Salary Cap: Roster changes till the season starts

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
It is semantics.

Bank it to me means you can use it again which you can't.

If the max cap hit per day is $1 and the max cap for the year was $100

On day 1 the Hawks daily cap hit 0.99, so they were .01 under the daily cap

The next day they spent .01 on another player so their daily hit is now the max $1

They can't recover the $.01 from day 1. (this is what I think you are calling bank)

and they end the year at 99.99. 1 cent under the yearly cap.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
It is semantics.

The next day they spent .01 on another player so their daily hit is now the max $1

They can't recover the $.01 from day 1. (this is what I think you are calling bank)

Teams can and do use cap space that wasn't used earlier in the season.

The max daily cap hit for each team changes each day based on what cap was "spent" up to that day. It's how teams can go the entire year with less than 1 mil in cap space, but then at the deadline acquire a player with higher than a 1 mil cap without making any other changes to the roster.

Capgeek estimates this "banked" space referring to it as "deadline space".

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Teams can and do use cap space that wasn't used earlier in the season.

The max daily cap hit for each team changes each day based on what cap was "spent" up to that day. It's how teams can go the entire year with less than 1 mil in cap space, but then at the deadline acquire a player with higher than a 1 mil cap without making any other changes to the roster.

Capgeek estimates this "banked" space referring to it as "deadline space".

Exactly.

It is semantics.

And (using your example) on the final day of the season that team could add a player for 1 cent and still be cap compliant, because their final total for the season, which is what matters, is still only $100.

Teams don't lose cap space they don't use. The daily cap is just a measure of how much cap space a team has left divided by the number of days left in the season. The only day of the season when all teams have the same maximum daily rate (excluding of course teams that have players on LTIR) is the first day of the season. After that every team will have a different maximum daily value based on what they spent that first day.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Exactly.

And (using your example) on the final day of the season that team could add a player for 1 cent and still be cap compliant, because their final total for the season, which is what matters, is still only $100.

Teams don't lose cap space they don't use. The daily cap is just a measure of how much cap space a team has left divided by the number of days left in the season. The only day of the season when all teams have the same maximum daily rate (excluding of course teams that have players on LTIR) is the first day of the season. After that every team will have a different maximum daily value based on what they spent that first day.

Yes they do and I just gave you the example why.

They all have the same daily cap hit $353,846. No team can go over that. So if you spend 353,845 on the first day does not mean you can spend 353,847 on the next.

Last edited:

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
So if you spend 353,845 on the first day does not mean you can spend 353,847 on the next.

Your right you can't spend them on the next, because that amount spend every day going forward would put you over the cap for the year and thus over the cap for the day. But you could spend 353,847 on the last day of the season, or 353,846.50 on the second to last day of the season, or 353,846.25 with 4 days left in the year, etc.

Last edited:

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Yes they do and I just gave you the example why.

They all have the same daily cap hit $353,846. No team can go over that. So if you spend 353,845 on the first day does not mean you can spend 353,847 on the next.

Yes teams can go over the daily cap as long as they were under the daily cap in previous days.

Here is an excerpt from the CBA on page 275 of the pdf (taken from the NHLPA website: http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf ).

Illustration #1: If, on the first day of the NHL Regular Season, the
Upper Limit for a League Year is $70 million, and a Club has an
Averaged Club Salary of $67 million, the Club shall, at that time,
be permitted to sign a Restricted Free Agent to whom the Club has
rights to a one-year SPC for up to $3 million for the remainder of
that League Year (i.e., the Club has $3 million of Payroll Room).

Illustration #2: If the Upper Limit for a League Year is $70
million, and a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $67 million at
the halfway point of the NHL Regular Season, then the Club shall
be permitted to sign a Restricted Free Agent to whom the Club has
rights to a new one-year SPC that commits the Club to pay up to
$3 million for the remainder of the League Year, but the face value
of the SPC may be up to $6 million.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Your right you can't spend them on the next, because that amount spend every day going forward would put you over the cap for the year and thus over the cap for the day. But you could spend 353,847 on the last day of the season, or 353,846.50 on the second to last day of the season, or 353,846.25 with 4 days left in the year, etc.

You can't spend over $353,846 per day.

If it worked your way, all the teams would start with the minimum amount of salary at the start of the year then use all that banked space to make a huge acquisition at the trade deadline.

Or vice versa load up at the beginning and as soon as you get in the playoffs, start sending players down to the minors.

Also, if it worked your way, there would be no need for a daily calculation. The would just have to be at at or below the cap at the season.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
You can't spend over $353,846 per day.

If it worked your way, all the teams would start with the minimum amount of salary at the start of the year then use all that banked space to make a huge acquisition at the trade deadline.

There are teams that have done that. Go back and look at some some of the trades that have gone down at the deadline the last couple of years. Heck look at the Kings last year. They picked up a Gaborik during the season who had a $7 mil dollar a year contract. How exactly did you think they were able to fit him in?

And the reason teams don't start the season and send players down is because the daily cap rate maximum assumes NO roster changes for the year. So even if you planned to send players down it wouldn't matter because the daily cap is calculated going forward with the existing roster in place for the entire year. They would no be cap compliant.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Can't believe a guy named Hawkscap could be this wrong about the Hawks cap.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
It works like this, the salary cap is 69 million for the season and teams cannot exceed a projected 69 million on any single day. The projection is based on the current roster for that day.

The NHL calculates what a teams spends each day for the 186 days (I think this is the correct number). Then the projection is based on how many days are left within the season.

So if a team starts with a 66 million projected payroll and goes exactly half the season (93 days) it will have spent a total of 33 million. Because the team is 36 million below the 69 million cap, the team can spend a projected 36 million for the remaining 93 days.

In essence, the team spent at a 66 million cap for half the season, then at a 72 million cap for the rest, but ended up at the limit of 69 million.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It works like this, the salary cap is 69 million for the season and teams cannot exceed a projected 69 million on any single day. The projection is based on the current roster for that day.

The NHL calculates what a teams spends each day for the 186 days (I think this is the correct number). Then the projection is based on how many days are left within the season.

So if a team starts with a 66 million projected payroll and goes exactly half the season (93 days) it will have spent a total of 33 million. Because the team is 36 million below the 69 million cap, the team can spend a projected 36 million for the remaining 93 days.

In essence, the team spent at a 66 million cap for half the season, then at a 72 million cap for the rest, but ended up at the limit of 69 million.

Hence the increase in "deadline cap space" compared to regular cap space on CapGeek.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
So if I am understanding this correctly, you are saying teams can do whatever they want as long as they are under the cap at year end?

Last edited:

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
So if I am understanding this correctly, you are saying teams can do whatever they want as long as they are under the cap at year end?

No. I'm saying teams can spend cap however they chose as long as their projected cap each day doesn't exceed the limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad