Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXII : Can we Clarkson Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I'm a big fan of Foligno. He's a very good player and an even better human being.

Foligno loves living in Columbus though, and he signed the extension with the Jackets because that's where he and his family want to be. I just can't see why the Jackets would consider moving him. He really should be their captain.

The Hartnell thing is the more likely scenario. As much as I dislike Kunitz, I've put so much energy and time over the years hating Hartnell. That would take some serious time getting used to :laugh:

Michael8771*

Look 9+ times out of 10, nothing comes of this. But, this speaks to me of JR looking for consensus and informed opinion among his key people as to a potential big move, which is why I think it's at least Hartnell we're talking about . . .
Now this I agree with you on.:)

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Have people watched Hartnell recently or really at all in the past year? Do you all know his contract is $4.75 million and he's signed for another four seasons?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Waffle, only two possibilities to me IF SOMETHING COMES TO FRUITION:

1. It's a Hartnell for Kunitz based deal. Maybe some other small pieces, but that's the crux of the deal. It's a big commitment, and I can see JR wants his key advisers all to see first hand where Hartnell's game is and if it's 2-3 years or not at all that they see the Kunitz style drop off coming.

2. JR is going for it. He loves Foligno. Thinks Foligno and Malkin will be a killer duo for the rest of his tenure and, with Perron-Sid-Horny, basically sets the Pens up for at least a few years. In this scenario, you want to know if your key advisers see the fit being as perfect as you do.

My issue is that I can see the first option from both teams' perspectives.

Scenario two, what gets your attention if you're Jarmo?

Kunitz has to be part of it for cap reasons. Kapanen obviously has to be part of it. But, what ADD gets your attention?

Despres or Dumo? Bennett? Even Harrington?

Maybe the '16 #1 is a part of it?

Any suggestion of a deal that you think JR could live with and would knock Jarmo's socks off?

I think that's where this is headed. And, I do see in this scenario why those four names are going.

Does Hartnell have game and will it mesh with Malkin?

What's the downside (when, if at all, does Hartnell's game slip like Kunitz)?

I don't think we have the pieces for Foligno, not unless we're willing to gut our prospect depth.

But Hartnell, Jenner and Anisimov for Sutter, Bennett and Kunitz is a deal I do 10 out of 10 times.

And maybe find a way to get Skille?

Perron-Sid-Horny
Hartnell-Geno-Comeau
Winnik-Spaling-Anisimov
Skille-Lappy-Downie

But does that work capwise?

Michael8771*

Have people watched Hartnell recently or really at all in the past year? Do you all know his contract is $4.75 million and he's signed for another four seasons?
Yeah, that'd be a bad decision long term. Terrible actually.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I tend to believe it is ordinary actually. As far as their biggest trade targets I think Perron and Winnik fit that description. According to JR anyhow.

Again, who knows what's gonna happen, I'm just not gonna get my hopes up.

Any other time of year, and I'd be a lot more inclined to do that.

And, by the way, even if they are thinking about Hartnell or going for the mega deal, it's still important to remember that even with all of this scouting, things like this do NOT go anywhere further 9+ times out of 10.

Michael, JR is here for another 2 years tops. You think he cares about Hartnell's game falling off when he hits Kunitz's age or Kapanen, the 2016 1st, or any defensive prospect save DP (maybe) where Foligno is concerned?

Again, I'm not here to say yes or no, just to try to join in with the spitballing.

And, again, think about this . . . Fitzgerald and MacKinnon, a few days after Botterill and Clancey, doing an ordinary scouting trip to Columbus within 48 hours of TDL. Does that really add up for you?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Scuderi this season is certainly useful, obviously warts and all. Considering his role and usage it is unrealistic to think management even considers dealing him, and with two vets likely leaving in UFA I dont see him getting traded in the off season either.

If they re-sign Martin.... maybe.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Actually, most of us have said we have not.

What most of us are discussing (and wondering) is WHAT in Columbus would be attracting the attention of 2 AGMs and the directors of scouting and player personnel within 100 hours of the TDL.

Do you have anything to add here? If Hartnell sucks, then what is attracting all of that attention?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

And, by the way, even if they are thinking about Hartnell or going for the mega deal, it's still important to remember that even with all of this scouting, things like this do NOT go anywhere further 9+ times out of 10.

Michael, JR is here for another 2 years tops. You think he cares about Hartnell's game falling off when he hits Kunitz's age or Kapanen, the 2016 1st, or any defensive prospect save DP (maybe) where Foligno is concerned?

Again, I'm not here to say yes or no, just to try to join in with the spitballing.

And, again, think about this . . . Fitzgerald and MacKinnon, a few days after Botterill and Clancey, doing an ordinary scouting trip to Columbus within 48 hours of TDL. Does that really add up for you?

Who did they play when we went scouting?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Who did they play when we went scouting?

Tonight was NJ. Previous game was Montreal.

Scuderi this season is certainly useful, obviously warts and all. Considering his role and usage it is unrealistic to think management even considers dealing him, and with two vets likely leaving in UFA I dont see him getting traded in the off season either.

If they re-sign Martin.... maybe.

TR, what do you make of this? Botterill and Clancey scouting Columbus a few games ago, tonight it's Fitzie and MacKinnon.

1. Nothing out of the ordinary, even within 100 hours of the TDL?

2. Little fish like Atkinson?

3. JR has something big planned, be it Hartnell for Kunitz type or a blockbuster for Folingo that involves selling a lot of futures to secure Folingo on Malkin's LW until he (JR) retires?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like with the long break until tomorrow's game, they just wanted to make sure they did a good job of scouting to see two looks at a team because the points matter and they don't want to mess up with a new look CBJ.

We're likely reading way too much into this.

Michael8771*

Hey, as long as it's a potential deal that helps us, I hope you're right Kirk. It'll spice up the next few days. And since we play them in about 14 hrs, maybe something is completed prior to our 5:07pm puck drop.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Tonight was NJ. Previous game was Montreal.

I don't remember who they played when Botterill was there, but Clancey was there for the game against the Habs and tonight's game was against the Devils.

Well we're definitely not trading with the Habs. NJ...meh, maybe Havlat on the cheap for the 3rd line?

Hey, as long as it's a potential deal that helps us, I hope you're right Kirk. It'll spice up the next few days. And since we play them in about 14 hrs, maybe something is completed prior to our 5:07pm puck drop.

Now that would be something....the debut for them against their own team :laugh:

Michael8771*

I feel like with the long break until tomorrow's game, they just wanted to make sure they did a good job of scouting to see two looks at a team because the points matter and they don't want to mess up with a new look CBJ.

We're likely reading way too much into this.
Here's my take, expect nothing, and if something happens that helps us, get excited. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad