Salary Cap: Roster changes till the season starts

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I agree with Taze Em, Rundblad looked fine in the preseason and their was a reason Stan traded for him.

Why BWC thinks it's a forgone conclusion (just from the handful of games played last year) that Rundblad is a "bust" is beyond me.

He may very well be a bust, but at this point, who the hell knows?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I agree with Taze Em, Rundblad looked fine in the preseason and their was a reason Stan traded for him.

Why BWC thinks it's a forgone conclusion (just from the handful of games played last year) that Rundblad is a "bust" is beyond me.

He may very well be a bust, but at this point, who the hell knows?

Pretty much this.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I'm not sure that is what it means.

It just means he knew he was tight against the cap for next year and knew if he acquired Rundblad it needed to be below $575k.

But this does explain one moment during the summer that had me confused when right after they signed Regin they were just barely over the cap and it seemed dumb to not have signed him for just a little less to be under if that was the goal.

eta: This also means the Hawks could have got under the cap all summer just trading Versteeg or Rozsival. Hmm.
I think everyone knew trading Versteeg and Rosival would have gotten us under the cap. At this point I wonder if there were any takers on either, or if taking either off of our hands meant a more valuable piece than Leddy would have needed to be dealt.

Again, in all fairness Versteeg did look like he was playing with something to prove before he got stung with a Duncan Keith Shin-Seeking Pointshot™

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Cumiskey is currently 27. He's not getting better.
First off, a bunch of NHLers have gotten better after age 27.

Secondly, that wasn't my point.

He said:
Cumiskey being awesome made spray a little Diet Coke on the dashboard. The guy has missed significant time due to a groin, shoulder and concussion. Went from 19 minutes TOI to the SHL. Oh, and his one playoff series made Leddy look like Lidstrom.

Meaning that he thinks Cumiskey is the same player now that he was when he left the NHL (at age 24). But isn't it possible that he is a better player now, than he was back then? Nope, because Q likes him, obviously.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 2m2 minutes ago
Don't look for Kris Versteeg to make trip to Dallas for #Blackhawks' opener. His equipment was not being packed following practice.

Bring TT up now.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Versteeg possibly to LTIR? "Right now, I don’t think so," Quenneville said. "But we’ll see how what happens." #Blackhawks

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Here comes Rundblad at forward!

S7Pzw95.gif

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
If he is going to be out 3 weeks there is no reason for him not to go on it.

Yes there is actually. Regular cap space accumulates every day it isn't used, LTIR space doesn't. It doesn't mean much right now since the Hawks only have around 80k in space, but at the deadline it will be around 380k in cap room (assuming the roster stays they exact same). Once Mashinter comes off IR and the Hawks send someone down they will likely have around 160k in space immediately available and around 750k available at the deadline.

To put it in better perspective, by the end of November/early December the Hawks should have enough banked cap space to send someone like Cumiskey or Carcillo down and call TT up permanently if they want to and not have to worry about guys going onto or coming off LTIR.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Cap space does not bank.

Yes it does. There is a daily rate and a cap for the year when you talk about the salary cap. The daily rate is the current salary cap of a team applied over the entire season as if the roster doesn't change and cannot exceed the maximum rate for the year, but the maximum rate for the day can and does change as the season progresses because it is based on the year total cap left to be spent.

An example would be if the salary cap was $100 payed over a 100 day season and a team started the year with a cap payroll of $90 a year. The daily maximum on that first day would be $1 for the entire team.

At the midway point of the season the team would have payed $45 dollars out of a maximum of $50. Which means the maximum daily rate is no longer $1, because the daily rate is calculated based on how much is left to be spent for the entire year, but $1.10 a day for the entire team.

That is obviously a very rough breakdown and the real cap is far more complex, but from my understanding that is how the cap is calculated.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think he's just saying $100,000 now is still $100,000 at the deadline but you can acquire a guy owed $100,000 for the rest of the season. If he is owed more, then you have to move someone else out and can then add what he was to be owed to what you already have.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
I think he's just saying $100,000 now is still $100,000 at the deadline but you can acquire a guy owed $100,000 for the rest of the season. If he is owed more, then you have to move someone else out and can then add what he was to be owed to what you already have.

Which is exactly what I am saying just worded differently.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yes it does. There is a daily rate and a cap for the year when you talk about the salary cap. The daily rate is the current salary cap of a team applied over the entire season as if the roster doesn't change and cannot exceed the maximum rate for the year, but the maximum rate for the day can and does change as the season progresses because it is based on the year total cap left to be spent.

An example would be if the salary cap was $100 payed over a 100 day season and a team started the year with a cap payroll of $90 a year. The daily maximum on that first day would be $1 for the entire team.

At the midway point of the season the team would have payed $45 dollars out of a maximum of $50. Which means the maximum daily rate is no longer $1, because the daily rate is calculated based on how much is left to be spent for the entire year, but $1.10 a day for the entire team.

That is obviously a very rough breakdown and the real cap is far more complex, but from my understanding that is how the cap is calculated.

Wasn't this kind of thing why they shipped Skille back and forth on almost literally a daily basis that one season? I know that was for cap reasons, if I remember correctly.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Left as damaged goods after averaging 19 minutes a game. How is that comparable to Pirri, except that both were once 23 years old in their life.

Cumiskey was plagued by injuries while playing for Joe freaking Sacco at the time, while Pirri provided nothing while playing with Patrick Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad