Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVI: The End (The Apocalypse Is Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'd give up Miller++ in a package for Cirelli. I think he can be as good as Point. ( His skill level may not be as high as Points) He's already amazing defensively, perennial Selke candidate.

We have the ELCs/prospects to get it done.

Zibs
Chytil
Cirelli

iu

I definitely believe Gorts will be using the youngins to wheel and deal from the draft to the beginning of next season.

The banderas GIF also works for showing my emotions toward how absolutely BOMB this team is going to be next season.

Oof.

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Tampa is not going to move Cirelli because they are in a cap crunch. They will move one of the more expensive guys so they can keep Cirelli because they are in a cap crunch. Someone might try to offer sheet, but it won’t be the Rangers.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The cognitive dissonance around people saying Matheson is significantly worse than Skjei, when they're very similar players (even more similar than Skjei and Hanifan) is funny

Reactions: RangersFan1994

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've moved on from Brodin... I want Lindholm or Ekholm now.

At 26, Lindholm will have 2 more years @ $5.2
At 29, Ekholm will have 2 more years @$3.75

Miller and Buch for Lindholm?

Lindholm Trouba
Lindgren Fox
ADA-Lundkvist

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'd give up Miller++ in a package for Cirelli. I think he can be as good as Point. ( His skill level may not be as high as Points) He's already amazing defensively, perennial Selke candidate.

We have the ELCs/prospects to get it done.

Zibs
Chytil
Cirelli

iu

Lindgren
S̶t̶a̶a̶l̶
S̶m̶i̶t̶h̶
Hajek

Now that Skjei is gone, and Staal/Smith being goners hopefully before the start of next year, Miller goes absolutely nowhere.

Reactions: cheech70

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I've moved on from Brodin... I want Lindholm or Ekholm now.

At 26, Lindholm will have 2 more years @ $5.2
At 29, Ekholm will have 2 more years @$3.75

Miller and Buch for Lindholm?

Lindholm Trouba
Lindgren Fox
ADA-Lundkvist

Lindholm will be needing a new contract the same time Zbad needs one. You’re probably talking about potentially 18M in cap space for both of them.

Reactions: RGY

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lindholm will be needing a new contract the same time Zbad needs one. You’re probably talking about potentially 18M in cap space for both of them.
You're right... My initial impression is they're looking for a plug. but we have a plethora of LHD prospects and Buch.

I feel like the front office has made their intentions known with Buch. He's going to be moved, just a matter of when and for what.

I just dont want to live in a world where Staal is that plug. Hopefully Robertson, Jones, Hajek etc tear it up in camp. Ekholm I guess could still be an option depending on cost.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You're right... My initial impression is they're looking for a plug. but we have a plethora of LHD prospects and Buch.

I feel like the front office has made their intentions known with Buch. He's going to be moved, just a matter of when and for what.
Gorton will eventually use some of the many assets he has and bundle them. I think he’ll target a player like Mika - young, cost controlled, and oozing with potential.

I’m sure he has a few guys on his radar. Maybe we’ll see some fireworks on draft day. Buch+Geo+1st? Howden? Lias? Hajek? ADA(although that would kill me).

Reactions: jas

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Gorton will eventually use some of the many assets he has and bundle them. I think he’ll target a player like Mika - young, cost controlled, and oozing with potential.

I’m sure he has a few guys on his radar. Maybe we’ll see some fireworks on draft day. Buch+Geo+1st? Howden? Lias? Hajek? ADA(although that would kill me).
The front office has my absolute trust. Their evaluations have been spot on IMO

They see that value in ADA. Only way he goes, is if he's part of a package for a better player. Highly unlikely.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I am really weary of moving Miller. Very hesitant. He has the size and raw ability. If he can work on his defensive game over the next year at Wisconsin I would much rather invest in having him around in the near future and longterm. Start him off on the 3rd pair.

We will still need a 1st pair LD. Dont see it coming from Hajek and Rykov. Lindgren is suitable for the 2nd pair at most. Same with Hajek and Rykov’s ceiling*.

But I would not trade Miller.

If they sign DeAngelo longterm, with Fox eventually being signed longterm as well, and Trouba manning the front of the RD ship, Lundkvist may be blocked.

NOW maybe DeAngelo slides over. Lundkvist-Miller start off slow as the 3rd pair. Maybe DeAngelo can play 1st pair D with Trouba as the stay at home D.

21-22 season:

DeAngelo-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Lundkvist

Last part of this...could Lundkvist come over at the end of the season as 3rd pair RD? DeAngelo slides up with Trouba. Lindgren-Fox. Staal-Lundkvist. Smith the extra.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I'm also not in a hurry to move Miller.

I am definitely, 100% opposed to moving 19 and 20 year olds for more 26, 27 and 28 year olds, unless it's a prospect that appears blocked like Keane, but even then I'd prefer to get back youth like we did with Gauthier.

Why are we rushing the rebuild?

Moving 25 year old Buch for a 25 year old LHD may make more sense. But even in that concept, I'd be trying to target 22 and 23 year old defenders who are ready to jump to the NHL in exchange for 25 year old Buch.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I saved this from the deadline thread...

This.

x1000

When I read posts about how veteran leadership doesn’t have great value, I want to throw up in my mouth. Players run the locker room. Even in the low minors, I saw teams flounder without leadership and other teams thrive with good leadership. When I got my first job in the minor leagues, Ron Ingram (former Rangers defenseman) showed me how he set up the leadership structure on a team even before he set up his lines and matchups.

Good leaders are priceless.
To expand on this point...did anyone see Brian Burke’s comments about how much Toronto missed Pat Marleau this year? An adult in the room. His words, not mine.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I will reiterate what I have said before. I'm not sure the LD's on this team need to be world beaters for this team to be successful. A group of #4's would be solid when paired with Trouba, ADA and Fox as long as they compliment each other. Another Lindgren who has a bit more size would be ideal for a guy like ADA. Trouba I think needs someone who can skate well and move the puck a bit.

I'm not sure I see the need to go out and spend big assets to get a #1LD. Also, if they are trading for a LD, he better have some term or be young enough to be a RFA. 2 years from UFA doesn't excite me.

Honestly the guy I really like who I think would fit in well with this group is Darnell Nurse. He could compliment either Trouba or ADA

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Folks licked blood I guess. Another 4 months of crazy proposals till the draft.

I'd stay put, most definitely do not trade young assets for established players in the next year.

We can think of adding through trades, when the young core has marinated enough and we're pushing hard for the playoffs.

What I'm trying to say, is that you add once you're one or two depth pieces away in two years earliest. (Kaapo would still be 20 years old only ...)

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
To expand on this point...did anyone see Brian Burke’s comments about how much Toronto missed Pat Marleau this year? An adult in the room. His words, not mine.

Pat Marleau was also just acquired for a third round pick at the deadline, if ever we should have the need to import someone like that.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
I'm also not in a hurry to move Miller.

I am definitely, 100% opposed to moving 19 and 20 year olds for more 26, 27 and 28 year olds, unless it's a prospect that appears blocked like Keane, but even then I'd prefer to get back youth like we did with Gauthier.

Why are we rushing the rebuild?

Moving 25 year old Buch for a 25 year old LHD may make more sense. But even in that concept, I'd be trying to target 22 and 23 year old defenders who are ready to jump to the NHL in exchange for 25 year old Buch.

The moment they signed Panarin, the rebuild was over. You don't spend 20 million on 2 players just to be "veteran presences". Shestyerkin is 24, Mika is Turing 27... the time is now. Can't see the team being interested in draft picks. And this team is a lot more talented than ppl think.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I will reiterate what I have said before. I'm not sure the LD's on this team need to be world beaters for this team to be successful. A group of #4's would be solid when paired with Trouba, ADA and Fox as long as they compliment each other. Another Lindgren who has a bit more size would be ideal for a guy like ADA. Trouba I think needs someone who can skate well and move the puck a bit.

I'm not sure I see the need to go out and spend big assets to get a #1LD. Also, if they are trading for a LD, he better have some term or be young enough to be a RFA. 2 years from UFA doesn't excite me.

100% agreed, especially not now. No need to go out and get a #1LD while we are figuring out what we have. Maybe we already have one in the system.

Maybe you need a minutes eater, but, I mean, just play Staal in that role. Let Hajek/Rykov and Lindgren eat the lesser minutes while they marinate. Yeah, Staal sucks, but overpaying for a LHD version of Trouba by costing you Miller would suck way, way worse. The roster does not have to be complete by next year.

Reactions: NYRangers16

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The moment they signed Panarin, the rebuild was over. You don't spend 20 million on 2 players just to be "veteran presences". Shestyerkin is 24, Mika is Turing 27... the time is now.

I do not agree in the slightest.

Also, this would be a horrible approach, if the rebuild is over.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad