Roster Building XVII: Some Of Us Like Some Parts Of Our Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
There are a plethora of guys who should be out to pasture that could be acquired. Okposo, TJ, Carter, etc. those guys aren’t adding anything to the roster though. They aren’t a depth addition, they would be emergency additions to the roster.

Since we look at down trodden assets the 6 teams that come to mind are Washington, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Montreal, and Ottawa.
Washington doesn’t have much worth adding
Pittsburgh just has Smith, everyone else is too much of a risk (Rakell, Karlsson, Graves) as Pittsburgh isn’t going to retain.
Buffalo has a ton of players who don’t play the right way coupled with too much term and money
Ottawa is looking for veterans to help turn their team around, which sounds like the guys that will help us aren’t available (except Chychrun). Chychrun isn’t going to be in the distressed asset price range though.
Calgary’s distressed assets are going to carry too much risk (Hub and kadri). We missed the distressed boat on Coleman and Markstrom last offseason. They don’t do rebuilding so a good asset like Andersson is off the table.
Montreal’s distressed have no potential to turn it around as they have been distressed for a while (Anderson, Armia, etc).

Now a slew of distressed assets could become available if the arena deal for the Yotes falls through, again. But I have a sneaky suspicion that the announcement is held off until the offseason to prevent all the negative vibes that will create.

Is it wrong to hope for Zona’s failure so we can profit? Other than that we are limited on adding to the roster.

Kakko is by far the best distressed asset out there that's even been remotely speculated as available. People on this board keep clowning me about it, yet I'm nearly 70% sure that our FO group has at least discussed about the possibility this year.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Kakko is by far the best distressed asset out there that's even been remotely speculated as available. People on this board keep clowning me about it, yet I'm nearly 70% sure that our FO group has at least discussed about the possibility this year.
Would they give up a multi-dimensional Drury (used PK, PP + good defense) for him? Fast, Martinook? That's the issue, our lineup is pretty set, no room at the inn for him.

Email today with 30% off for Tees with player names. KK is prominently displayed, I guess he is going to be traded :)

1706891864414.png

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Would they give up a multi-dimensional Drury (used PK, PP + good defense) for him? Fast, Martinook? That's the issue, our lineup is pretty set, no room at the inn for him.

A quarter-season as our 13th forward/injury substitute is a nice luxury, I think. We will have an opening next year when Turbo and likely Noesen get their UFA bag. Kakko's real use would be then.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
This is a hilariously specific figure to measure your complete speculation about a situation into which you have literally no visibility.

So, what, are you... sixty nine percent sure? Because that would be nice.

I should've gone for 69% for the laughs, but my point stands. Of course I'm being speculative, however, this is the same group that went for KK and Puljujarvi in separate seasons. Even with Puljujarvi's double-hip surgery, a part of me feels as if the Canes are still monitoring his potential comeback in the AHL in case he becomes a viable NHL player again. Yeah, I have a reason to speculate that they may also be monitoring the Kakko situation relatively closely.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I think a guy that @Boom Boom Apathy didn't evaluate that might be an available forward is Giroux. He'd have to wave to come here and he has one more year on his contract, but he would be a near perfect fit for a forward addition, especially if he was the pivot on the second line. He is getting up there in age, but he has been nearly a PPG player the last two years in Ottawa, so the drop off for one more year is likely not terrible if age starts to catch up. He also would be a RH draw which would be huge as well. Drury, our 1st and another asset would be well worth bringing him in for two playoff runs if he'd be up to it.
I don’t see Ottawa moving him. They are interested in Tanev sounds like they want more “pro hockey players” according to the GM so moving Giroux would go against what he said

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I didn’t think he’d be a good fit in Ottawa but he’s been great there. I’d be on board, and at his age/level of experience I think he and Rod would get on the same page pretty quick. I like that he’s got another year. I would think they’d want to keep him though. They have to feel they’re on the edge of competitiveness and Giroux is pretty clearly working well with the group.

That was the thought when they signed him, but it is not looking like they are taking any steps forward. And what does Giroux think? Does he see the opportunity he wants there? Finally, I know it is just one guys opinion, but Wheeler has in his latest prospect pool (under 23) rankings the Sens in 31st place....maybe the new management there sees a similar situation and wants to get some more picks and prospects.

All that to say, you are probably right, but I don't think it is a slam dunk that he is not available.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I like our group. But if the power play cools off come playoffs I think we're in trouble. Our 5on5 scoring is not good enough, and I think we need to address that to be serious contenders this year.
Healthy Svech is a big difference maker 5v5 and he's missed a huge chunk of this season. Also, we have some guys slumping who I am confident will get back to where they should be come end of season.

And anyways I just disagree with the premise that our 5v5 scoring isn't good enough. It's tied for 11th in the league with Winnipeg and Tampa and only 7 goals away from Boston in 5th place (and they've played 1 more game than us). Our team is built on overall team defense, that is the main strength so 5v5 scoring is less important when we allow less goals 5v5. If not for the poor goaltending (which hopefully can be solved with PK, Freddie back healthy but we'll see) our 5v5 goal scoring is plenty good enough to be a serious contender. We have a lot of depth and 5v5 play has really never been our issue and it still isn't.

The reality is the teams that go far in the playoffs have hot special teams and/or goaltending to various degrees. So sure if our PP cools off to the lousy 14% we've come to expect in the playoffs under Rod we may be in trouble. But reality is any team whose PP is that bad in the playoffs is going to have significant issues. Cooling off from the 28% we're at right now this regular season to like 20% won't be an issue. 20% PP and hot goaltending is enough combined with the rest of our team that we can be favorites to win it all. Obviously both those are concerns (PP due to history, goaltending for obvious reasons) but they can also be concerns for any team no matter their roster -- even the best PP/PKs can get cold and goalies are voodoo with very few exceptions (of course Vasi is one but good luck getting a Vasi). Another concern has been our PK drop off in the playoffs. 1st in the league since 2018 regular season at 84%, in the playoffs same timeframe it's 21st in the league at 76.4%. Yes we've run up against some extremely hot PPs, and many teams ahead of us have much smaller sample sizes but still.

Main point: our issue isn't 5v5 scoring or defense at all. It's special teams drop off from regular season to playoffs being way more than it should be (you'd expect some drop off going up against better teams, but our ranking relative to the league has dropped way too much). And it's goaltending.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Is Laine off the market while in the Program? I wouldn't be surprised if we went after Boone Jenner and added Laine in. I can see us shipping out KK but not necessarily in the same transaction.
Just an educated guess, but as the player continues to get paid, he presumably is paid by the insurance taken by his NHL Club (or technically his Club is reimbursed by the insurance), and I would guess there might be some issues in how the insurance companies (of the old team and the prospective new team) would go with it. That might prevent a trade while the player is in the program. Obviously both teams may have the same insurance company so then it shouldn't present a problem.

Deon Thompson

Feb 27, 2022
I might be in the minority here, but I would love a Bunting-or-Noesen plus pick for 50% retained Laine trade. PP sniper (fixes our second-biggest need) plus some fourth line offense with upside.

Reactions: baconandbread

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think a guy that @Boom Boom Apathy didn't evaluate that might be an available forward is Giroux. He'd have to wave to come here and he has one more year on his contract, but he would be a near perfect fit for a forward addition, especially if he was the pivot on the second line. He is getting up there in age, but he has been nearly a PPG player the last two years in Ottawa, so the drop off for one more year is likely not terrible if age starts to catch up. He also would be a RH draw which would be huge as well. Drury, our 1st and another asset would be well worth bringing him in for two playoff runs if he'd be up to it.

Good point.

Giroux: 27 5v5 points in 666 minutes. A clear upgrade.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Trying to think off the board for guys who some think may not be in play. How about Casey Mittelstadt

Reactions: NotOpie

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I would think cost would likely be higher, because he's got a year left on his contract after this season. A guy like Drury would possibly have to be apart of the deal. Or somebody NHL ready like Ponomarev.

If the FO looks at Drury as a medium-term fixture in the lineup, Ponomarev may be expendable in the right trade. Giroux would be that type of trade.

Reactions: cptjeff

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If the FO looks at Drury as a medium-term fixture in the lineup, Ponomarev may be expendable in the right trade. Giroux would be that type of trade.
Or visa versa. Not that it is a enough of a sample size, but Pono looked like he would be able to be a Drury-like performer very soon during his camp and callup. And given their ages, Pono is a cheaper option for longer at this point. Plus Drury would be a more valuable add to Ottawa as an NHL right now. I'd offer Drury over Pono just because bringing in Giroux fills a center slot and makes a current NHL center less needed. Keep Pono in Chicago.

Edit: Of course, if Ottawa wanted KK, I'd be all for him in the trade instead of the other two.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Kuznetsov might be a good candidate for us.

Oof, I'm not sure about that. He has some of the worst defensive metrics in the entire NHL and also has a reputation for being disgruntled. He was a great player at one point, but that's a tough situation to evaluate. It would have to be dirt-cheap to even consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad