Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXII: One Thing Leads to Another

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

We know this, but this is the youngest team in the NHL, with more young pieces on the way.

We're at a point where this is really the last year to "sell off" because there is going to be nothing else to sell. Staal, Smith, and Hank are not sells at this point, but natural progression. Kreider is really the last guy that is a "should we sign before we lose him" situation. Fast isn't as consequential since he is really a 3rd line type.

We've sold off nearly every top 6 guy we've had. Stepan, Nash, Brassard, Zuccarello, Hayes, Miller, and to a lesser extent Grabner.

There is nothing else to sell except Kreider. If they extend him, it would be against the norm, but as we are seeing the team is not really trending down anymore. This is a team on the rise. If there is a time where we could keep someone, it is now, but even with that, there are legit reasons to make a move and cash in on one last expiring asset before buying starts, which likely starts as soon as this offseason.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I think the nerves are more about a possible injury.

If they were 20 points out and he was playing? People would have a right to be pissed. The risk reward ratio there just isn't worth it.

6 with a chance to make it 4? They've been rolling to get it this close, sitting him now sends the wrong message.

If they lose, they better sit him on Saturday. Playoffs are still a pipe dream IMO but the team has earned the right to try to play themselves into striking distance. They're not being driven by some fools gold combination of puck luck and hot goal tending, they've legitimately been playing good hockey.
Yeah if we were a bottom feeder I’d understand but we are still in the hunt. Like I said it depends if we can’t resign him by Saturday he probably sits against San Jose. But another win tomorrow really makes things interesting

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

We know this, but this is the youngest team in the NHL, with more young pieces on the way.

We're at a point where this is really the last year to "sell off" because there is going to be nothing else to sell. Staal, Smith, and Hank are not sells at this point, but natural progression. Kreider is really the last guy that is a "should we sign before we lose him" situation. Fast isn't as consequential since he is really a 3rd line type.

We've sold off nearly every top 6 guy we've had. Stepan, Nash, Brassard, Zuccarello, Hayes, Miller, and to a lesser extent Grabner.

There is nothing else to sell except Kreider. If they extend him, it would be against the norm, but as we are seeing the team is not really trending down anymore. This is a team on the rise. If there is a time where we could keep someone, it is now, but even with that, there are legit reasons to make a move and cash in on one last expiring asset before buying starts, which likely starts as soon as this offseason.

I think it's important to remember that their farm system was a joke when this whole rebuild started. They had nothing. Now they're ranked 4th best. You don't have to approach this deadline like you did the previous three if you don't want to.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Cap goes up, some contracts come off salary, various player only on entry level contracts or can be taken to arbitration with market comps.

I am not debating $7x7. Most here know my feeling. But there is a path and if he takes less (less than 7 and in the hood of 6-6.5) and the length is 6 years, that is a deal I would sweeten with a full on NTC.

If it was a year and a difference of half a million a year the deal would have been signed already.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Win tomorrow against CAR and they could be 4 points out of a WC spot depending on what other teams do around them. Then you have SJ which has been bad all year and just lost EK recently.

They are in a good spot to keep moving north. Islanders after SJ. Schedule continues to get challenging from there. They simply will have to beat good team to earn their way. With their progress its certainly possible.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Win tomorrow against CAR and they could be 4 points out of a WC spot depending on what other teams do around them. Then you have SJ which has been bad all year and just lost EK recently.

They are in a good spot to keep moving north. Islanders after SJ. Schedule continues to get challenging from there. They simply will have to beat good team to earn their way. With their progress its certainly possible.

While I agree with your idea that they can possibly be 4 points out by the end of the weekend. Please also take a look at us against the top teams. We have not done well against them.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It’s not just the points Dude. A lot of the things he does doesn’t necessarily translate to points. A good example is Strome’s goal last night where his net presence helped create it. He does that as good as anybody. He speed opens up so much space for his line mates as does his size which many times take 2-3 players to cover him along the boards which opens up space for other players. His defense has improved dramatically. Off the ice he had become a big leader too. I feel he is very under appreciated mainly because he didn’t meet the crazy expectations some people had after the 2012 playoffs

Yes and as he ages most of those tools diminish, speed and physicality for sure and then you are left with what? If you arent concerned that Kreider is having a career year in a contract year then you should be because if it was this Kreider the last 3 or 4 years I'd have no problem giving him more than I'm comfortable with now, but you know, I know, everyone knows he is gonna go back to the inconsistent player he has been his whole career once he gets his money in NY. We went through all this last year with Zuccarello and Hayes, and I wouldn't want either of their contracts now and that's only one year later.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I'm not so sure. Earlier someone pointed out that the difference between 6/6.5 and 7/7 is 10 million dollars - that's a lot of money.

Which is kind of my point. He wants 7x7. But again all we all want is what is best for our rangers and we all have different ideas on how to get the ultimate goal of the cup.

I trust gorton and JD. They got us this far, let's keep the faith that they know what they are doing

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think it's important to remember that their farm system was a joke when this whole rebuild started. They had nothing. Now they're ranked 4th best. You don't have to approach this deadline like you did the previous three if you don't want to.

This is absolutely true, and the biggest difference with these moves from the others is:

Keep Kreider for 7 years and shave some salary off the team, promote more young guys

OR

Trade Kreider, get assets, and see if there is someone on another team that is worth acquiring.

Teams are leaving their windows, some are just mulling in the dreaded middle and want to make moves to shake it up. Is management content with Kreider and not really being fully capable of exploring some of those other external trade options or do they want those extra assets because they have someone in mind to acquire that will be available in the summer and trading Kreider lets them get their target player.

A lot to decide in what amounts to 2-3 days because they need to know going into Monday, at minimum, if Kreider is signed or gone.

Reactions: Salvage21

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
While I agree with your idea that they can possibly be 4 points out by the end of the weekend. Please also take a look at us against the top teams. We have not done well against them.

Yeah it's easy to get wrapped up in their improvement of late (which is legitimate) but it's not like they've been thrashing murderers row.

It's why they'll almost certainly fall short. They have the toughest remaining SOS in the league. Not in the division or the conference, in the league.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Well, yeah of course if you could choose of course you would choose that. How likely is that though? The B prospect or late 1st rounder we get is going to replace Kreider on their ELC?

Banking on that is a recipe for disaster.

Banking on signing a 29 year old 50 point power forward for 7 years is way more risky imo, I'll take the picks and prospects and use them to either select players we want or trade for them. The Keane deal is an ideal example. Turned a 3rd round pick into Gauthier.

Reactions: leetch99

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If you could bet on these things, I would put legitimate money on Kreider dropping off the rest of the season if he gets traded

It’s just who he is as a player. Which is great for us but sucks for the team acquiring him

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
This is absolutely true, and the biggest difference with these moves from the others is:

Keep Kreider for 7 years and shave some salary off the team, promote more young guys

OR

Trade Kreider, get assets, and see if there is someone on another team that is worth acquiring.

Teams are leaving their windows, some are just mulling in the dreaded middle and want to make moves to shake it up. Is management content with Kreider and not really being fully capable of exploring some of those other external trade options or do they want those extra assets because they have someone in mind to acquire that will be available in the summer and trading Kreider lets them get their target player.

A lot to decide in what amounts to 2-3 days because they need to know going into Monday, at minimum, if Kreider is signed or gone.

I think you can make a case for both scenarios. This has been the craziest deadline saga I can remember for one player.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah it's easy to get wrapped up in their improvement of late (which is legitimate) but it's not like they've been thrashing murderers row.

It's why they'll almost certainly fall short. They have the toughest remaining SOS in the league. Not in the division or the conference, in the league.
Ok but that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Even the Boston game we are playing well until that flukey goal kind of took the wind out of our sails but Boston is also such a great defensive team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If you could bet on these things, I would put legitimate money on Kreider dropping off the rest of the season if he gets traded

It’s just who he is as a player. Which is great for us but sucks for the team acquiring him

always feels like rentals struggle some after being traded. Rarely do they just seamlessly integrate into a new team and linemates and crush it

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ok but that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Even the Boston game we are playing well until that flukey goal kind of took the wind out of our sails but Boston is also such a great defensive team.

It's highly improbable.

Who are the best teams we've played since the break? Dallas and Boston?

We lost both of those games.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Probably I fear that Quinn and company still think their chances of playoffs are good. I think win or lose friday they need to sit Kreider for the Sharks game if they are trading him.

Quinn needs to put his ego aside and do whats best for the future of the team, not for himself. We need to sit these guys out instead of hoping to pass a few teams in order to be eliminated in the first round Our chance of a playoff spot is very slim as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad