Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Rangers would probably end up ok as long as there were no Bertuzzis involved in the arbitration process.

lol, well in the end, the Flyers likely would have been better off with Forsberg and company long term than the short term Legion of Doom

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So col wouldn't trade pick 16 at the draft for CK bc they wanted newhook. Newhooks value has to be up from his draft based on his play this season. CK is a ufa in a matter of months. You're going to tell me that we would've deal CK at last draft for newhook but now that we are months from ufa we wouldn't exchange him for newhook while adding strome for a 2nd that could turn into a 1st? Come on...
And what has Kreider’s value done during the season? For an interested team that has desires on a cup?

Newhook plus a conditional 1st if COL makes it to the WCF.

Why bring Strome into this and devalue him? Only a 2nd??

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
And what has Kreider’s value done during the season? For an interested team that has desires on a cup?

Newhook plus a conditional 1st if COL makes it to the WCF.

Why bring Strome into this and devalue him? Only a 2nd??
If newhook plus a 1st were on the table do you think CK is still playing for NYR?

You're going to seriously let strome get in the way of acquiring a potential top line forward?
Ryan frick'n strome? The guy we got for Spooner? The guy racking up points with breadman? Come on. This is about quality of assets, not the number of assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: charliemurphy

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
If newhook plus a 1st were on the table do you think CK is still playing for NYR?

You're going to seriously let strome get in the way of acquiring a potential top line forward?
Ryan frick'n strome? The guy we got for Spooner? The guy racking up points with breadman? Come on. This is about quality of assets, not the number of assets.
Let Ryan Strome get in the way? What the hell are you talking about? Including him in the deal is just a piss poor job of value assessment.

Did you see what Tyler Toffoli just brought back? Miss that one? Why am I giving Strome away for a 2nd round pick when I can get 2-3 pieces for him alone? He is an RFA who is younger than Toffoli.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

So what if we got him for Spooner? Good trade by Gorton for getting the better of the deal. People keep dismissing Strome's contributions because he is playing with Panarin. Is Fast racking up the points also playing with Panarin? Was Panarin on the team last year when Strome was productive for us and scored 19 goals? Obviously he has benefited from playing with an elite talent like Panarin but not everybody would be able to produce at at 65-70 point pace that he is currently on. Give the guy some credit.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
So what if we got him for Spooner? Good trade by Gorton for getting the better of the deal. People keep dismissing Strome's contributions because he is playing with Panarin. Is Fast racking up the points also playing with Panarin? Was Panarin on the team last year when Strome was productive for us and scored 19 goals? Obviously he has benefited from playing with an elite talent like Panarin but not everybody would be able to produce at at 65-70 point pace that he is currently on. Give the guy some credit.

I've come to realize that some fans just hate Strome regardless of what he does. All he's done since coming here is produce, and that's before he was paired with Panarin dating back to this year and last year.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Kaut may have lost a bit of his shine and I have my doubts about his upside at the NHL level but of all the NYR deadline deals he would arguably be the highest value prospect coming back.

He’s a pretty good value piece if they are moving Kreider. And a clear #4 on the Avs prospect depth chart it sounds like.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
A deal involving Kreider for Newhook would be somewhat similar to the Stone trade. In terms of relative value

I honestly cant picture this team without Kreider...

If we could somehow get Newhook for Buch++..... oh baby

Buch, Kravtsov, Georgiev
for
Newhook, Kamenev +

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
2) Taking the cap saved and throwing most of the savings at Ryan Strome instead.

Not that I disagree that Kreider > Stome, but Stromer will cost less, is younger, and needs like, 3 points over the next 20 games to exceed CK’s career high in points.

You obviously credit Breadman for some of his success.... But, Strome produced about .5PPG last year w/o breadman on a new team.

Strome has been a, freaking fantastic acquisition for us. One of the most underrated trades Gorton has made here.

It’s not an easy decision for Gorton. CK, Strome, and ADA have all excelled. It’s a good problem to have, but it’s still a problem because you basically have to lose someone.

CK makes the most sense considering we have a 1LW. And he’ll cost the most. Doesn’t play Center. Isn’t a RHD 24 year old pimp like ADA. And will likely plateau in his contract whereas the other players at hand won’t.

CK and strome for newhook and a 2nd that becomes a 1st if CK resigns.

Now let's move on

Or, f*** the previous plan.

I like it. Throw in Geo and change that 2nd to a guaranteed 1st with Kaut attached.

CK, Strome, Geo ~ Newhook + Kaut + 1st.

Trade Fast + Hajek/Howden for a 2nd.

Bundle our 1st, Colorado’s 1st and Lias for a top-5 pick.... (assuming we’re picking like, 12th).

PROFIIIIITTTTTT.

I need a shower after going full Bern. G’night you filthy shitheads.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
They don’t even need to give me a first if they’ll include Newhook.

Yeah I'd go with that as well. Let's see if Sakic blinks. In a way I hope he doesn't cause I really want us to keep Kreider and figure out a way to sign him to mutually agreeable contract.

But if Newhook is involved, I think we have to do it....we'll see soon enough

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
He gets credit but we in general it seems that his value is being pumped. On most contending teams he's a 3rd liner that can move up when needed. I wouldn't let a 3rd liner get in the way of acquiring a potential top line player before he gets to the nhl. I know it's potential, but it sets this team up wonderfully going forward.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Let Ryan Strome get in the way? What the hell are you talking about? Including him in the deal is just a piss poor job of value assessment.

Did you see what Tyler Toffoli just brought back? Miss that one? Why am I giving Strome away for a 2nd round pick when I can get 2-3 pieces for him alone? He is an RFA who is younger than Toffoli.
Ryan strome prior to the past year was a marginal player at best. You're comparing him to a guy with 2 cups, a 30g and two 20g seasons to his resume at the age of 27. Strome is 26 with a career high of 18g in a year and may be a late bloomer but I think he is more a product of right player in the right situation to see his production increase.

So if you're sitting here comparing strome to toffoli and expecting that return than I have to wonder why Benning didn't offer nyr that package for strome when he would come with control as an rfa center/wing rather than spend it on a ufa winger. The most likely answer is toffoli was a more attractive player option despite what you want to believe.

This board in general is absolutely falling into the trap of an nyr player has more value bc he's on my team.

Reactions: RiffyNYR61

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'm still prepared/content with some of the less glamorous returns for Kreider. 1st+ Heinen + Lauko.

I'd look at Heinen like Strome where if you give him 17 minutes a night can he play to that level? Yes? Cool. No? That's fine you end up with a cheap RFA that can play up and down the lineup.

That pick is big to me. Can't overlook what the Rangers have done with their last few late firsts. Chytil at 21, K'Andre at 22 and a guy setting records at 28. There's a number of home run swings to be taken in that range in this draft.

Fair to assume Lauko would be one of the more realistic prospects to be had from Boston

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Very good points made here.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
It’s not an easy decision for Gorton. CK, Strome, and ADA have all excelled. It’s a good problem to have, but it’s still a problem because you basically have to lose someone.
ADA is definitely off the table,... now that we traded Keane.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts:

1. I think a Hank to Colorado trade could get done -- if the two front-offices got creative. Only Toronto has shown a tendency to want to get creative, and they are not involved.

The thing is, I don't think Colorado would mind Hank as a rental, but they don't want to stand there with a big ego 4.5m back-up on their hands next season. And there is of course a risk for that. So if a trade could be arranged where Colorado would acquire Hank with a sell-option back to NY after the season, that they can use if things don't work out, they could definitely be game. But, and while I don't know this for sure, I don't think "options" like this are allowed under the CBA.

However, conditional picks are allowed and through them you could create a almost waterproof incentive for Gorton to take Hank back in a trade this summer if things haven't worked out in Colorado. For example, we trade Hank and a 2021 conditional 2nd to Colorado for a 4th and a 5th. Whatever. The 2021 conditional 2nd will go to Colorado if they buy out Hank next summer. When you revisit things after the season, its hard to see how (i) Gorton wouldn't want to agree to take Hank back to get Colorado to drop the condition, and (ii) its hard to see how Sakic wouldn't want to dump Hank back on us to save the money and cap space which a buy-out wastes for you. Circumvention? I could write many pages with arguments for it isn't which would be boring, but I will just say that I am convinced that it wouldn't be. Creating future incentives to act in a certain way is not circumvention.

2. Gorton should play Kreider up until the the deadline. He is by all accounts returning mostly picks, lottery tickets at improving the franchise significantly. The odds of Kreider getting hurt is just low. Every time we set a team on the ice we take big risks. Kakko could face a career ending injury. Should we sit him for meaningless games too?

These games aren't meaningless. We got a shot at the Cup this year, albeit tiny as ****. JMHO.

3. I am sure Gorton himself isn't at all certain on how many deals we will see at the deadline. But I think they could be fewer than what is expected, and I would definitely not rule out that we do not see Gorton make a single trade more (!). I could be wrong and that option could be very unlikely, but my take on this is that Gorton's "moves" in the air are on the more complicated scale, and time and ability to find a dance partner aren't a given.

4. Anyone know where Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 7 can be seen, I need to work and I am at home with the kids that are bugging me. PM me.

5. I don't know how Vegas calculates the odds for making the POs. But I have a hard time seeing us gain 6 pts on Carolina and the Islanders over 23 games. 46 pts to play for. If we go 16-7 we get 32 pts. Neither of those two teams can go 13-10. Who knows.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
That is New York.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad