Roster Building XVII: Some Of Us Like Some Parts Of Our Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Lavalette mentioned both Rasmus Andersson and Ferraro as potential longer-term adds that the Canes could try to pull off at the deadline. I'm skeptical of Andersson in particular because the price is going to be steep as hell and he would only be dealt in a total teardown rebuild, but...maybe...

Other (IMO more likely) names that he mentioned were depth defensemen like Edmundson, Brendan Smith, and Colin Miller as #7D options. Also depth forwards like Duclair, Barabanov, and Blackwell as possible bench upgrades.

No mention of Kakko, Zub, or Brannstrom, but those are more like personal hunches, particularly the former two.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Lavalette mentioned both Rasmus Andersson and Ferraro as potential longer-term adds that the Canes could try to pull off at the deadline. I'm skeptical of Andersson in particular because the price is going to be steep as hell and he would only be dealt in a total teardown rebuild, but...maybe...

Other (IMO more likely) names that he mentioned were depth defensemen like Edmundson, Brendan Smith, and Colin Miller as #7D options. Also depth forwards like Duclair, Barabanov, and Blackwell as possible bench upgrades.

No mention of Kakko, Zub, or Brannstrom, but those are more like personal hunches, particularly the former two.

Can't say I'm too interested in any of those names. Maybe Duclair, but it'd have to be cheap.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Can't say I'm too interested in any of those names. Maybe Duclair, but it'd have to be cheap.
Duclair (and maybe one of the depth Gs) is the only one that interests me from the options. It's possible someone with term shakes free from a team that's rebuilding (Buchnevich or Backlund maybe?) but there's rarely been any smoke around those moves from our end. The Borg is pretty tight lipped, even when the trade is beyond obvious to the fans and basically already worked out between the two fanbases ahead of time (see the Vatanen for Kuokkanen+ trade a few years back).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Duclair (and maybe one of the depth Gs) is the only one that interests me from the options. It's possible someone with term shakes free from a team that's rebuilding (Buchnevich or Backlund maybe?) but there's rarely been any smoke around those moves from our end. The Borg is pretty tight lipped, even when the trade is beyond obvious to the fans and basically already worked out between the two fanbases ahead of time (see the Vatanen for Kuokkanen+ trade a few years back).

I’d inquire about Hertl from San Jose. We could take the full contract back at the deadline, maybe even send KK back as well.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’d inquire about Hertl from San Jose. We could take the full contract back at the deadline, maybe even send KK back as well.
hep, he's another one of those guys that could shake free as the Sharks continue to blow it up and could be a really good fit with Necas. KK would have to be going the other way to make it work long-term though.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
hep, he's another one of those guys that could shake free as the Sharks continue to blow it up and could be a really good fit with Necas. KK would have to be going the other way to make it work long-term though.

Hertl is a bad idea without salary retention, and San Jose cannot retain salary because they have Burns and EK's hits on the books. I'd call them after the Burns contract expires.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If they would retain 2m on Hertl, we send KK, it would only be a 1.7m ish change in our cap for the same time period of contracts.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If they would retain 2m on Hertl, we send KK, it would only be a 1.7m ish change in our cap for the same time period of contracts.
Part of their desire to move on from him is the cap space. Retaining makes the acquisition cost much higher as it would be their third and last retention, limiting their ability to facilitate other trades and get picks. And for a 1/2C hybrid guy like Hertl, his AAV is in line with positional averages going forward.

San Jose only has one remaining retention slot for this and next year due to the Burns and Karlsson trades. Any Hertl trade would have to be done without salary retention.
I know that, but that doesn’t answer my question of why is it bad for us to trade for him without retention. Just why it is bad for the Sharks.

Reactions: DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I know Caps were looking to get Ovechkin to the finish line but given his drop off.....I wonder if the Caps are going to look to a rebuild.

Anyone on their roster worth a look, ie T. Wilson?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I know Caps were looking to get Ovechkin to the finish line but given his drop off.....I wonder if the Caps are going to look to a rebuild.

Anyone on their roster worth a look, ie T. Wilson?

If Tom Wilson was a rental, I would LOVE to have him, but for some god-forsaken reason, the Caps extended him for 7 freaking years starting next season. So hell no hahaha, the Caps are stuck with him!

Personally, the guy that I might look at on the Caps is Dylan Strome. Locked up to some term, plays center, and is only 26.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I mean.....
One of these things is not like the other five...

Seven point seven million dollars.

We really need to get Chatfield done.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1706841887319.jpg
    FB_IMG_1706841887319.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad