Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I though for sure Jost was going to knock it out of the park. Had such a good release. He could skate. Was a smart player. He just can’t put it together yet.

He’s got 5 goals in 57 games this year and 3 of those were in the same game!

can you imagine if he scored 2 goals in 56 games if we got him???
That’s Mckegg level of productivity

Reactions: Lion Hound

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Rangers should be buyers. Screw it.

Your kidding right? I'm going to assume you are, seeing teams in the 2nd year of full fledged rebuilds don't often go on buying sprees...lol

Only thing Rangers should be doing by Monday is figuring out a way to sign Kreider to mutually agreeable term and salary and if not for some reason, getting as good a return for him as possible ...that's it!!

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Can anyone see Gorton trading Fast & Kreider for kids, prospects, picks and then targeting a long term replacement for CK?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
giphy.gif

Grabner only makes sense for Smith

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Fast, the fourth-most-senior Ranger, went out and scored two goals in a 3-2 win over San Jose that the Rangers, um, got away with and, you could say, didn’t deserve.
I asked him if he has any inkling about how any contract talks were going. He said he honestly doesn’t know. He has let his agent handle it completely. He has tried hard to not think about what it means to be an unrestricted-free-agent-to-be on a rebuilding, selling team.
Kreider has, too. In Kreider’s case, it sounds as if there’s a stalemate, and stalemates need deadlines, and the NHL provides one.
Jeff Gorton, the Rangers GM, and Kreider’s agent, Matt Keator, have talked lately, but not a lot very recently. This could go either way, 50/50. I imagine this is still about the term — the Rangers very likely not willing to go to seven years for a player who turns 29 right after the regular season; Kreider and his agent with every right to shoot for the seven that he will get July 1. The salary is probably secondary at this stage.

Carp had this in his game story.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Carp had this in his game story.

I'm often surprised by how it seems that players just don't 'care' about their contracts etc. I know that they pay other people to deal with it on their behalf, but it boggles my mind that they don't have more understanding of what's going on; especially when there always horror stories (Jack Johnson as an example) about what can be done.
It's not like they are that busy that couldn't keep tabs on what's going and provide input.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Your kidding right? I'm going to assume you are, seeing teams in the 2nd year of full fledged rebuilds don't often go on buying sprees...lol

Only thing Rangers should be doing by Monday is figuring out a way to sign Kreider to mutually agreeable term and salary and if not for some reason, getting as good a return for him as possible ...that's it!!
The Rangers aren’t going to buy, but the rebuild is basically over. There is certainly an argument to go for the playoffs. They don’t need more futures. This is not a great draft when you get to the area the Rangers are going to be picking in. The Islanders are in free fall. Hurricanes are the walking dead with their injuries and the Rangers certainly are not any worse than the Flyers. Columbus shot their load.

All the obvious buyers have already made their moves and if you know you are extending Kreider, what is the point in not loading up. You can improve the team for a playoff run without either ending a rebuild or going on a buying spree. This is a fun team rallying bring the best young goalie in the league. They really aren’t that far away from being dangerous again. If you aren’t trading Kreider, (and either taking a subpar deal from Colorado or moving him to a rival to do so), the team should try to get better. See what’s out there.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Does anyone else feel like what happened with Carolina tonight is the perfect storm for Hank? Not saying this can or will happen, but Hank seems... disgruntled to say the least. Now, he has a chance to go to a team that is in the running for a playoff spot where he will (at least for a bit) will be the undisputed #1 (and Raleigh is about a 90 minute flight to NYC - it's nothing). It won't cost Carolina an arm and a leg. It frees up some cap for the Rangers and solves their 3 headed goalie issue. Seems like everyone wins, no?

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Does anyone else feel like what happened with Carolina tonight is the perfect storm for Hank? Not saying this can or will happen, but Hank seems... disgruntled to say the least. Now, he has a chance to go to a team that is in the running for a playoff spot where he will (at least for a bit) will be the undisputed #1 (and Raleigh is about a 90 minute flight to NYC - it's nothing). It won't cost Carolina an arm and a leg. It frees up some cap for the Rangers and solves their 3 headed goalie issue. Seems like everyone wins, no?

They kinda have other ufa options plus nyr wants to catch them so maybe not

Georgiev would fit them better aswell

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Carolina isn’t going to pony up a prime asset for Hank. They lost Pesce tonight too. Hamilton is already on the shelf. They will give a mid round pick to Chicago for Lehrer and hope that works. They aren’t in a great buying position with so many of their best players out.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Carolina isn’t going to pony up a prime asset for Hank. They lost Pesce tonight too. Hamilton is already on the shelf. They will give a mid round pick to Chicago for Lehrer and hope that works. They aren’t in a great buying position with so many of their best players out.

I wasn't at all suggesting that they should or that NYR should ask for a prime asset. What NYR gains is cap space and a solution to their 3 goalie problem. What CAR gains is a goaltender who can still win games for them despite no longer being elite while they're in a playoff push. What Hank gains is starts and being a hop skip and a jump from NYC.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I'm often surprised by how it seems that players just don't 'care' about their contracts etc. I know that they pay other people to deal with it on their behalf, but it boggles my mind that they don't have more understanding of what's going on; especially when there always horror stories (Jack Johnson as an example) about what can be done.
It's not like they are that busy that couldn't keep tabs on what's going and provide input.

They likely do know exactly what's going on and use the 'my agent handles that' line to deflect from media attention regarding the matter and to get out of having to speak about it publicly...

Reactions: Siddi

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Chicago is also probably in all likelihood dangling Lehner.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Man this is insane... Rangers have really been playing well lately, making it really tough on Gorton. I have no idea what he's gonna do

Yeah, it can't be easy.

BUT, I just don't see how keeping Kreider makes sense long-term. They can always keep him and make the decision in the summer.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
What gives me a bit of pause and question if this recent run is sustainable is the amount of shots this team gives up. I think there have only been 3 games in the month of February (out of 12) where the Rangers have let up less than 30 shots (and one of the games was a loss).

33% of the games they let up more then 40 (all wins). Long term and in the playoffs that will not likely hold up.

During that time Shesh's numbers have been amazing. 2.23GAA and 94% SAV%.

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020

Cap Relief is the prime asset Carolina would be offering up. Quite frankly if Carolina was interested I'd almost being willing to offer Hank + 2020 5th, for Carolina 7th.

In a similar type Marleau trade. Let Carolina buy out hank at end of year once they are done with him

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Cap Relief is the prime asset Carolina would be offering up. Quite frankly if Carolina was interested I'd almost being willing to offer Hank + 2020 5th, for Carolina 7th.

In a similar type Marleau trade. Let Carolina buy out hank at end of year once they are done with him

Not sure why the Canes would do that. It really only benefits the Rangers. Lundqvist hasn't played in over 20 days and I think 3 times since the beginning of the year.

They'd be signing up for dead cap space for two years if they bought him out (albeit sharing the overall cost with the Rangers, I think $2.75MM hit next season and $750k the next). All for a 5th round pick.

They likely have cheaper rental options out there in net (Miller/Lehner).

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
Not sure why the Canes would do that. It really only benefits the Rangers. Lundqvist hasn't played in over 20 days and I think 3 times since the beginning of the year.

They'd be signing up for dead cap space for two years if they bought him out (albeit sharing the overall cost with the Rangers, I think $2.75MM hit next season and $750k the next). All for a 5th round pick.

They likely have cheaper rental options out there in net (Miller/Lehner).

Just a hope and dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad