Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
With the expansion draft coming in 2021 would trying to get an additonal 1st rounder next year be more valuable to teams?

Are teams still able to offer up their firsts to an expansion team in return for Seattle to pick a certain player?

I thought I read something stating the NHL was going to put a rule in place trying to avoid that scenario but can't quite remember

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Gorton both sell and buy by Monday IF Kreider and Fast are traded. Picking up a couple of guys like Jost and Grabner would make sense as it helps the team now and they are controllable.

Has there been any word why Rykov was held out?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Gorton both sell and buy by Monday IF Kreider and Fast are traded. Picking up a couple of guys like Jost and Grabner would make sense as it helps the team now and they are controllable.

If Grabner has been a healthy scratch for basically the month of February on the Yotes roster not sure hes a fit here, even at 50%.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

It was likely a healthy scratch. The tweet was just typical, lazy, half-assed reporting by Adam Herman.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
watching these 2 top lines recently makes me think its for real.

bread strome and fast makes no sense but it works. bread is featured with 2 guys who do a ton of the grunt work. strome has sneaky offensive skills to compliment bread.

KZB is just sublime. those 3 are in synch right now.

with a better 4th line (finally) now that can take a regular shift- i actually like lemme goat and howden, and 3rd line featuring kakko and chytl with phil who fits in perfect, we seem to have found something.

we are one or 2 guys away from the real deal.

staal and skjei :thumbd:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Unless a guy like Grabner comes via trading Smith, no thanks

Not that I think it will happen, but any attempt from Gorton to buy and not sell will immediately result in me losing my confidence in him

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
With all the teams with goalie issues, if Hank decides to leave we will have a buyer, and we shouldnt have to give him away either if we are holding cap space.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The consensus a few months ago was that the Rangers would be getting important contributions this season from Kakko, Kravtsov, Andersson, Rykov and Hajek. Pretty much everyone's stock has dropped except for Kakko and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another two seasons before Kakko really takes off. The lesson is that prospects usually take longer than expected and some won't even pan out.

The bottom line for me is trading Kreider leaves the team worse for the next two or three seasons.

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The consensus a few months ago was that the Rangers would be getting important contributions this season from Kakko, Kravtsov, Andersson, Rykov and Hajek. Pretty much everyone's stock has dropped except for Kakko and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another two seasons before Kakko really takes off. The lesson is that prospects usually take longer than expected and some won't even pan out.

The bottom line for me is trading Kreider leaves the team worse for the next two or three seasons.

What is the opportunity cost though. Where do you draw the line? If Kreider doesn't bend in his contract demands do you give the 7years at potentially over $7MM per? That could severely hamper the team in adding or re-signing key pieces down the road.

That is what Gorton is likely weighing right now.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Today should absolutely be the last day of contract negotiations.

Kreider and his agent know that they’re gonna have to leave significant money on the table. At this point if he’s not willing today to leave close to 10 million + on the table, he won’t be tomorrow either

Reactions: RGY

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Guys, do you expect any major trades in the league today or all/almost all significant moves will be made tomorrow? I can't remember how many deals were announced before Monday in the previous years. Am I right that 30 hours left?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Outside of Andersson nobody's stock has dropped, and that was due to attitude and some sort of foot issue. Not sure why you feel Kravtsov, Rykov or Hajek's stock have dropped. Rykov wasnt supposed to be a star, Hajek got injured and Kravtsov has been fine since he came back to N.A. I'd say your value might have been too high on these guys if anything. Players from overseas always have an adjustment period, ie Kakko and Kravtsov and personally I'd still take both those players where they were drafted, it's too early to be writing these guys off.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Guys, do you expect any major trades in the league today or all/almost all significant moves will be made tomorrow? I can't remember how many deals were announced before Monday in the previous years. Am I right that 30 hours left?

The Kreider deal will be late tomorrow imo, the Lundqvist trade if it happens is the same. Anyone else could go whenever.

Reactions: Michal

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Today should absolutely be the last day of contract negotiations.

Kreider and his agent know that they’re gonna have to leave significant money on the table. At this point if he’s not willing today to leave close to 10 million + on the table, he won’t be tomorrow either

I disagree, it wont be until the last minute that the actual thought he might really have to leave New York will hit him, that's when you make the deal, but imo he is as good as gone.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You are correct that there are thirty hours left. If past TDLs are any indication, I'd expect a couple of trades league-wide today, a spate of 3-5 in the 10:30-11:00am range tomorrow morning and then the steady flow starting a bit after noon.

But who knows. :)

Reactions: Michal

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lets go.

Trade Kreider to the Avs already:
- 2020 1st round pick
- Conditional 2021 1st round pick if Kreider resigns or Avs go to SCF (if he doesn't or they don't then 2021 2nd round pick)
- Jost

We have already lost leverage the longer we held out since teams know we have to take whatever we can so we don't get John Tavared. Take the deal and lets move on. We have played long enough with Kreider, if he hasn't signed an extension by now then what are we waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad