jose would have paid him $12m or more if that's what it took.

He’s probably a player though who’s more likely to stay effective longer. Panarin mostly relies on speed and a good shot. I don’t see him being as effective as long. The last 4-5 years of that contract will be brutal. He’s already 28 next October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad