Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If I had to put money on the most likely suspects, I'd say ADA or Lundkvist.

I think there's a decent possibility one gets moved to bring in a higher-end player at LD.

Both have different appeals to teams.

ADA is a guy who has shown what he can do at the NHL, and it's in rare company. However, that's going to come with a corresponding price tag.

Lundqvist is a prospect, albeit a blue chip prospect, but one who hasn't accomplished anything at the NHL level yet. However, he comes with a low price point and a chance to help a team for a long, long time.

So, what do potential deals look like? Well, I think we've seen some on here that aren't really far off when it comes to the "type" of deal you might see pursued.

So if you're talking about ADA, you could very well see the Rangers look at names like Theodore or Bronin, among others.

If you're talking about Lundkvist, I think AK was on to something when he mentioned someone like Sandin.

Somewhat independent of those two, I think you have guys like Hanafin or Fowler lurking on the horizon of possibilities on the left side.

But focusing on just this particular question, I don't think it's going to be Trouba who's moved. And I know it's not going to be Fox. So that leaves ADA and Lundkvist.
How confident are you on this?

Theoreteically speaking, wouldn't we be better served with Lundkvist and signing a player like Edmundson to take the Trouba role?

I know its unlikely but it could be argued as the 'right move' for the team going forward. It made sense last off-season but no one could have expected the emergence of Fox and ADA.. along with it the riduclous season Lundkvist is having. Once again, for me, it comes down to Trouba's cap hit and his lack of mobility. He's 25 and has a very bad first step. It doesn't mean I dislike everything about him, there are concerns though... lack of foot speed and a bad contract is not a great recipe. He's being paid as a 50pts d-man. He wont be that here.

ADA has too much skill and character to move. Fox is Fox. I think they're both cornerstones. For me, it's either Lundkvist or Trouba and I'd be leaning to Trouba. It'd be an uncomfortable/awkward scenario but its whats best for the team. Things change...

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I dont think DQ is touching the D. Smith is there to stay in the backend for the rest of the season.
Was also nice to see him say yes to Benn on dancing last night . Benn did not do as good as he thought he might . Rangers right now are as team tough as we have been in a long long time...we have about 6-7 guys that would answer the bell...perfect !!!

Reactions: Cag29

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
DeAngelo for Theodore would be interesting

Two days ago, I mentioned in a PM conversation that I wanted the Rangers to sign Khodorenko. You also mentioned the same thing in a thread. Then they did shortly after.

I also basically suggested DeAngelo for Theodore in the same PM conversation just a couple of days ago.

WTF is going on? :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
so you are thinking a top end LD as the target over a high end forward? certainly wouldn't say no to a #1 LD but overall feels like forwards are a bigger need?

I think if all things are equal, they take the LD.

With forwards, I think there's more of a desire to add depth, rather than another high-end, high-priced forward. But it also really depends on who is out there.

The right guy comes along, at the right price, and it becomes hard to say no to that.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Two days ago, I mentioned in a PM conversation that I wanted the Rangers to sign Khodorenko. You also mentioned the same thing in a thread. Then they did shortly after.

I also basically suggested DeAngelo for Theodore in the same PM conversation just a couple of days ago.

WTF is going on? :laugh:
I believe the term is "great minds think alike" haha

Reactions: Tawnos

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
I feel Letteri should get a final chance to prove something but I'd guess either Hajek or Kravtsov get the call because of the 2 call ups remaining.

I think Letteri's only proven he has an above average shot, and that's it. He's not a good NHLer, but I'd call up any of the other scrubs Rangers have called up in the past because I don't want Kravtsov playing 5 mins a game. I'd leave Smith on the D too, he's better at his natural position....

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Not that this tool is end all/be all but DeAngelo and Theodore have both have very strong numbers this year

And Theodore is playing RD a lot this year because of Vegas lack of RD options

Hmm

Reactions: Kendo and Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How confident are you on this?

Theoreteically speaking, wouldn't we be better served with Lundkvist and signing a player like Edmundson to take the Trouba role?

I know its unlikely but it could be argued as the 'right move' for the team going forward. It made sense last off-season but no one could have expected the emergence of Fox and ADA.. along with it the riduclous season Lundkvist is having. Once again, for me, it comes down to Trouba's cap hit and his lack of mobility. He's 25 and has a very bad first step. It doesn't mean I dislike everything about him, there are concerns though... lack of foot speed and a bad contract is not a great recipe. He's being paid as a 50pts d-man. He wont be that here.

ADA has too much skill and character to move. Fox is Fox. I think they're both cornerstones. For me, it's either Lundkvist or Trouba and I'd be leaning to Trouba. It'd be an uncomfortable/awkward scenario but its whats best for the team. Things change...

On a scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm a 7 or 8 right now.

I think the Rangers really like Trouba and feel that his presence more or less allows the rest of the defense to do their thing. If anything, I think they're trying to figure out the best way to complement him - not necessarily move him.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not that this tool is end all/be all but DeAngelo and Theodore have both have very strong numbers this year

Hmm

similar age...solves a positional need for both teams and theodore is locked up for 5 years at a decent rate. at least at a high level it does seem like it would make enough sense for both sides that a discussion could happen. definitely not a crazy idea

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
weber = 6'4 230
ekholm = 6'4 215
josi = 6'1 201
ellis = 5'10 180

so not exactly comparable in terms of size...not to say that our guys can't be good but size-wise we'd basically have 4 ellises
My comparison was for the homegrown d-men part. I believe he said it’s rare to have an all-homegrown defense.

Reactions: Leetch3

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
On a scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm a 7 or 8 right now.

I think the Rangers really like Trouba and feel that his presence more or less allows the rest of the defense to do their thing. If anything, I think they're trying to figure out the best way to complement him - not necessarily move him.
That's easier to replace IMO.\

I like him to. If he was a LHD and cost $5-6M against the cap, he'd be perfect.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

Hmm

Theodore isn't nearly as dynamic as DeAngelo and this comparison also shows why using percentiles for player comparisons is ridiculous and if you want to make a uniform scale standard scores will show you a much more accurate picture.

PlayerP/60G/60A1/60A2/60
DeAngelo1.770.530.590.65
Theodore1.010.430.10.48
Difference75.25%23.26%490.00%35.42%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Theodore is in the 92nd percentile for goals and DeAngelo in the 94th, a minuscule diefference right? Not at all, DeAngelo has scored at a 23% higher rate.

Vegas better be adding Glass to the deal if we are getting Theodore in return for DeAngelo. Funny how you have people drooling over Makar's impact in Calder/Fox discussions when DeAngelo is as good/dynamic offensively while having a more well rounded game (and being several years older).

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Theodore isn't nearly as dynamic as DeAngelo and this comparison also shows why using percentiles for player comparisons is ridiculous and if you want to make a uniform scale standard scores will show you a much more accurate picture.

PlayerP/60G/60A1/60A2/60
DeAngelo1.770.530.590.65
Theodore1.010.430.10.48
Difference75.25%23.26%490.00%35.42%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Theodore is in the 92nd percentile for goals and DeAngelo in the 94th, a minuscule diefference right? Not at all, DeAngelo has scored at a 23% higher rate.

Vegas better be adding Glass to the deal if we are getting Theodore in return for DeAngelo. Funny how you have people drooling over Makar's impact in Calder/Fox discussions when DeAngelo is as good/dynamic offensively while having a more well rounded game (and being several years older).
Offensively yeah DeAngelo seems to be better but what does Theodore's defensive stats look like compared to DeAngelo? I'm curious

Reactions: Leetch3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad