Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXIII | Something is rotten in the state of Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
We traded Richer to them for the playoffs, yes?

When is the last time the Devils actually traded a player, even an impending UFA, to anyone within the division?

They traded Chris Terreri to the Isles for John Vanbiesbrouck in 2001.

Just found this site, it's pretty interesting to look back:
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/home

Terreri retired in 2001, so they were basically just moving a warm body to a non-playoff team.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They traded Chris Terreri to the Isles for John Vanbiesbrouck in 2001.

Just found this site, it's pretty interesting to look back:
http://www.nhltradetracker.com/home

Terreri retired in 2001, so they were basically just moving a warm body to a non-playoff team.

Not counting goalies?

Lou's last trade to one of the old Atlantic teams was 1995 . . . Claude Lemiuex to the Isles for Steve Thomas. :laugh:

EDIT: That looks like the old one.

Michael8771*

Bernier would be your L4 RW, and I don't see them spending any assets with Adams there for what they may or may not see as the upgrade.
I definitely see him as an upgrade over Adams, and even if they don't, having another big bodied winger who has some offensive acumen might help when you consider potential injuries. I'd like getting him for depth alone. And his salary is only 600k. We can fit then in without an issue I believe.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I definitely see him as an upgrade over Adams, and even if they don't having another big bodied winger who has some offensive acumen might help when you consider potential injuries. I'd like getting him for depth alone. And his salary he 600k.

Sure, I'd take him over Adams too.

But, as I said, in the team's mind, I think they'd see there not being a role for him, since we've got Adams already and Bennett as the 13th forward.

Michael8771*

Sure, I'd take him over Adams too.

But, as I said, in the team's mind, I think they'd see there not being a role for him, since we've got Adams already and Bennett as the 13th forward.
I hear what you're saying but again, with injuries and such it would help add depth. And looking down at WB, I don't see much in the way of help there. Not this season anyhow. Since the PO's are a war of attrition it's better to have too much than not enough. Such a move helps insulate us regarding injuries. And if he sits games, well so be it. But TBH I think with his size, MJ would give him a long look.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder what it'd take to get Kessel or JVR out of Toronto. It's pretty clear that Kessel's done there, and if he is traded, the team's gonna go full rebuild. Maybe JVR is moved as well? Probably not... Wishful thinking.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder what it'd take to get Kessel or JVR out of Toronto. It's pretty clear that Kessel's done there, and if he is traded, the team's gonna go full rebuild. Maybe JVR is moved as well? Probably not... Wishful thinking.

Well, a 1st, our top F prospect, our top D prospect, potentially our top G prospect...maybe an NHL'er as well.

Not worth it I think. The Leafs sold high on their bottom 6 players and a decent top 4 defender..I can't imagine what Nonis will want for either of those guys, it'd take a lot.

For JVR, a young top 6 winger and a pick or prospect likely. For Kessel, way more.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I still can´t believe that there were some people advocating Hartnell in the previous thread. Wow, I don´t even... wow. Some of those people actually analyze trades like crazy every ****ing day and apparently they still know nothing about bad contracts and the terrible impacts they would have on a cap-strapped team like the Pens. Scott Hartnell with his contract has a negative value now and the people saying that they wouldn´t mind him here should feel very bad for themselves.

If JR trades for Hartnell, I would be hurt. Such a terrible terrible idea.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
BrunoPuntzJones said:
Dahlbeck is like a C prospect though. He's gotten a few NHL games but HF gives him the same grade as Nick D'Agostino. Which doesn't exactly mean much, but it's not like Arizona managed to get Chicago's Harrington. Maybe their Dumoulin?

And is Chicago's system really stacked now? I think people just say that because it's conventional wisdom at this point, but I really wonder if it's necessarily the case. Rockford's leading scorer this year is T.J. Brennan, who just got traded. He's a tweener defenseman. The Icehogs' roster is overall kind of underwhelming. They've got a few NCAA guys but not many notable guys left in major junior. Aside from Teravainen I'm not sure who is supposed to be knocking on the door for them.

The thing about their prospects is, they may not be rated highly, but they draft players that fit their system and the way they play so well. That's the strength of their system.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think it's Hartnell. I think if anything it's kind of a smaller move. You can ask why the big shots of the scouting department would be there for a smaller move but they may be needed in a smaller move just as much as a bigger move due to a possible lack of familiarity with the smaller name involved.

It could be Atkinson, it could be a depth D like Leopold (as much as that makes me cringe), or even Letestu. They have familiarity with Letestu but they may want their scouts to take a closer look to see if his game has evolved or changed any.

The Jackets GM Jarmo Kekäläinen did have a thing for KK in the draft though. That's the only thing that gives me some pause about saying it's 100% not a bigger trade. The only way KK moves is in a bigger trade for someone like Foligno or JJ. A bigger deal like that still seems unlikely though.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I want Hartnell.

As much as this board hates him, I look at it as the exact reason we should all want him. Total PITA to play against and despite his slowness of foot, he's just the type of grit we need for the playoffs.

Thoughts?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
JR has been very targeted in his approach. He got the winger Perron in a hockey trade for a number one. He swapped Goc who wasn't the physical fourth line player that the team required. JR upgraded that as well. He may have overpaid for Winnik, but he was the player JR wanted to upgrade the LW position. This team as constructed is far superior to the roster this time last year. All in all, good moves. At least the Pens are responding to the present environment rather than the Shero doing deals to do deals.

Miss Ausguins

Needs moar Vodka
Jul 28, 2010
Straya
Hart ell in a Penguins Jersey. Don't make me throw up. On the other hand, wonder what all the Flyers Fans will think of that one?

Michael8771*

I want Hartnell.

As much as this board hates him, I look at it as the exact reason we should all want him. Total PITA to play against and despite his slowness of foot, he's just the type of grit we need for the playoffs.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that I'm not Keen on that contract.

Michael8771*

Personally, I'm ok if we stay pat. But it's fairly apparent some of you really wanna see another move. I don't know, too many moves could hurt the chemistry I guess.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I want Hartnell.

Thoughts?

He's not the same player and on a bad contract. Theres a reason philly gave him away for peanuts.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
People just want to make moves to make moves. ***** when we don't make moves, ***** cause we don't have draft picks.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I thought the defence and support of Adams but just refined to one or two media people but I've been having a running battle on r with someone who believes that Adams should play over Bennett and that he (BB) is a scrub.

What games do these people watch?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It's amazing how similar Kunitz and Hartnell are statistically this season.

Kunitz
53GP 16G 21A 37Pts

Hartnell
56GP 14G 25A 39Pts

^ Both scoring at a 57 points pace this season.

Kunitz Time On Ice
PP 3:04
ES 14:46
Total 18:00

Harntell Time On Ice
PP 2:49
ES 14:49
Total 17:41

Pretty minimal difference in playing time too.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think it's Hartnell. I think if anything it's kind of a smaller move. You can ask why the big shots of the scouting department would be there for a smaller move but they may be needed in a smaller move just as much as a bigger move due to a possible lack of familiarity with the smaller name involved.

It could be Atkinson, it could be a depth D like Leopold (as much as that makes me cringe), or even Letestu. They have familiarity with Letestu but they may want their scouts to take a closer look to see if his game has evolved or changed any.

The Jackets GM Jarmo Kekäläinen did have a thing for KK in the draft though. That's the only thing that gives me some pause about saying it's 100% not a bigger trade. The only way KK moves is in a bigger trade for someone like Foligno or JJ. A bigger deal like that still seems unlikely though.

And I do believe JR has a decent feel for this team at the moment, and I love the moves he's done. The deal could be for either or, but I think we have the pieces to get a deal done to bring in both. Bringing in Foligno and Johnson accomplishes 2 things - 1. We get cost certainty for 2 relatively young players. 2. They both bring a dynamic we are DESPERATELY missing. 3. I think both players would fit the room here like a glove, and I think both would bring the type of leadership we need - boisterous, cockiness that has no problem talking the talk and then walking the walk.

I have reservations that JJ can turn into a shutdown defenseman, which gives me pause. Me saying that is also saying something because I've had a big desire to bring Jack in here since his Carolina days. He just cannot get his defensive issues reeled in.

A deal like that though, you know KK is going the other way, along with a few of our defensive prospects and salary. In other words, it is probably not worth the depletion of assets for players who are not going to be game breakers.

The offseason continues to look like when we should make a big deal, as most teams will have a great deal more flexibility, and we'll have more suitors.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I want Hartnell.

Thoughts?

I want Hartnell from 4 years ago. That guy is the one you want. He brought it all to the table.

Hartnell at 32 and having a contract until he's 37...you don't want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad