Salary Cap: Roster changes till the season starts

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009
According to Capgeek, the Hawks are approx. 50k over the cap for 23 men roster (incl. TVR), I see 3 possible solutions:
1) Send TVR to Rockford - I don't believe it will happen before Thursday, as the Hawks seem to give TVR shot in NHL
2) Put Rozy on LTIR - it would give them a possibility to evaluate TVR experiment and also see how the rest of defensive prospects will start the season
3) Trade (or waive) Rozy - they can also combine options 2 and 3

I don't think Rozy is untradeable - he is RhD, big playoff experience, reasonable salary 1,75 mil., UFA after the season.

If FLA would acquire him for 4th - 5th round draft pick, they would get the experienced RhD they need and they could end up with even better draft selection if they would trade him later at the deadline to the contender, as an insurance guy.
Panthers projected D-corps:
Soupy - Gudbranson
Mitchell - Ekblad
Kulikov - Rozy
Olsen

Hawks can rotate prospects till the trade deadline to test them under the pressure in the NHL and keep them motivated to step up to the higher level - all of Clendening, Dahlbeck, Johns, Pokka, TVR and Brennan (if not picked on waivers) are ready and eager for test in NHL.
Hawks will have enough cap space to acquire experienced rental Dman close to the trade deadline and at this time they should also know if it makes sense to keep Rundblad or not...
I see Cumiskey as solid option for 7th Dman with low cap hit, better than to keep any prospect in this position with little playing time.

Hawks Dmen:
Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - TVR (Clendening / Dahlbeck / Johns / Pokka / Brennan)
Oduya - Runblad / Cumiskey

Icehogs Dmen:
Clendenning - Dahlbeck
Brennan - Pokka
Fournier - Johns
Svedberg

Personally, Pokka is my favourite to crack top 4 latest at the beginning of next season, as he has the highest upside IMO. I see Clendening, Dahlbeck, TVR and Johns to fight for 5th and 6th Dman slot. Hawks defensive prospects pool is extreme strong, so I would not rule out they could make Seabrook expendable in couple of years...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I bet Rozy goes on LTIR. They wouldn't be talking about breaking up Hjalmarsson and Oduya if that wasn't the case.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Q said he's going with 8 dmen, which is impossible if Carcillo and Morin are staying. So Roszival to LTIR is the only other option in that case. Otherwise, not sure how they plan on playing above the cap.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

chico_hawk

Jun 23, 2007
twitter.com
They obviously aren't sending TVR down and he is the only waiver exempt guy left of the 24 guys still on the active roster (& sending him down would make them cap compliant).

Cumiskey is also staying per Q (and sending him down wouldn't be enough by itself to get them cap compliant). Mashinter is hurt so not sure they can send him down even if they wanted, but even putting him on LTIR isn't enough in terms of cap $. They could also try to send Rundblad down (which would be enough $), but that would expose him to waivers & losing him - don't think they would do that.

That means the only other option is Rozi on LTIR - if they couldn't trade him when healthy, doubt anyone would take him when hurt, so LTIR it is

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009
I bet Rozy will go to LTIR too, as it makes the most sense - Hawks will buy some time for prospect evaluation before they will need to decide on trading Rozy.
Also besides TVR and Pokka, all the other defensive prospects fit in under the cup even with Rozy on the roster, after he would come back from LTIR, if there would be a call up necessary in case of injury (same for Regin, if there would an injury to forward occur).

Q said that Rozy should start to skate in about a week, but since he suffered the upper body injury, it can easily take a couple of weeks from starting to skate to be able to enter the lineup (has to be cleared for contact first).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No Cumiskey, Mashinter, Carcillo, Rundblad, or Morin on waivers.

Somethings up..

Looks like Brennen may have cleared waivers..good for Rockford.

TVR to AHL or Rozy to LTIR are the only options left.

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Somethings up..

As someone else alluded to earlier...wouldn't surprise me if we saw something like Morin & Rozy for a 2nd (or 3rd). They need to lose Rozy, and Morin might be the enticer to get someone to take Rozy. Also Morin for whatever reason never seemed to be a favorite of Q's.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
As someone else alluded to earlier...wouldn't surprise me if we saw something like Morin & Rozy for a 2nd (or 3rd). They need to lose Rozy, and Morin might be the enticer to get someone to take Rozy. Also Morin for whatever reason never seemed to be a favorite of Q's.

I hate having to package Morin to trade Rozy. That 2nd year, ugh. Stan blew it there (for the record, I'm a Stan fan. But this was a big mistake.)

Morin, Kruger and Smith can do some damage.

If we waive Rozy, how much ($) do we have to eat?

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009

It would be a big mistake to lose Morin - he is cheap option at LW at least for next 2 seasons and Hawks will need him to maintain the depth on forwards.
I've got a feeling from Q's latest statements that he thinks Morin have earned the roster spot.

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009
I hate having to package Morin to trade Rozy. That 2nd year, ugh. Stan blew it there (for the record, I'm a Stan fan. But this was a big mistake.)

Morin, Kruger and Smith can do some damage.

If we waive Rozy, how much ($) do we have to eat?

He would still count 1,3 mil. to the cap, I believe...

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009

Somethings up..

TVR to AHL or Rozy to LTIR are the only options left.

Brennan cleared, can replace Cumiskey as 7th Dman during the season, as he is on 1-way contract...

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009
Maybe Versteeg impressed a team in the preseason and are now willing to give value for him in a trade?

Again, it would hurt Hawks forward depth a lot, it would be a mistake as they want a Cup this year before will need to trade Sharp etc. after the season...
Also, his value will be higher if he will have good season and just 1 season remaining on contract (he can't have much worse season than the last one).

Moonshiner

Oct 19, 2009
so what is the plan for Teravainen? is he down until more cap space is traded away or is he down there for a bit?

Log heavy minutes in Rockford with possible call up in case of injury in the first half of the season. I would expect him to be called up for a few games in the 2nd half of the season for sure...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But having the cap space to have kept him this season wouldn't have precluded us from trading him next summer.

If they wanted to roll 8 D and 13F, we wouldn't be able to with Leddy on the team anyway.
And if he had another terrible playoffs, his value hits an all time low. = No Pokka or any other great prospect.

Would also open up cap space to trade for a defender at the TD. Someone who is better defensively than Leddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad