Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by BBKers, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnee Rangers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I just don't see how they're a playoff team next season after getting rid of everyone you want to get rid of. And you're expecting a lot out of a rookie and a kid who can't even score consistently in the AHL.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    NYRangers0723 likes this.
  2. Kravty Dangles Rebuilding.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    We need to make these roster building threads live threads with the rate we're flying through them.

KirkAlbuquerque and NewLife like this.
  3. EpicDing Mika ZibaneCHAD

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Almost exactly 24 hours on this one, impressive.

I know we can do better though, there hasn't been nearly enough panic yet.

NYRangers16 and Charlie Conway like this.
  4. GoAwayStaal 20 Foot Player Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Ayatollah of Pylons
    I don't think it weakens anything at all.

I'd agree if this were a 2 horse race. It isn't.

5. Vitto79 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Sales
    AVS will get an old ufa back up . Clearly they like Francouz

6. rangers1314 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I can wait until Monday starting around 2pm when it crashes.

NYRangers16 likes this.
  7. BB88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Boston has Palmieri at 1, Kreider at 2.

Backes move clears up space for Palmieri.

8. 17futurecap Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Honestly, if it meant getting a sweetener for Kreider from the Caps, take back Jensen.

He's a guy you can do a lot with in the summer, not making a lot of money, can retain on a trade, and throw in a mid-level pick if you have to.

Also, someone teams can use that have to leave a d-man open for Seattle to choose.

9. Oscar Lindberg Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    If Jeff would throw us a bone and do something minor we’d be going through these threads like hot cakes

EpicDing likes this.
  10. GoAwayStaal 20 Foot Player Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Ayatollah of Pylons
    I think Fast goes between now and tomorrow night.

11. GoAwayStaal 20 Foot Player Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Ayatollah of Pylons
    Even if they do, that doesn't mean that they have to hand out a bad contract.

It's like people want to see whats happening now with our deadweight repeat itself

12. NYRangers0723 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    maybe. I love Fast but he is due for a raise too so I think he is gone

13. rangers1314 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Fast goes Sunday
    CK and a trade of some minor leaguer looking for a "fresh start" (Boo) both get announced at 4 on Monday.

14. mike14 Where's my elephant?

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Come on now, it doesn't get any more minor than Berube...

15. Oscar Lindberg Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Old news brother

16. NYRangers0723 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Dude I was the biggest supporter of the rebuild so I’m not In that camp. I’ve said plenty of times in regards to Kreider that there is a limit. I think 6 years 6.25-6.5 is fair and the maximum I would go. I guess I have much more faith in this team and feel we are further along than anticipated

17. Thirty One Safe is safe.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Counting
    You think it will be that ... swift?

Salvage21, egelband and McRanger like this.
  18. Harbour Dog HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'm guessing Edmonton for a 2nd + Conditional 3rd.

19. mschmidt64 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Who is everyone? I've said Kreider, and then Georgiev (supplanted as starter by Shesterkin, and Lundqvist still available as backup), and Fast (bottom sixer). I said Kakko takes a step forward, and that's not exactly some wild prognostication. All I said from about Kravtsov is that I'd expect he gets a call up. We are close to the playoffs literally right now. I think you're dramatically overestimating what Kreider means to this team. This team is highly driven by Panarin and Zibanejad.

But if we don't make the playoffs, and I'm wrong in that assumption, I'm also saying: So what?

The playoffs are coming with this core, even as is, sooner rather than later. If Kakko, Chytil, and Kravtsov aren't ready to chip in enough next year to make up for Kreider's loss, well, then they will most likely reach that level the following year.

The way more important thing than making the playoffs this year or the year after would be, securing another sure-fire top 6 forward. So if I gamble that the kids are ready next year, and they aren't, well, just add one more year to the estimate. If we aren't contenders in '22-'23 with 21 year old Kakko, then call it contenders in '23-'24 with 22 year old Kakko, etc.

It's not important that this team make the playoffs last year, this year, or next year. It has been proven time and again that rebuilding teams take 2, 3, 4, even 7 years missing the playoffs before they have hit on enough impact players to fuel a rebuild.

So far, we've been wildly successful in trading for players (Fox, Trouba), signing free agents (Panarin), and appearing to hit on draft picks (Chytil, Kravtsov, Kakko, Miller, Lundkvist, Shesterkin) that we are on the cusp of exiting the rebuild already - just TWO years in. If the talent isn't ready next year, it will be soon thereafter, there is no need to worry about an endless rebuild where we waste the primes of these players being Edmonton or Buffalo.

But we DO have to worry about wasting the primes of these players by having "not quite enough to get over the hump." To that end.... well, just read what I've posted. We've only been at this two years. We've completely overhauled the D for now and the future, and we've found another franchise goalie. But what we haven't done is insulate ourselves in top 6 forwards and depth forwards, we are scarily thin in that department. If ANYTHING happened to Chytil, or Kravtsov, or god forbid Kakko, we have a massive weakness with replacing that production. There simply are not enough quality forwards in our system.

I'm willing to sacrifice Kreider and this season to get that one (or two) more pieces to ensure that '21 and '22 and thereafter are all great.

20. JimmyG89 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Here is that Hawks team: 2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Most of their "young guys" were between the ages of 23 and 26. Those are this team's impact VETS. Kane and Toews were 21, and Toews was turning 22. Our younger players are still 2-3 years from being those ages.

We're not in that position yet and it's not because we don't have good young players, it's because these guys are mostly rookies or 2nd year players.

Give me a break with the young guys needing to lead the resurgence at this moment, they're actually getting adjusted to being in the NHL. Toews was in college his D+1 season. Kakko is in the NHL. Our guys are professional players. Kravtsov was in the KHL his D+1 season, a better league than the NCAA. Chytil played in the AHL and got NHL games in his D+1 year, and he did quite well.

Everyone thinking it was going to be the kids running the show are not informed enough on the process of building a team. Kane is an exception to the rule. Kids don't normally come in and do that kind of stuff. Future HOFer and possibly the best US player ever.

It's not the same build as the Hawks. They sucked for years on end, weren't even on TV and they couldn't fill the stands handing out tickets.

Keeping Kreider isn't going to stop those kids from continued development and helping usher in that kind of success, in fact keeping him around can help those guys when it comes to their 1st postseason game and being a successful player in the playoffs. If that is closer that further away, having that is what we need next season and the year after that to let these guys get in those games and understand where they need to go in order to succeed.

21. rangers1314 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I think Philly ponies up. 2021 3rd and Isaac Ratcliffe

22. Pawnee Rangers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    You forgot to mention your "other piece or two" Skjei and Fast. One guy playing with Panarin and Strome and the other is the team's top LD. You keep changing what you're saying, man. You said you expect them to make the playoffs next year and now you're saying you it's not important. I'm gonna tap out of this one. I'm rooting for your plan to come together in another 3-4 years.

23. Fitzy Very Stable Genius

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    It's a big sweetener. I'm not thrilled at the prospect of us paying our 7th defenseman 2.5 million a year for many years.

24. HockeyBasedNYC Deadline Madness

SB Cash:
    $ 199,119
    They traded him yesterday? Where have you been?

25. NYRangers0723 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    There are a lot of things to take into account. If we had a much worse record in the standing then yeah by all means sell off again. But it’s obvious our team is much closer. Hell if Igor was here all season we are in the playoffs right now. Look I wanted to rebuild in 2016 when everybody else wanted to still go for it. I loved what we did in 2018-19 deadlines. I was even prepared to do the same thing this year but things have changed and this team is much ahead of schedule. Also when you lose certain players it’s easier to replace them but others is much tougher. CK is unique is what he brings and is tough to find. Does that mean we should give him what he wants? Of course not but it does show that a Gorton is hesitant to get rid of him otherwise I think he would be gone already. Let’s be honest NOBODY is giving us what we want especially with Boston dropping out. If anything Colorado has even more leverage now to get CK on the cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.