Roster Building XVII: Some Of Us Like Some Parts Of Our Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Canes drafted something like 13 times back in 2021. Did most of them bust? Of course... but... they still got Morrow, Koivunen, and Blake as very interesting prospects and Heimosalmi + Nystrom as longer shots. Draft with enough frequency and you get enough potential darts to have a legitimate farm system even while drafting late.
So what you are saying, is with 13 picks in the NHL draft 4 years ago, the Canes still have zero NHLrs?

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
There are two more retention slots that we are allowed to use in trades. If the only reasonable trades available beyond Pettersson are for depth guys, I wonder if they plan to use them to get a couple more penny stocks in this upcoming draft. It may be deeply unsexy, but you just never know with the lower rounds. Usually you come up with nothing, but sometimes you get something very interesting.
I will never be against buying draft picks like this or we did to get Jarvis. Certainly not if the alternative is to sit on unused cap space

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Here are the current cap hits of players I have seen rumored the canes may be pursuing :

Henrique - $1,456,250
Vatrano - $912,500
Jenner - $937,500
Mittlestat - $625,000
Bushnevich - $1,450,000
Erikksson Ek - $1,312,500
Nelson - $1,500,000

So we have the cap space for the remainder of the season to bring in players. It’s working deals that keep us from being player broke for next season and beyond

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Waddell: "We have acquired a forward with term known for his offensive ability."
Rod: "Top 9 forward. I'm putting him on a line with Martinook and Staal."
A wait what? Done deal?

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Here are the current cap hits of players I have seen rumored the canes may be pursuing :

Henrique - $1,456,250
Vatrano - $912,500
Jenner - $937,500
Mittlestat - $625,000
Bushnevich - $1,450,000
Nelson - $1,500,000

So we have the cap space for the remainder of the season to bring in players. It’s working deals that keep us from being player broke for next season and beyond
our 5.8 million cap hit available is the equivalent of annual AAV. We have 1.285 million in actual space. maybe you know that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Henrique - $1,456,250
Vatrano - $912,500
Jenner - $937,500
Mittlestat - $625,000
Bushnevich - $1,450,000
Nelson - $1,500,000

Being player-broke isn't going to be an issue with this group. They're just very unfearful of UFA asking prices and are comfortable about letting someone else pay higher for guys who aren't really core pieces.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
our 5.8 million cap hit available is the equivalent of annual AAV. We have 1.285 million in actual space. maybe you know that.
Per cap friendly trade calculator, the current players cap hit is all the gaining team takes on, unless that team is LTIR then the team on LTIR takes on the full cap hit, but the team not on LTIR only takes on the players current cap hit.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Raanta has to get waived or dealt right? I think Martin has showed enough now that he’s the number 3. Plus you don’t want Raanta sitting around and not playing at his age. Philly could use a goalie for cheap maybe Raanta makes sense for them for a draft pick

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Per cap friendly trade calculator, the current players cap hit is all the gaining team takes on, unless that team is LTIR then the team on LTIR takes on the full cap hit, but the team not on LTIR only takes on the players current cap hit.
yes that is correct. So the detail missing is the cap is broken down into daily cap usage. Basically you take the unused cap and divide it by the remaining days available in the season to determine how much you have to use at the deadline. that is a very rough translation of how the cap works but it paints the picture.

So like we have 1.285 million and i believe there are 41 days left in the season after the deadline. Divide 1.285 million by 41 and you get slightly over 31k. that is your daily unused cap hit available to you. So now you multiply that number by the total number of days in the season (192 this year) and you get 6 million. Basically you have a 6 million dollar player AAV available to use for the deadline.

You cant go over that daily cap use available number. Like Buchnevich's daily cap hit number is 30,208. So we could add him an still be okay.
Raanta has to get waived or dealt right? I think Martin has showed enough now that he’s the number 3. Plus you don’t want Raanta sitting around and not playing at his age. Philly could use a goalie for cheap maybe Raanta makes sense for them for a draft pick
if he is still hurt and not cleared he cant be waived. he would have to be put on retroactive IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad