Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXII : Can we Clarkson Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's also an ornery ******* to play against who's produced against every possible playoff opponent this year and has been at his best against the Rangers and Capitals.

Maybe I'm overselling, but I just see Foligno-Malkin-Comeau as a game changer.

That certainly would be and falls in the, that can't even be a possibility and makes no sense for them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I mean, if it weren't the deadline, and he wasn't one of the Jackets top players, I'd say you are. But the circumstances line up for them to make a killing if they trade him.

I still can't fathom why they'd do it. I'd have to think the Pens would have to give up Kapanen and a really, really nice get defensively to make the Foligno to Kunitz downgrade.

That certainly would be and falls in the, that can't even be a possibility and makes no sense for them.

I concur.

Now, if you're Columbus and JR offered Kunitz, Kapanen, Despres, and Harrington for Foligno and Leopold?

So why are we talking about Foligno...why in the hell would CBJ trade him

They wouldn't.

But, it beats talking about Eklund rumors.

And, we're trying to figure out why 2 Pens AGMs, the director of scouting, and the director of player personnel ALL have scouted the Jackets this week (it was Fitzie and MacKinnon tonight).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I remember that. The year Mario came back. The Pens offered Hrdina and Kasparitis, and Phoenix wanted Kraft instead of Hrdina, yes? :laugh:

Oh man...

That's why I laugh when people want to give up on BB. You can tell a lot of people never suffered through the lean years.

From about their first month in the NHL, I knew guys like Kraft and Beech were never going to be good NHLers. It was so ****ing depressing watching them every game. I was literally in a depression for a week the first time I saw Beech play.

BB has flashed so much more skill and hockey IQ than those two ever had... and Pens fans had to suffer through over 400 combined NHL games of those two puttering around the ice.

BB is a menace to society compared to how soft and unskilled (NHL wise) those two were.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Foligno had 18 goals in 70 games last year. So barring a massive slump, he likely would have surpassed 20 goals if he'd played the entire year. He also had a 47 point season his last year in Ottawa.

So while I'd agree he's a bit of a risk in terms of a bonafide top line winger, I think he's shown even before this year he can be at least a solid 2nd line winger who also brings a physical game.

Generally though if you play with Malkin your stats will increase so not much risk really and as you mentioned that physicality he brings

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still can't fathom why they'd do it. I'd have to think the Pens would have to give up Kapanen and a really, really nice get defensively to make the Foligno to Kunitz downgrade.

I concur.

Now, if you're Columbus and JR offered Kunitz, Kapanen, Despres, and Harrington for Foligno and Leopold?

Maybe if a part was the 2016 first instead.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
Foligno would be a major win for us, but I also like the idea of Hartnell. Though, there is the chance that he could have an issue with the uniform, (as in, the uniform would likely catch fire the second they put his name on it.)

Also, if we were to get Hartnell, I think we should have him play at least 2-3 shifts each game on a line with Lapierre and Downie, just to **** with the other teams top lines. If we could throw Despres and Bortuzzo in as well, it would be the most hated line in the NHL. ;)

I have always wondered what it would look like to have 5 (unplanned) fights break out at the same time. :sarcasm:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
And, we're trying to figure out why 2 Pens AGMs, the director of scouting, and the director of player personnel ALL have scouted the Jackets this week (it was Fitzie and MacKinnon tonight).

You don't send those type of scouts and AGMs and that many of them unless you are looking for something big. They must be looking for a collective Yes/No on something they're looking for or were offered in a deal. Atkinson, maybe? But why would you send everyone just to see him? He's a decent player but not special. TestTube? You already know what you have in him and he's not going to garner that much interest from a team to send all those guys. Hartnell? It's possible but still a lot of guys to send just for him. Foligno? Why would CBJ trade him unless Jarmo really wants KK and knows he has to knock the Pens socks off to get him. Wiz? Salary doesn't fit and we don't need a D like him. Anisimov? Pens seem really irritated with Sutter's game recently with JR making multiple comments about how much the Pens miss Staal. Anisimov just came back from injury and could be a reason why so many different people are checking him out to see if they think he can help for a playoff run. I dunno.

Lots of possibilities. If something does go down with CBJ, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a few guys going each way in a 2 for 2 or 2 for 3 type deal.

Arityker

Apr 1, 2013
A little off topic, but how freaking glad are you that GMJR traded for Perron way back in January? Vermette just went for a 1st + a prospect, while we got Perron for a little less despite him having an extra year left on his deal

Michael8771*

Where the Hell is this Foligno or Hartnell stuff coming from? Or are we just spit-balling in hopes of making monday more exciting?

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Good thought on Anisimov. CBJ might have a thing for Sutter given the way he played against them last year.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Where the Hell is this Foligno or Hartnell stuff coming from? Or are we just spit-balling in hopes of making monday more exciting?

That's what happening when the Pens aren't playing in forever. People need to talk about anything. Wait few pages and we will be back to Adams hate. It's the same thing all over again until JR strikes... or not. :sarcasm:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

Probably because the Pens have sent everyone except Mario to scout CBJ in multiple games recently. It's not the norm for teams to send the amount and type of management the Pens have sent unless they were exploring a big deal.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
********. The Pens wouldn't give a **** about sending all that brass to scout a team just because of proximity. Maybe if they were fighting with them for a playoff spot they'd send a ton of scouts but not AGMs and heads of player development.

No one agrees with me...but there's just as good of a chance they were there to watch the Sabres and Devils

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014
A little off topic, but how freaking glad are you that GMJR traded for Perron way back in January? Vermette just went for a 1st + a prospect, while we got Perron for a little less despite him having an extra year left on his deal

Vermette is also comparable to Sutter....I'm thinking now his value may be higher than we think it is.

Michael8771*

********. The Pens wouldn't give a **** about sending all that brass to scout a team just because of proximity. Maybe if they were fighting with them for a playoff spot they'd send a ton of scouts but not AGMs and heads of player development.
I don't know, I won't say say we will or won't make another deal with CBJ, but sending our AGM doesn't mean anything. As stated in that article we usually send scouts or personnel to check out games there because of the close proximity.

That's what happening when the Pens aren't playing in forever. People need to talk about anything. Wait few pages and we will be back to Adams hate. It's the same thing all over again until JR strikes... or not. :sarcasm:
True

Probably because the Pens have sent everyone except Mario to scout CBJ in multiple games recently. It's not the norm for teams to send the amount and type of management the Pens have sent unless they were exploring a big deal.
Yeah, but again I don't think that necessarily means much as described in that article. It could, but we'll see.

Spit balling i think, .not sure where it started...
P.S. is Boone Jenner currently healthy?
Yeah, kinda what I thought. Haven't heard much from anyone who might be in the know.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My gut tells me they're looking at Wisniewski or Jack Johnson. Both can run a PP and one is Sid's best buddy. Leaning towards Wis cuz he's a righty which they need and he's being rumored to be shopped.

Don't forget that JR was willing to move money off the roster to land Franson.

I don't think JR and MJ are comfortable with 1)Letang running the PP and 2)that Pouliot will be able to run one in the playoffs his rookie year.

This is me just guessing of course. Or maybe they're the eastern team in on Yandle? Who knows.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Hartnell's contract is complete trash. He's 32; he's played a physically rigorous game and has never been a good skater. He's already slowing down and only going to get worse. Picture Kunitz with more physicality but worse skating.

He's signed an additional 4 years (through 2018-19) for $4.75 million. Kunitz at least only has $3.85 million cap hit and is only signed two more years after this one.

Kunitz > Hartnell

I also don't see anyway CBJ that struggles with offense trades N Foligno unless for huge overpayment - Bennett + KK + Despres + high pick neighborhood.

To be honest, outside of a few pieces that CBJ won't trade (Jenner, Johansen) I don't really see anything that the Pens should be interested in enough to send in higher management. The bigger contracts - JJ, Wiz - aren't good enough players, and the decent players - Atkinson, Letestu - have small contracts that shouldn't need that much oversight.

I really hope its not Wiz or Jack Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad