Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXII : Can we Clarkson Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I don't want Poo in the top 4 next year. Harrington either. I'd be happy to have them as a 3rd pair but not in the top 4. They're fine if we want to be an average NHL team, but if we want a cup we need someone else at Martin/Ehrhoff's level in the top 4 with Despres.

We could let the young D play for a while but leave a little cap space to pick up someone up if necessary.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Yeah it really depends on Beau having an amazing off season bulking up and being mentally ready because his problems are mental right now sadly.

How I see it...

Vacant, Crosby, Hornqvist
Perron, Malkin, Bennett
Kunitz, Sutter, Rust
Vacant, Vacant, Vacant

Maatta, Letang
Pouliot, Despres
Vacant/Dumoulin, Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vacant/Zatkoff

I would think kasperi kapanen makes the team next season

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Where would he play if we don't move Sutter? Or would Sutter get bumped down?

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Winnik-Vermette-Dowie
Spalling-Sutter-Lapierre

I would run

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Vermette-Malkin-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Winnik
Spaling-Lapierre-Downie

Vermette takes the face-offs for Geno so you can play that line on face-offs in all situations.

Michael8771*

Where would he play if we don't move Sutter? Or would Sutter get bumped down?

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Winnik-Vermette-Dowie
Spalling-Sutter-Lapierre
That'd be a problem we'd want, or we subsequently could trade Sutter in another deal.:)

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I would run

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Vermette-Malkin-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Winnik
Spaling-Lapierre-Downie

Vermette takes the face-offs for Geno so you can play that line on face-offs in all situations.

That looks good too, and I like relieving Geno of face-offs (how good is Vermetter in the dot?) but you just know Geno will end full time on the wing in that scenario :laugh:

That'd be a problem we'd want, or we subsequently could trade Sutter in another deal.:)

Oh very true, I'd rather be swamped in depth, especially because there's no way Adams finds his way onto the ice during the playoffs!

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
That looks good too, and I like relieving Geno of face-offs (how good is Vermetter in the dot?) but you just know Geno will end full time on the wing in that scenario :laugh:

Oh very true, I'd rather be swamped in depth, especially because there's no way Adams finds his way onto the ice during the playoffs!

Consistently 56-57% over the last 4 years. Yeah he's alright :)

http://faceoffs.net/player/antoine-vermette

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Vermette is one of the top 10 guys in the league on face-offs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The more I think about it, if no other acquisition is made, I could see Winnik moving up with Malkin at some point.

Kunitz isn't finishing and doesn't bring a whole lot else to the table. Plus, who thought Comeau would be having the year he's had. All it takes is a guy taking advantage of the opportunity.

Winnik's played with scoring line talent in the past. Malkin's proven that he doesn't need polished offensive players to dominate. I think Winnik could be a good fit from a possession standpoint. Just have to see if he gels with how Malkin likes to play.

Decent fallback option if Kunitz is toast.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think Kunitz gets traded before he drops out of the top six. I don't think either will happen, but this team has some weird obsession with not offending Kunitz. He's been a garbage hockey player for years, but he's never lost his spot alongside Sid or Geno, and he's been a staple on the top PP unit despite showing time and again he's a hindrance to it's success. It's like Kunitz has diplomatic immunity on this team or something. They're terrified to offend him or hold him accountable. Makes me wonder what kind of guy he is in the room.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
How isn't he noticeable? Because he's not throwing bone crunching hits? Being flashy with the puck? The guy does a lot of good things that aren't "sexy" to the fans because it's not something they get excited about.

Spaling is the intelligent hockey fan's fav.

He's the type of player you want gone, then you see him on another team and he does well and you blame that team having a better coaching staff, when really, he's been that good and people are just morons.

I agree with this. Maybe it's just me but It seems like to me he's more improved from the start of the season or at least seems adjusted.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I think Kunitz gets traded before he drops out of the top six. I don't think either will happen, but this team has some weird obsession with not offending Kunitz. He's been a garbage hockey player for years, but he's never lost his spot alongside Sid or Geno, and he's been a staple on the top PP unit despite showing time and again he's a hindrance to it's success. It's like Kunitz has diplomatic immunity on this team or something. They're terrified to offend him or hold him accountable. Makes me wonder what kind of guy he is in the room.

Almost a .5 GPG for the previous 2 seasons. A 35 goal year and an Olympic Gold medal last year. Not exactly garbage. Yeah he's gone downhill since the Olympics but he has been a really good player for us in past years.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Almost a .5 GPG for the previous 2 seasons. A 35 goal year and an Olympic Gold medal last year. Not exactly garbage. Yeah he's gone downhill since the Olympics but he has been a really good player for us in past years.

Yeah I get that it's fashionable to hate Kunitz a lot but some of this stuff is so transparently over-the-top "I saw it first" trash. Garbage players don't produce like he did.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
We must add more size and hitting to improve our chances. Winner (Winnik) is a start. Would love one more forward and one more d that play a big MEAN game. Move Kunitz sutter spalling and a d prospect.

Last night was a nice win but another scary reality check. Big rough teams are absolutely going to tee off on us. What I wouldn't have given to have lucic last night. Or anyone with the brawn to man up to ov or Wilson.

Skill may get us through a round or two. But say 10 playoff games like last nights game into the post season....I promise it doesn't work out. That skill needs space and security to win out.

good news is aside from the caps Bruins and islanders the paths aren't too bad. If philly gets in, it's a bigger chance for pain. Thank god cbj is on the outside.

More good news, that first period last night showed this team can play a physical game. Re watch and take note of finished checks leading to turnovers and space for our skill to flourish. Bad news, it's not many of our player's forte. It didn't last, and the caps mix of size speed and terrible calls got them back in it. Sounds familiarly like playoffs the last few years. Even when we win, there's a tremendous toll taken.

More battle readiness please JR

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
they dont need to "clarkson" him. He's actually been quite good recently

For a bottom pairing guy I agree, I wouldn't just give him away. In fact, considering our inexperience back there I'd be reluctant to move him at all unless there is someone substantially better to take his place.

I don't get it either. I mean, ideally you don't want a D that mono-dimensional making $3 million and change, but Scuderi has performed at the level you want from a third pairing guy since...might be as far back as November. He doesn't lose us games.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What happened to Rich Peverley? Had that heart issue (was it?) and has been out ever since. He was pretty decent middle-six center.

Note that I'm not in favor of "Clarkson-ing" Scuderi. I'd like him off the team but not like that.

Pevs wasn't a decent 3C, he was a pretty awesome one, in my opinion.

I think his ship's sailed and he's going to collect the rest of his money from LTIR. I mean, if I was his family, there's no way I would want him going back to a job he basically died at when he gets paid whether he goes back or not.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
I think the win last nigth was great and it all but it really showed how small we are against bigger stronger opposition. Our 4th line is a bunch of Vanilla midgets - We could kill for someone like Ryan Reeves or Dwight King or anyone who finishes their checks hard. Makes me miss Mike Rupp and Asham and Co - everytime they came on the ice you knew the boards were gonna rattle.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know. Deadlines have been pretty lame as of late. We get the same ********. GMs saying prices are too high. GMs then paying that high price. It's a lame day if you ask me. I also cannot remember a FA trade that made the team win the Cup. I would say Hossa going to Pittsburgh was one of the biggest moves that led Pittsburgh to the Finals, but not to the Cup.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the win last nigth was great and it all but it really showed how small we are against bigger stronger opposition. Our 4th line is a bunch of Vanilla midgets - We could kill for someone like Ryan Reeves or Dwight King or anyone who finishes their checks hard. Makes me miss Mike Rupp and Asham and Co - everytime they came on the ice you knew the boards were gonna rattle.

Either of those guys taking over Craig ****ing Adams would be INSANE. That would set Downie/Lappy off to do their thing.

People will say Oh Craig Adams isn't so bad... but he's seriously one of the biggest anchors to us having a great bottom 6. That and Sutter's disappearing acts for 2/3 of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad