Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI: The End (The Apocalypse Is Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I do not agree in the slightest.
I'm not saying I agree with this direction but that's how Gorton views it. They've created a window of contention starting from the 2021-2022 season which will most likely last 3 years until Panarin declines.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
The time is two years from now, earliest (solid playoff contenders). And from then on out, it's gonna be a rough climb to the top (solid Cup contenders).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
To expand on this point...did anyone see Brian Burke’s comments about how much Toronto missed Pat Marleau this year? An adult in the room. His words, not mine.

Yeah that's a problem I see with teams like Toronto, Buffalo, and Edmonton that don't seem to really bother trying to grow leadership in their room and give the C to their superstars at age 18 or whatever. Then you wonder why the team is inconsistent.

It's not about Kreider being captain material either, but how you have a stable and veteran core that has been through a lot and can show the team how to be professionals.

I mean I'm not content to give crappy players a pass just because of leadership either but it's not something you can ignor eand think that running out a team of 20 year olds is going to work out

Reactions: bobbop and jas

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't think we'll see K'Andre the Giant in the NHL next season.
Earliest would be the 21-22 season imo. I can see Lundkvist persuading his way into the D mix conversation though. Especially if we can move one of Smith/Staal. Heck i can see him pushing his way after his SHL season ends this year.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm not saying I agree with this direction but that's how Gorton views it. They've created a window of contention starting from the 2021-2022 season which will most likely last 3 years until Panarin declines.

I think Gorton is playing it down the middle, which I view as the wrong move, but I also do not think he views the rebuild as "over." And I do not expect him to go out and trade Lundkvist or Miller for a 26-27 year old marginal #1LHD.

I have a super long post in the Kreider extended thread here breaking down where I was seeing this team heading and where I still think it should head in the aftermath of the Kreider signing:

Confirmed with Link: - Kreider extended 7 years, AAV approximately $6.5MM

Long story short, I was in favor of adding Panarin, I am in favor of keeping Mika, I even could accept bringing on Trouba, but the sacrificing of future for present needs to end here with the Kreider signing. They have enough right now to be a playoff team next season. I would be shocked if they were not.

Stop trying to accelerate it further. In fact, they should probably even sell-off Fast and Strome and maybe even Buch at some point, because you can't make the same arguments for their irreplaceability that you can even for Kreider.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Earliest would be the 21-22 season imo. I can see Lundkvist persuading his way into the D mix conversation though. Especially if we can move one of Smith/Staal. Heck i can see him pushing his way after his SHL season ends this year.
When does his SHL season end? I'd never considered that.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
You don’t have to be a bottom feeder to continue to build

It's crazy how management is walking that tight rope. Team only got more exiting with Shesty coming up and we have jaw-dropping shit 90% of nights (100% if you consider negative jaw-drops). At the same time pipeline looks good, team is young and we have two 1st round picks in the upcoming draft. Just beautiful.

Reactions: egelband

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Cap outlook and current roster:

Chart-2-4.png

Chart-5-1.png

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Youngest team in the NHL, one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, 2 first round picks this year

“The rebuild is over”

We are very clearly still building

same chucklef***s who say things like Detroit and Ottawa have such a bright future!!!

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I wouldn't disagree with Ottawa...they have the ammo to set themselves up very nicely.

I would be very jelly, but us also having two 1st round picks calms me. The SJ pick is straight up government bail-out.

Looking forward to the battles that may go down with Ottawa 5 years from now.

PS: let me take this opportunity to show my appreciation for your avatar. I always see it around, recognize it and it's great to have Patrice on the board. :thumbu:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Youngest team in the NHL, one of the best prospect pools in the NHL, 2 first round picks this year

“The rebuild is over”

We are very clearly still building

Agreed. They're at a point where the chess pieces are all on the board. It's tough to declare a rebuild over until some of the recent picks/acquired prospects prove their NHL viability and fill the massive depth holes on this current roster.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
With Shesty, we're a playoff team. You're lying to yourself otherwise.

Add in another year of development and another year of youth infusion...

Trending up... set for takeoff

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed. They're at a point where the chess pieces are all on the board. It's tough to declare a rebuild over until some of the recent picks/acquired prospects prove their NHL viability and fill the massive depth holes on this current roster.
Again, there are two pretty big factors that are needed. The young forwards will need to step up and really be able to support the two top lines. And an even bigger focus finding a partner for both Trouba and DeAngelo. If Staal is skating full time even on the third pairing next year, that will spell trouble. If Trouba does not have a partner who can play with him against the opposition's top lines, there will be even more trouble.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
When does his SHL season end? I'd never considered that.
Looks like the Regular Season ends March 12th. Lulea has been a top team. So they likely will be playing until the end of March. Highly unlikely he would be brought over even if the Rangers wanted to due to the schedule and quality of Lulea.

Reactions: Thirty One

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
They had a pretty nice run for a while. And he is not short on cash.
They had a nice run when the salary cap was low. He's the cheapest owner in the league by far. He may not be short on cash but he doesn't spend it. The reason we got Mika from them is because Melnyk didn't want to pay him.

The Toxic Culture of the Ottawa Senators

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad