Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
It’s kinda hilarious that it does look like it’ll come down to those two. Because it’s pretty much been about those two since the season started.

No kidding. Colorado has been that way since the draft. As @Edge said, nearly happened for the 16th pick, but Newhook being available changed all that.

The ties to Boston are screaming Bruins, but their assets are not there. Kaur and Studnicka are on the same level, but Colorado can take the loss of Kaut, the Bruins are losing their #1 prospect. Kaut might not even be in their top 3 prospects.

It's why in the end, if Sakic wants Kreider, he'll get him.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
No kidding. Colorado has been that way since the draft. As @Edge said, nearly happened for the 16th pick, but Newhook being available changed all that.

The ties to Boston are screaming Bruins, but their assets are not there. Kaur and Studnicka are on the same level, but Colorado can take the loss of Kaut, the Bruins are losing their #1 prospect. Kaut might not even be in their top 3 prospects.

It's why in the end, if Sakic wants Kreider, he'll get him.

With Makar graduated, I'd say Kaut is their 4th best prospect. Behind Byram, Newhook and Timmons.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

It's going to come down to these teams. Can't see any other options. They are the closest to challenging for the cup and any other team would be taking a leap of faith.

Colorado has better assets, but the Bruins window is closing sooner and might be more desperate to make a deal.

88 hours until the deadline and with Tampa breathing down Boston's necks, it could pressure them into the move.

Watching the St. Louis game now. Kreider would fit like a glove on that team.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
With Makar graduated, I'd say Kaut is their 4th best prospect. Behind Byram, Newhook and Timmons.

Annunen is very close to Kaut too. He's a stud and part of the reason why I don't think Georgiev is a legit option for them. He's tearing up LIIGA at such a young age.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
You are assuming we will get 2-3 legit cup runs before Kreider’s contract becomes awful and I don’t know why anyone would assume that.
I’m not assuming that. I’m stating that that is what better happen if they plan to win the Cup with this set of players. That’s the approximate window we have to work with wherein Panarin is still elite and Zib and Kakko are on cheap contracts. If they don’t get it done by then, it’ll be time for some more wholesale changes because our currently expensive guys will be declining and our currently cheap guys will be expensive.

That is why I didn’t want to sign Panarin. But we did, and he’s amazing, so the plan needs to change. This isn’t about the next decade anymore, it’s about the next 5 years max.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You reverse jinxed it :thumbd:

It will be fine if we take care of our own business.

CBJ might have gotten a point but they may have lost Bjorkstrand again.

Cant see this team hanging on forever with the 6 goalie system they have to deploy to be in games. I know they put up 3 tonight but on most nights they will really need unexpected players to step up.

Reactions: bl02

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Annunen is very close to Kaut too. He's a stud and part of the reason why I don't think Georgiev is a legit option for them. He's tearing up LIIGA at such a young age.

We have groupings, kind of.

A+: Byram
A/A-: Newhook/Timmins
B: Bowers/Kaut/Annunen
C: Ranta/Kovalenko/Helleson/Zhuravlyov

Everybody else comes later, IMO.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’m not assuming that. I’m stating that that is what better happen if they plan to win the Cup with this set of players. That’s the approximate window we have to work with wherein Panarin is still elite and Zib and Kakko are on cheap contracts. If they don’t get it done by then, it’ll be time for some more wholesale changes because our currently expensive guys will be declining and our currently cheap guys will be expensive.

That is why I didn’t want to sign Panarin. But we did, and he’s amazing, so the plan needs to change. This isn’t about the next decade anymore, it’s about the next 5 years max.

Close to 20 million is coming off the books after next year. There will be more cap space than you think especially if Kreider is traded.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Been saying it for a while.

Strong fit for Dallas and Vegas as well.
Definitely could still see Kreider in a Blues/Dallas jersey. He would be great on both of those teams and put them over the top for a cup.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

CBJ might have gotten a point but they may have lost Bjorkstrand again.

Cant see this team hanging on forever with the 6 goalie system they have to deploy to be in games. I know they put up 3 tonight but on most nights they will really need unexpected players to step up.

That Knee bend against the boards looked nasty. It's amazing Tort's team season has come to this because of all these injuries.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Why do people keep saying but at 35 he’s going to be slowing down. At 35 even if he signed a 7 year deal his contract would be ending

Columbus and the islanders are in trouble

Reactions: RGY

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
the players on those teams are huge.
It sucks that JG has not been able to get one of those teams interested to help raise the price withing the tight Central (at least what has been made public seems like only Colorado has serious interest).

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Watching the St. Louis game now. Kreider would fit like a glove on that team.
Boston and St. Louis both have a chip on their shoulder, and expect to face each other again this postseason. Either team trading for Kreider would see it as double Kreider's actual value: acquiring him will also deprive their chief rival of adding Kreider.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
We have groupings, kind of.

A+: Byram
A/A-: Newhook/Timmins
B: Bowers/Kaut/Annunen
C: Ranta/Kovalenko/Helleson/Zhuravlyov

Everybody else comes later, IMO.

Unless Joe is willing to include Newhook as no way he'd even consider Byram, Gorton needs to do what he needs to do to keep Kreider here. It's as simple as that folks as there should be no scenario where Gorton just deals Kreider who is playing the best hockey of his career for 3 months straight now(the Panarin Effect?) and maybe this is the new norm for Kreider with Panarin here, should settle for less than a Newhook.

There are some in here who have said no way Avs would deal us Newhook. Well if they want to win a Cup this year or next, they need to seriously consider it seeing you have to give something to get something. And Newhook plus a 1st is fair return for the very real chance the Avs get out of a very very winnable Western Conference if they brought Kreider into the fold and very possibly win a Cup this year or next as their window isn't more than a few years until all their young studs need to get paid!.

Ironically tho, if we want to win the Cup in the next 5-6 years, we likely need to figure out a way to keep Kreider cause without him, alot of things are going to need to go right for this to happen as Kreider is not going to be an easy guy to replace in our lineup.

We get a Newhook tho, I'd take the gamble that we'd figure out a way to get a Cup withought Kreider. If not, no dice...we resign Kreider and that's that!

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen

But of course it’s not like we stop building in the meantime. In 5 years there will still be players drafted, signed and traded. It’s never a static situation. But I agree on one thing, if they go this route, they better make the most of it. But I’d rather we add to our prospect haul now, that way in a few years a few of them are on rookie deals to help offset the issues/contracts you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad