Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Starting next week the near term outlook for the roster's forward core is the following:

xxx-Zibs-Buch
Bread-Strome-xxx
xxx-Chytil-Kakko
Lems- Howdie-xxx

Kreids, Fast, and Mckegg get you a 1st, 2nd, 6th, and Two Prospects/players.

Gauthier fills one of those slots.
Digi is a good fill in for one those slots but perhaps better as a 13th forward.
You have to think that one of the two pieces coming back in a trade is going to be a roster player upfront.
With Lias busting away and Vitali enigmatic season, you really have Morgan Barron as the farmhand that can step in up front.

Net of it is, the Rangers still need to grab a top 6 forward in a trade and pray that one of the kids takes a major offensive step.

That's why you still hear about Geo being thrown out there for a forward. Say that's Labanc.

xxx-Zibs-Buch
Bread-Strome-Labanc
VK/CK Trade-Chytil-Kakko
Lems- Howdie-Goat

The Rangers are then a Kappa Kakko breakout and a veteran 4th liner away from having a really good forward group.
Been saying this a long time. Gorton will have to get creative, but the priority this summer should be to find some good bottom six forward to insulate the kids.

Acquiring a prospect like Newhook or Kyrou would be a real shot in the arm for the forward corps moving forward, but you can't count on that to fill in the void left by Kreider. Gauthier was a nice step in that direction in filling in the forward corps with trades via surplus defensemen.

I think Skjei is definitely in play for the right deal for a forward, but Gorton needs to have another deal ready to go to bring in a minute muncher top 4 LHD.

Anaheim is going to be liquidating per your post a few days ago. They're going to blow it all up. I hope Gorton is on the phone about Hampus Lindholm. He's the kind of defenseman both in terms of style of play and experience that this team needs. I'd trade a Buchnevich and a high pick/prospect to get it done. Perhaps parlay the late 1st round pick that Kreider gets into the deal with Anaheim to make it happen?

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Unless Joe is willing to include Newhook as no way he'd even consider Byram, Gorton needs to do what he needs to do to keep Kreider here. It's as simple as that folks as there should be no scenario where Gorton just deals Kreider who is playing the best hockey of his career for 3 months straight now(the Panarin Effect?) and maybe this is the new norm for Kreider with Panarin here, should settle for less than a Newhook.

There are some in here who have said no way Avs would deal us Newhook. Well if they want to win a Cup this year or next, they need to seriously consider it seeing you have to give something to get something. And Newhook plus a 1st is fair return for the very real chance the Avs get out of a very very winnable Western Conference if they brought Kreider into the fold.

Ironically tho, if we want to win the Cup in the next 5-6 years, we likely need to figure out a way to keep Kreider cause without him, alot of things are going to need to go right for this to happen.

We get a Newhook tho, I'd take the gamble that we'd figure out a way to get a Cup withought Kreider. If not, no dice...we resign Kreider and that's that!

Ok, but regardless of what we think, Sakic has repeatedly said he’s not trading those top 3 prospects.

So, if that remains the price for Kreider, I can assure you it won’t be Colorado that gets the deal done. Rangers should just re-sign him.

This was yesterday.

• “We have had plans for over a month now, we know who we want and have had the players identified.”
  • “Certain guys we aren’t willing to move.”
  • Reporter says “guys you don’t want to move... prospects like Byram, Newhook, Timmins?” Joe laughs and says “pretty good guess.”

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
My two biggest concerns with regards to trading Kreider:

1) Losing a core player and leader when the team is starting to show an upwards trajectory
2) Taking the cap saved and throwing most of the savings at Ryan Strome instead

I'm trying to picture how this team is better over the next 5 years with Strome instead of Kreider.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Ok, but regardless of what we think, Sakic has repeatedly said he’s not trading those top 3 prospects.

So, if that remains the price for Kreider, I can assure you it won’t be Colorado that gets the deal done. Rangers should just re-sign him.

This was yesterday.

• “We have had plans for over a month now, we know who we want and have had the players identified.”
  • “Certain guys we aren’t willing to move.”
  • Reporter says “guys you don’t want to move... prospects like Byram, Newhook, Timmins?” Joe laughs and says “pretty good guess.”

He did indeed.

But then @bobbop shows up an hour and a half ago to post this:

Bynam, no chance. Newhook...hmmm.

And now none of us know what to think...

Reactions: egelband

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
1st, either Bowers or Kaut, would be my target if it's the Avs. Maybe something conditional in there.

People really like Newhook, I do too, Rangers could have used the Jets pick on Tomasino or McMichael, they maybe even could have traded Kreider straight up for a pick that allowed them to draft either of them last draft too if they could make the cap work.

I am not worried about the Rangers having options going forward should they have cap space and assets, moving Kreider gives them both and likely another shot at a prospect in a similar tier to Tomasino or McMichael, if they decide to even make the pick instead of moving it again for a more immediate option.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
My two biggest concerns with regards to trading Kreider:

1) Losing a core player and leader when the team is starting to show an upwards trajectory
2) Taking the cap saved and throwing most of the savings at Ryan Strome instead

I'm trying to picture how this team is better over the next 5 years with Strome instead of Kreider.

Or we just trade both.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
all this board needs is for the the Rangers to pull a Lindros and trade Kreider to two teams . . . and have their own offer on the table.

that would go over well

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
all this board needs is for the the Rangers to pull a Lindros and trade Kreider to two teams . . . and have their own offer on the table.

that would go over well
Rangers would probably end up ok as long as there were no Bertuzzis involved in the arbitration process.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I want my TOP PROSPECT OR IM TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME.

Keep ur pick

Roster player? Keep it unless u need cap help
I think Gorton would rather go that route than get another pick or prospect added to the deal. He is and should go with quality over quantity especially after seeing the returns so far.

Reactions: Riche16

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He did indeed.

But then @bobbop shows up half an hour ago to post this:

And now none of us know what to think...
As much as I'd love to see it happen, I still think it's absolutely no chance. It makes no sense for COL to move him when he's pacing perfectly to replace Kadri as their 2C on a cheap contract once MacKinnon is due his big payday. I know people are going to hate it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it be a package of Jost, Zhuravlyov, and a 1st. Jost gives them an NHL body with a ton of speed/skill that clearly needs a change of scenery. Idk much about Zhuravlyov, but he has pretty decent production in limited minutes as a 19 year old defenseman in the KHL and is touted as a defender that always makes that plays a simple game, but always makes the right play. Beaucage would be another prospect of interest here. The 1st is obvious given what's been reported about a potential deal.

It's not the amazing trade package that everyone is expecting, but it seems like the most realistic package given what Hayes returned.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Increasingly convinced that Strome, Georgy and ADA will be offseason decisions given how much stuff Gorts has to juggle with the UFAs.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Unless Joe is willing to include Newhook as no way he'd even consider Byram, Gorton needs to do what he needs to do to keep Kreider here. It's as simple as that folks as there should be no scenario where Gorton just deals Kreider who is playing the best hockey of his career for 3 months straight now(the Panarin Effect?) and maybe this is the new norm for Kreider with Panarin here, should settle for less than a Newhook.

There are some in here who have said no way Avs would deal us Newhook. Well if they want to win a Cup this year or next, they need to seriously consider it seeing you have to give something to get something. And Newhook plus a 1st is fair return for the very real chance the Avs get out of a very very winnable Western Conference if they brought Kreider into the fold and very possibly win a Cup this year or next as their window isn't more than a few years until all their young studs need to get paid!.

Ironically tho, if we want to win the Cup in the next 5-6 years, we likely need to figure out a way to keep Kreider cause without him, alot of things are going to need to go right for this to happen as Kreider is not going to be an easy guy to replace in our lineup.

We get a Newhook tho, I'd take the gamble that we'd figure out a way to get a Cup withought Kreider. If not, no dice...we resign Kreider and that's that!

They don’t even need to give me a first if they’ll include Newhook.

Reactions: gump116

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Arizona has to be feeling like their season is slipping away. They were only able to muster 14 shots on net tonight in a shutout loss against the Blues. They have been brutal in the last 20 games.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If I was Avs I'd go after Kreider and Fast.
I agree, but I suggested strome bc he would still be a controlled asset and that would fit the theme of joe saying he doesn't want to trade any of his top 3 prospects for just a rental

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
What on gods green earth did i just read? Should we throw in Buchnevich too?
So col wouldn't trade pick 16 at the draft for CK bc they wanted newhook. Newhooks value has to be up from his draft based on his play this season. CK is a ufa in a matter of months. You're going to tell me that we would've deal CK at last draft for newhook but now that we are months from ufa we wouldn't exchange him for newhook while adding strome for a 2nd that could turn into a 1st? Come on...

People that want the earth and the moon are the same ones that complain that gorts overplays his hand at times. We need to be reasonable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad