Salary Cap: Roster changes till the season starts

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
CapGeek‏@capgeek·3m3 minutes ago
Explanation of #Blackhawks mysterious cap space: #Coyotes retained 27 percent of David Rundblad's contract at last year's trade deadline.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
CAP OVERAGE EXPLAINED!

Coyotes retained 27% of Rundblads salary in that trade.

Edit: dammit illinihockey, can't beat you

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
So the cap specifics of that deal have been a secret for how many months now?

It's absurd just how well the front office can keep contract/cap specifics secret.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
That salary retention is the most impressive thing I've ever seen. Basically, it means Stan:
1) had the cap predicted to the gnats ass @the TDL last year
2) knew who he was trading, before the last playoffs

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That salary retention is the most impressive thing I've ever seen. Basically, it means Stan:

He traded a 2nd rounder pick for a complete bust

Lets not pretend there was a positive in the Rundblad move

Yotes retain cap simply to sucker him into giving them a 2nd instead of a 3rd/4th

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

I'm not sure that is what it means.

It just means he knew he was tight against the cap for next year and knew if he acquired Rundblad it needed to be below $575k.

But this does explain one moment during the summer that had me confused when right after they signed Regin they were just barely over the cap and it seemed dumb to not have signed him for just a little less to be under if that was the goal.

eta: This also means the Hawks could have got under the cap all summer just trading Versteeg or Rozsival. Hmm.

Last edited:

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
He traded a 2nd rounder pick for a complete bust

Lets not pretend there was a positive in the Rundblad move

Yotes retain cap simply to sucker him into giving them a 2nd instead of a 3rd/4th

What do you mean there was no positive? It got rid of Leddy who you hated.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
There is no defending that trade

I like Bowman but he blew it on this one

How do you know? Have you seen not the future? Because Rundblad is scheduled to play a lot of games this year with Johnny Oduya and the Coyotes picked a 14 point scorer in the OHL from Palos Il with our pick.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
How do you know? Have you seen not the future? Because Rundblad is scheduled to play a lot of games this year with Johnny Oduya and the Coyotes picked a 14 point scorer in the OHL from Palos Il with our pick.

So your saying Q is breaking up the Hawks shutdown line to cover for this mistake? This player who has already been given up on by several organization and who looks absolutely terrible on ice as a Blackhawks thus far

A defender who a noted "D guru" Tippets buried in press box and didn't want on ice

How Yotes used pick they got from mean nothing

Really your rebuttal has just further proven my point

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
So your saying Q is breaking up the Hawks shutdown line to cover for this mistake? This player who has already been given up on by several organization and who looks absolutely terrible on ice as a Blackhawks thus far

A defender who a noted "D guru" Tippets buried in press box and didn't want on ice

How Yotes used pick they got from mean nothing

Really your rebuttal has just further proven my point

He was only "given up on" once. Being traded for Turris and Tarasenko is not being given up on.

I'll trust Stan and Q a lot more than I'll trust that clown shoes organization in the desert. Also Rundblad has looked fine in the preseason. Q is splitting Oduya and Hjalmarsson because they are both left handed,while Rundblad and TVR are both right handed.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Hate to be nitpicky but this is a bad example to use and is ignorant of fact. I'm going with the assumption that you're using this draft pick as a negative thing for the Coyotes' sake.

Christian Dvorak is the player you're speaking of and he only had 14 points because he missed over half the season (his rookie season) with a knee injury and was putting up a lot of those points in the games leading up to getting injured. He was a projected 2nd Round Pick pretty much everywhere, a top recruit for Wisconsin, and is an excellent prospect.

Not posting this to be a dick or anything of the sort, just merely pointing out you might want to use a better example and do a little homework before just going by a stat and where a guy is from (also not sure how that's a negative) before using it to make a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad