Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXII : Can we Clarkson Scuderi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Crap, I was under the impression that it was more

If Duper goes on LTIR then it's like 17 million and they've got 4 of their top 6 filled out plus Sutter, Spaling and Kunitz for the bottom 6. So it's 2 top 6 wingers and a 4th line.

With 5 D signed (Letang, Despres, Scuds, Pouliot and Maatta) you only need to fill one spot there.

It's not ideal, but if they are shrewd, they can field a pretty solid forward group and run with younger guys on D.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Spaling:

7c79db65d9dc6f4e6721c47ee7b64958.png

Sutter:

ca13c86a40c5bb58cd1436a068f549cd.png

Winnik:

7784541260d837369226872adf0c9ab1.png

You can certainly spend 5.5M for 2 better players and ESPECIALLY Sutter who will probably be looking for close to 5M after next year.

I can deal with Spaling @ 2.2M for now and since he's only 26.

Winnik, for what he brings is worth Spaling's 2.2M quite easily. Only thing with him is, i wouldn't want to give him any long term deal since he'll be turning 30 in March.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Duper goes on LTIR then it's like 17 million and they've got 4 of their top 6 filled out plus Sutter, Spaling and Kunitz for the bottom 6. So it's 2 top 6 wingers and a 4th line.

With 5 D signed (Letang, Despres, Scuds, Pouliot and Maatta) you only need to fill one spot there.

It's not ideal, but if they are shrewd, they can field a pretty solid forward group and run with younger guys on D.

Yeah it really depends on Beau having an amazing off season bulking up and being mentally ready because his problems are mental right now sadly.

How I see it...

Vacant, Crosby, Hornqvist
Perron, Malkin, Bennett
Kunitz, Sutter, Rust
Vacant, Vacant, Vacant

Maatta, Letang
Pouliot, Despres
Vacant/Dumoulin, Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vacant/Zatkoff

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Spaling:

7c79db65d9dc6f4e6721c47ee7b64958.png

Sutter:

ca13c86a40c5bb58cd1436a068f549cd.png

Winnik:

7784541260d837369226872adf0c9ab1.png

You can certainly spend 5.5M for 2 better players and ESPECIALLY Sutter who will probably be looking for close to 5M after next year.

I can deal with Spaling @ 2.2M for now and since he's only 26.

Winnik, for what he brings is worth Spaling's 2.2M quite easily.

Out of the UFA's...I really would love to keep Comeau, Lapierre, and Winnik if he fits in well. Then it's just a matter of if Downie is a guy the team feels they need.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Yeah it really depends on Beau having an amazing off season bulking up and being mentally ready because his problems are mental right now sadly.

How I see it...

Perron, Malkin, Bennett
Kunitz, Sutter, Rust
Vacant, Vacant, Vacant

Maatta, Letang
Pouliot, Despres

Fleury
Vacant/Zatkoff

Agreed, if Beau survives the deadline, which I think he will, a lot of what they decide to do will hinge on how whats left of this year plays out for him combined with his offseason.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Out of the UFA's...I really would love to keep Comeau, Lapierre, and Winnik if he fits in well. Then it's just a matter of if Downie is a guy the team feels they need.

I feel the same way.

Also with Sundqvist, i really think he can play here next year and that would make Spaling usless here imo. Sundqvist can play any wing and C and PK and he'll be better than Spaling at it for better than half the price. Thats sort of where i'm going with using Spaling in any deal in the summer. He's easily replaceable with a guy like Sundqvist.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think we do need Downie. His PIM's are an issue, but a main reason they are the issue is because he is really the only guy who isn't a chicken **** when other teams try to bully us. You're going to rack up PIM's when you're constantly the only one defending your teammates.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Anyone else out there like Horton with a big uninsured contract that we could acquire for Scuderi?

What happened to Rich Peverley? Had that heart issue (was it?) and has been out ever since. He was pretty decent middle-six center.

Note that I'm not in favor of "Clarkson-ing" Scuderi. I'd like him off the team but not like that.

Michael8771*

Arcobello scores again, 13 goals for someone nobody seemingly wanted.

Michael8771*

they dont need to "clarkson" him. He's actually been quite good recently
For a bottom pairing guy I agree, I wouldn't just give him away. In fact, considering our inexperience back there I'd be reluctant to move him at all unless there is someone substantially better to take his place.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd look to move Sutter in the summer and re-signing Winnik(if he does well here which i believe he will).

Winnik-Sundqvist-Whoever

Really gives you a true shutdown 3rd line with size that hasn't been seen here since Staal was around and even then Staal was the only big guy on the line. Winnik is 6'2 210-213pds, Sundqvist is 6'3 207-209pds.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
they dont need to "clarkson" him. He's actually been quite good recently

As long as they let Martin and Ehrhoff walk without bringing in a big money vet I'm okay keeping Scuderi as the token vet to teach the young-ins how to stay on the right side of the puck.

I think Maatta, Despres, Pouliot, and Harrington are more than capable of playing 2-5 behind Letang, but asking Letang to be the only voice of experience if things start to look shaky is a bit much.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd look to move Sutter in the summer and re-signing Winnik(if he does well here which i believe he will).

Winnik-Sundqvist-Whoever

Really gives you a true shutdown 3rd line with size that hasn't been seen here since Staal was around and even then Staal was the only big guy on the line. Winnik is 6'2 210-213pds, Sundqvist is 6'3 207-209pds.

I don't know the intricacies of Sundqvist's development, but if he's ready, I'd love to have that line next season. This team is lacking size and grit in droves. I wouldn't say they're soft, but they just don't match up. Wilson really drove that point home last night with the way he was running around and punishing guys.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

How I see it...

Perron, Malkin, Bennett
Kunitz, Sutter, Rust
Vacant, Vacant, Vacant

Maatta, Letang
Pouliot, Despres

Fleury
Vacant/Zatkoff

I have a lot of issues with that lineup. A lot. A lot, a lot.

I think we do need Downie. His PIM's are an issue, but a main reason they are the issue is because he is really the only guy who isn't a chicken **** when other teams try to bully us. You're going to rack up PIM's when you're constantly the only one defending your teammates.

I've really enjoyed having him this season. He's exactly what we've been missing since Cooke left. At 1.0mil, he's a no brainer. My hope is that no one else really wants him due to those issues and we can pick him up for $1-1.5mil. Exactly the kind of guy we need in the bottom 6.

The Downie-Sutter-Bennett line was really good. When given the chance to succeed, I believe he's done whats been expected of him.

Arcobello scores again, 13 goals for someone nobody seemingly wanted.

But thank the good lord we still have Adams and his 1 goal.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't want Poo in the top 4 next year. Harrington either. I'd be happy to have them as a 3rd pair but not in the top 4. They're fine if we want to be an average NHL team, but if we want a cup we need someone else at Martin/Ehrhoff's level in the top 4 with Despres.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
As long as they let Martin and Ehrhoff walk without bringing in a big money vet I'm okay keeping Scuderi as the token vet to teach the young-ins how to stay on the right side of the puck.

I think Maatta, Despres, Pouliot, and Harrington are more than capable of playing 2-5 behind Letang, but asking Letang to be the only voice of experience if things start to look shaky is a bit much.

Guarantee JR signs at least one vet defenseman this offseason. Probably Sekera because of familiarity, but could be someone like Petry. I just don't think he would ever go into the season with only 2 "vets", even though Despres and Maatta have plenty of NHL experience and proven abilities to handle themselves.

I expect the following next season:

Maatta - Letang
Despres - UFA VET
Scuderi - Pouliot
Bortuzzo

Dumo is maybe traded or packaged in a trade.

Not saying that's what I want. But it's certainly what I think JR would likely do.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
But thank the good lord we still have Adams and his 1 goal.

Adams is a doo-doo casserole with a side of butt salad, but Arcobello is scoring because he's in a scoring line role. He'd still be wholly ineffective here if we swapped Adams out for Arcobello.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Just had a sudden fear that we may package Bennett to get Vermette.

If we can keep him for 5mil or less and flip Sutter for someone useful there are worse outcomes given this organization's track record with young forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad