Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I know, but I think the expectation will be to make the playoffs next season. This season we are flirting with it, and that's awesome, but I don't think anyone was, or is now, expecting us to make it. If we do, great. If not, take our pick and hope we hit the lottery.

If we don't make the playoffs next year or the year after, then I think the success of the rebuild has to come into question.

I think if they do not make the playoffs two seasons from now, I would start to question the rebuilds effectiveness.

Next season if they make them that is great, if not it was likely due to injury or due to them having like 17-26M in dead or badly allocated cap space.

Reactions: zephyr

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This has nothing to do with Kreider because in your scenario he's gone and you've replaced him with a player drafted in the top 10.

I'm trading Kreider for assets to move up in this year's draft. I'm also, by doing so, retaining flexibility for future cap moves over keeping a player that I project will eventually (2-3 years into a 7 year deal) be on my third line.

I'm just trying to get a sense of when you think this team is ready for prime-time because Kakko and rookie being 27ish is like 8-9 years away.

Well, assuming the Rangers would do what I'd do (trade Kreider, and probably also Georgiev and maybe another piece or two like Skjei and Fast, but keep Buch and Strome on shorter deals)....

I'd be projecting next year ('20-'21) that they are a playoff team but not a contender, with Chytil and Kakko taking a substantial steps forward (40 points and more consistency overall?), Kravtsov probably warranting a call up to the big club, and Buch, Strome, and the rookie ("unspecified prospect") adding enough, combined with improvements in defense and a full year of Shesterkin.

The following year ('21-'22) it's probably more of the same as Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov and the unspecified prospect remain maturing, Zibanejad and Panarin probably at their peaks, but losses of Staal, Smith, Lundqvist, etc, leave us more talented and without the baggage of those old players, but also low on experience.

But then I would think the following year ('22-'23), when you've got 21 year old Kakko, 22 year old Kravtsov, 23 year old Chytil, 31 year old Panarin, 29 year old Zibanejad, and a D+3 unspecified prospect, plus a defensive core of 24 year old Fox, 29 year old Trouba, 27 year old DeAngelo, probably Miller, Lundkvist, Robertson, up with the club by this point, you have a contending team if not a team that's a favorite to win.

As we move from '22-'23 towards, say, '25-'26, Panarin and Zbad are gonna drop off. At this point, it's pointless to have projected a with literally ANY degree of accuracy a roster composition, but the HOPE would be, you still have a core of 24-25 year old Kakko, 25-26 year old Kravtsov, 26-27 year old Chytil, and this highly drafted unspecified prospect from the 2020 draft that are forming the core of a top-6 that is still lethal, also perhaps supplemented with other players we've drafted since then.

The most important takeaway is, if Kakko is an 80-pointish player, but Chytil and Kravtsov are only like 60 point players, their spots on the top 2 lines are well deserved, but it's not really enough. You still need one more 60-70-80 point player there to likely have a deadly top-6.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Seems like Fast would fall into the actively shopping category as well, though it's weird we haven't heard any specific teams. Though McKenzie said the Rangers would expect a 2nd and maybe a little more.

Probably because of a lower profile even in terms of his own team.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Dreger doesn’t report stuff like that and miss often. That’s gotta be going down soon.

Imagine waiting for Shesterkin all this time only to trade his rights at 24 lol.

brutal for the isles. What are they going to do add Saad to that trash heap? They’re going nowhere with tons of guys on long term deals too

There's a team that is just happy making the playoffs. Yeesh.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Friedman has less sources within the NYR than this board does. They never let him in on anything
Yeah that's what I was gonna say. Any time he talks about the Rangers it's always speculation along the lines of what you'd see from one of us reading the tea leaves and not actual insider info.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Friedman reported Islanders were heavy in on Kreider before everyone else jumped on it.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Most teams that are Cup contenders are led by players that are older than that. How many Cup contending teams are led by a bunch of sub 25 year olds?

The Hawks top players were their young guys. Kane. Toews. Seabrook. Keith. The Hawks had their veteran players too. Sharp was 27-28. Their young guys were the lead dogs on that team. People look at the Hawks and say the playoff experience was good for them. The Hawks had their team in place by 08-09. The team which won the Cup in 09-10 had 17-18 players who played on the 08-09 team. They swapped out Havlat for Hossa in the summer of 09. The Rangers are still a work in progress. The older players are leading the team. Maybe I am still f***ed up in the head but I thought the younger guys would be leading the Rangers resurgence like the Hawks.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So lets say the aforementioned is correct and B's wanted RW over LW. Does that mean everyone else that said Boston was all in on Kreider were all hacks? I mean, literally nearly every source said Boston.

There is no way Kreider wasn't the guy they wanted.

Now, the price, and whether they felt comfortable coming away with nothing at all if they didn't get Kreider...

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm trading Kreider for assets to move up in this year's draft. I'm also, by doing so, retaining flexibility for future cap moves over keeping a player that I project will eventually (2-3 years into a 7 year deal) be on my third line.

Well, assuming the Rangers would do what I'd do (trade Kreider, and probably also Georgiev and maybe another piece or two like Skjei and Fast, but keep Buch and Strome on shorter deals)....

I'd be projecting next year ('20-'21) that they are a playoff team but not a contender, with Chytil and Kakko taking a substantial steps forward (40 points and more consistency overall?), Kravtsov probably warranting a call up to the big club, and Buch, Strome, and the rookie ("unspecified prospect") adding enough, combined with improvements in defense and a full year of Shesterkin.

The following year ('21-'22) it's probably more of the same as Kakko, Chytil, Kravtsov and the unspecified prospect remain maturing, Zibanejad and Panarin probably at their peaks, but losses of Staal, Smith, Lundqvist, etc, leave us more talented and without the baggage of those old players, but also low on experience.

But then I would think the following year ('22-'23), when you've got 21 year old Kakko, 22 year old Kravtsov, 23 year old Chytil, 31 year old Panarin, 29 year old Zibanejad, and a D+3 unspecified prospect, plus a defensive core of 24 year old Fox, 29 year old Trouba, 27 year old DeAngelo, probably Miller, Lundkvist, Robertson, up with the club by this point, you have a contending team if not a team that's a favorite to win.

As we move from '22-'23 towards, say, '25-'26, Panarin and Zbad are gonna drop off. At this point, it's pointless to have projected a with literally ANY degree of accuracy a roster composition, but the HOPE would be, you still have a core of 24-25 year old Kakko, 25-26 year old Kravtsov, 26-27 year old Chytil, and this highly drafted unspecified prospect from the 2020 draft that are forming the core of a top-6 that is still lethal, also perhaps supplemented with other players we've drafted since then.

The most important takeaway is, if Kakko is an 80-pointish player, but Chytil and Kravtsov are only like 60 point players, their spots on the top 2 lines are well deserved, but it's not really enough. You still need one more 60-70-80 point player there to likely have a deadly top-6.

Chytil is the same age as Kravtsov and both Zibanejad and Panarin should still be in their prime. But agree with the overall sentiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->