Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXI: Insert Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Nothing, but my gripe is with the idea that Hank can/should be bought out.
I personally think trading Georgiev is the better move, but the idea that Lundqvist can't be bought out loses me. When you sign a contract that pays you that much as that you approach 40, you're aware it might not end ceremoniously.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
There are a few LHDs entering free agency who may be worth extending offers to. if there is a market for a Skjei-Forward swap, having someone like TVR or Brenden Dillon at a lower cap-hit could alleviate the loss of what little depth there is on the Left-side.
That is of course assuming that there is a reasonable market for depth defenders this summer.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I see people still talking about moving hank and I just don't understand why'd we get rid of Hank instead of Georgiev. A tandem of Georgiev and Igor is not sustainable and all were doing is prolonging being having to make the same choice we are trying to make rn. With a Hank and Igor the succession path is pretty clear, a year of hank as a backup with Igor completely taking over after Hanks contract expires after next year. Also in a Georgiev trade we can actually get good assets to improve the roster or more high draft picks which can help further the process, while in a Hank trade due to his age and contract we will probably get next to nothing. Third, in terms of saving money getting rid of Hank does not do much. In a trade theres good chance in we will have to retain salary. A buyout is even worse, sure we save 3 million in cap on the first year but you'd have to imagine Georgiev will make at least that much as a rfa. The smartest thing to do is just let his contract run out alongside Staal and Smith which will give us over 18 million to work with in 2021-2022.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If faced with the choices of (a) earning $8 million to stay in NY and sit on the bench for 70 games next season or (b) earning $2-3 million in the city of your choice with a realistic opportunity to be the starter, I'm not sure Henrik says no to option b. It's going to be next to impossible for him at his age to rev up the engine again two seasons from now after sitting idle for so long. That's not how a 40 year old body works. That's why I think mutual contract termination (and not a buyout) is still a possibility this offseason. The Rangers could say "look, we're not interested in any cap penalties, you can sit here or try to start somewhere else and that's the bottom line."

Last edited:

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
That's why I think mutual contract termination (and not a buyout) is still a possibility this offseason."

Forgive my ignorance, but is this allowed under the CBA? Smells like cap circumvention to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I personally think trading Georgiev is the better move, but the idea that Lundqvist can't be bought out loses me. When you sign a contract that pays you that much as that you approach 40, you're aware it might not end ceremoniously.

This.

No matter how this ends, I think "Lundqvist sits on the bench with an $8.5M cap hit" is least likely. He has a right to want to do that. The Rangers have a right to buy him out.

What's slightly heartbreaking is I think what we're seeing right now is there's really no market for Lundqvist and his cap hit. A Ray Bourque-esque ride into the sunset seems really unlikely. It's up to the team and the player to make this prickly situation as painless as possible.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If faced with the choices of (a) earning $8 million to stay in NY and sit on the bench for 70 games next season or (b) earning $2-3 million in the city of your choice with a realistic opportunity to be the starter, I'm not sure Henrik says no to option b. It's going to be next to impossible for him at his age to rev up the engine again two seasons from now after sitting idle for so long. That's not how a 40 year old body works. That's why I think mutual contract termination (and not a buyout) is still a possibility this offseason. The Rangers could say "look, we're not interesting in any cap penalties, you can sit here or try to start somewhere else and that's the bottom line."
I'd take option A.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I see people still talking about moving hank and I just don't understand why'd we get rid of Hank instead of Georgiev. A tandem of Georgiev and Igor is not sustainable and all were doing is prolonging being having to make the same choice we are trying to make rn. With a Hank and Igor the succession path is pretty clear, a year of hank as a backup with Igor completely taking over after Hanks contract expires after next year. Also in a Georgiev trade we can actually get good assets to improve the roster or more high draft picks which can help further the process, while in a Hank trade due to his age and contract we will probably get next to nothing. Third, in terms of saving money getting rid of Hank does not do much. In a trade theres good chance in we will have to retain salary. A buyout is even worse, sure we save 3 million in cap on the first year but you'd have to imagine Georgiev will make at least that much as a rfa. The smartest thing to do is just let his contract run out alongside Staal and Smith which will give us over 18 million to work with in 2021-2022.

It’s pretty simple.

1) The two best goalies on the team right now are Igor and Alex.

2) Both young goalies are cost controlled for multiple years.

3) Trading or buying out Hank helps us retain or offer long term deals to the right group of players (Kreider?, DeAngelo, Strome, Fast). Getting those deals right will allow more flexibility to sign Chytil, Fox, and Kakko long term in the future.

4) This team plans to contend the next two seasons and doesn’t need to make a decision on either goalie until then. Both project to be more valuable after two established seasons.

5) Wall and Huska are both trending toward being capable backups when the time comes to move Georgiev.

6) Plenty of contending teams in recent years have rolled with two goalies

Unless there is a great return for Georgiev, sustainability is not a concern. Keeping him is clearly best short and long term decision for the team over the alternative. The Rangers brass is showing that they know this with their recent starter decisions.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Forgive my ignorance, but is this allowed under the CBA? Smells like cap circumvention to me.
Kovalchuk just did it. It's not circumvention because the player actually isn't getting paid (which is why I think it would never happen in this case).

Reactions: Lua

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I would consider adding Hajek to Buchnevich or Strome as a sweetener if it meant getting a more highly regarded LD in the 22-25 age range that is established in the NHL. Gives the acquiring team a potential replacement on the left side either next year or the following. But it has to be a LD that is worthy because I am not just giving Hajek away.

Then you go and flip Skjei for a forward to replace what you lost up front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad