Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Kreider is the biggest fraud on the team. Where was this guy the last 7 years? Everyone knew he could play like this but I guess it takes money to motivate him. I love the way he is playing but I can't even think of paying his current value for the next 7 or 8 years when I know in my heart he is gonna go back to the guy that was frustrating us all at the start of the year.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Pausing from the trade deadline dry heaving...

The topic is roster building. How did we get here? It's rarely what you project or expect. It's something else. It was supposed to be Lias - but ended up being DeAngelo (who dangerously spent nearly a year in Quinn's doghouse. Not so far off being exposed to waivers. What a difference....Panarin was supposed to be in Florida. Panarin was supposed to be an offensively gifted playmaker. We had no idea what we were really getting. He forever changes the course of all that will follow..Fox was a (ready-made) gift, they don't typically come without a top 5 ov pick. Same on Shestyorkin. This is elite elite ++ talent that we have not had in decades. Decades, Jerry...

As for this 10/93/20, I love all of them. Love. I never had this attachment to the 2010-14 guys. Not even a fraction. I was never a Callahan guy. Stepan was fine. McD was all heart. Always respected what Girardi and the sacrifice of the shot blocking era, but all of those teams were Henrik centric to an unhealthy degree. (and I love Henrik).

The hockey gods are fickle. Fingers crossed that Kreider stays - for all the reasons repeated ad nauseam. He means too much - true value...Say a prayer for tomorrow.

Let's go on a run...

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Guys, do you expect any major trades in the league today or all/almost all significant moves will be made tomorrow? I can't remember how many deals were announced before Monday in the previous years. Am I right that 30 hours left?

Dunno, but usually something big happens the day before. The pre deadline activity has been much quieter this year than the last 2.

Reactions: Michal

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Not even remotely close to being the same situation.
For this season it would be.

Rangers look to have a longer term better situation as of right now, but that Devil's roster for that year has several parallels to the Rangers current roster.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Gorts runs a tight ship....silence..could work for CIA

Actually, he was very transparent at the beginning. Open letter to the fans. “We suck, we know we suck...and we’re going to strip it down and rebuild it.”

Come deadline and free agency the guy keeps it tight to the vest.

Reactions: cheech70

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If the Rangers did get Grabner they really are the 17-18 Devils.

Team who rode Hall, mistook that for being good, traded for Grabner, made the playoffs, were out in 5 games, and have not made them since.

Absolutely different circumstances and motivations. The Rangers would not be looking to upgrade top-6 by bringing Grabner. Rather a depth and PK replacement if / when Fast is moved and per @NYR Viper suggestion - a salary for salary exchange, not prospects / picks.

Reactions: NYR Viper and RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
For this season it would be.

Rangers look to have a longer term better situation as of right now, but that Devil's roster for that year has several parallels to the Rangers current roster.
Disagree. Lets break it down. But also, as you said...the longer term outlook is different. And a lot of those young kids are already here. And then there is the “young old” group of DeAngelo, Buch, Strome. Even DiGuiseppe isnt that old.

But lets break it down...Goaltending, Rangers have the edge easily here.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t remember who mentioned this but they were right, the average fan has no long term vision, as mean as it sounds

Generally everyone here seems to get it, but go on twitter and it’s like night and day

I’ll be interested to see the backlash Gorton gets if he does move Kreider. I think it will be significantly more severe if he does, as opposed to the backlash he’d receive from signing him

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don’t remember who mentioned this but they were right, the average fan has no long term vision, as mean as it sounds

Generally everyone here seems to get it, but go on twitter and it’s like night and day

I’ll be interested to see the backlash Gorton gets if he does move Kreider. I think it will be significantly more severe if he does, as opposed to the backlash he’d receive from signing him
I for one will not be outraged if he is traded. Disappointed, sure. Rioting? No. I think he should be extended but you cannot hand him a blank check essentially. I am torn on what numbers you ultimately end at.

$7.25 aav for 5 years?
$6.75 aav for 6 years?
$6.5 aav for 7 years?

Also, I do fear that while the asking price of a 1st, Top prospect, and one other piece, sound great...we could end up with a 1st and Jost and that just does not impress me. The late 1st will practically be a 2nd. Jost has not figured it out. I like him in the sense of getting him a Gauthier type trade. Not as a main piece for such a premium asset, rental or not.

Guess we’ll see.

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
with 5 left until the trading deadline and still 8 offers on the table the Rangers network went down :popcorn:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I for one will not be outraged if he is traded. Disappointed, sure. Rioting? No. I think he should be extended but you cannot hand him a blank check essentially. I am torn on what numbers you ultimately end at.

$7.25 aav for 5 years?
$6.75 aav for 6 years?
$6.5 aav for 7 years?

Also, I do fear that while the asking price of a 1st, Top prospect, and one other piece, sound great...we could end up with a 1st and Jost and that just does not impress me. The late 1st will practically be a 2nd. Jost has not figured it out. I like him in the sense of getting him a Gauthier type trade. Not as a main piece for such a premium asset, rental or not.

Guess we’ll see.

Plus 7 mill in cap space for 7 years, that's a big piece in evaluating the trade as well. That could be a ufa or someone we might not have had money to keep, ie DeAngelo.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Panarin/Hall
Kreider/Palmieri
Hischier/Chytil
Greene/Staal
Zacha/Kakko

Zajac, Butcher, Wood, Vatanen, Severson, strictly talking this season, the rosters have some comparisons.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This can’t be an option. The self rental is a total loss in every sense. Pick a direction

Agreed. Not this year anyway. Not with so many rookies. Even if we make the playoffs (which would be awesome), I would expect a hard fought but inevitable first round exit. That isn’t worth the total loss that would come with self renting.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Panarin/Hall
Kreider/Palmieri
Hischier/Chytil
Greene/Staal
Zacha/Kakko

Zajac, Butcher, Wood, Vatanen, Severson, strictly talking this season, the rosters have some comparisons.

sort of, but that team started hot and then really tapered off while being kept alive by Hall. They were sub .500 for the last 60 games of the season.

That devils team was a massive facade, everyone and their mother knew that a hard regression was coming

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Plus 7 mill in cap space for 7 years, that's a big piece in evaluating the trade as well. That could be a ufa or someone we might not have had money to keep, ie DeAngelo.
Not as concerned to be honest.

• Money coming off the books after next season. Significant money.
  • We can move pieces around. It wont be hard to move a Strome or Skjei or Buch or a combination of them. They will get value back and yes while they may still be taking salary back it either still could be less or a better valued deal. They could also do a 2-for-1 and then sign a cheap vet to fill a role that is suitable while you wait for a prospect to push through OR the next hockey trade
  • The 2nd contract for a lot of the kids just isnt concerning. They havent done enough to warrant a big pay raise that would not allow the rangers to make it through years 2-4 of Kreider’s contract. By years 5-7 the cap could be increased enough to handle these things. Players moving in and out. Howden doesnt deserve any big increase. Lias isnt even here. Fox is 2 years away still. Lindgren wont demand the world —may be selected by Seattle. Chytil will get the most and even that wont be crazy money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad