Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXX: Cue Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If I'm the GM, Newhook, Kyrou and/or Studnika/DeBrusk starts a conversation. mid-tier prospects do not.

$7M is more than fair for Kreider. Stop lumping him in with Staal and Girardi.

He'd also would earn that money come playoff time.
For 7 million/season, I like to hope that a player will try to earn it all season.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I agree with you tho for some reason which I'm not complaining about, he has been a point a game for the last 28 games which is something he never has been for this sustained amount of time.

Is it possible the addition of Panarin just makes everyone in the top 6 better whether it be opposing teams top checking lines aren't focused on the line Kreider is on as well as with Panarin on top PP unit with Kreider, it's automatically that much better and hence more points for Kreider.

I dunno the answer but the Kreider who we have seen the past 2 1/2 months has been the best Kreider any of us have ever seen and if it's the Panarin effect which trickles thru the entire lineup, it really makes it tough to want to let him go.

I don’t “want” Kreider to go but I do want the team chasing one or two more 18-20 year old top 6 players to grow with Kakko and Kravtsov and form a long term competitive core. I also want the cap flexibility to add pieces we may need later. In essence, the exact same arguments people made against Panarin last off-season, except im applying them to a 40-50 point player who will end up a third liner way before his contract ends, instead of a 70-80 point player (now looking like a 100 point player) who most likely will remain a top 6 player till 35 even in comparison to Kakko, etc.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Blues need to do something soon or they won't be repeating this post-season. Bruins and a few others have overtaken them in the standings. Their GA is higher than they can sustain. Allen is better this season than last, but it not an elite goaltender and never will be. Binnington caught a tiger by the tail last season, but he isnt elite either. Their defense isnt the problem and I don't see them shaking up their goaltending. They did that once going into the playoffs with Ryan Miller and it bit them hard in the ass. So they will address their forward depth. Cant do better than Kreider and Fast.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
you just listed 5 players. There's no competition. None of those players offer what Kreider brings to the table.
Kravtsov has done nothing this year to show he's a 'shoo in' for the NHL, let alone the top6.
Kakko has a while to get to where he should be.

Even then,
Kreider Zibs Kakko
Panarin Chytil Kravtsov

what's the problem?

Because I clearly said “plus the players we will acquire.” We have high draft picks and prospect assets aplenty on defense that will probably be traded for forwards at some point.

Your roster works for next year. Maybe the year after. Not so much after that.

And for all the people saying “it’s not a sure thing that Kravtsov becomes a top 6 player,” well, it’s also not a sure a thing that Kreider remains a top 6 player.

Which is more likely? That seems to be the main point of disagreement. I think it’s more likely that Kravtsov becomes a top 6 player within 2-3-4 years than Kreider remains one. Or at least remains better than Kravtsov for that long. I think the chances of that are pretty unlikely.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
What else is coming along with Studnicka and Backes' contract?
Like, say we choose between

1st + Heinen + Frederic

or

1st + Heinen + Studnicka + Backes

So, we upgrade from Frederic to Studnicka for taking Backes

If no, then at what % retained of Backes would be a yes (if at all)?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Also it’s not Kreider Vs Kravstov.

It’s Kreider + the 7 mill for 7? and possible NMC vs Kravstov or whom ever on an ELC.

If Kreider isn’t accepting 7 over 5, he has to be moved.

Reactions: mschmidt64

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I still like Athanasiou as a good match for this team moving forward.

Move some of the chess pieces around. I wish Hajek was further along. Moving Skjei for Trocheck would be easier to swallow.

Maybe Strome+ for a D.

Skjei for Trocheck

Fast for 2nd round pick + conditional 3rd

Prospect + Draft pick for Athanasiou

Kreider extended

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Trocheck
Athanasiou-Howden-Kakko
Lemieux-McKegg-DiGui

xxxx-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal-DeAngelo

Can you create a package for Brodin based around Strome+?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I’m not sure how much speed really makes that much a difference. Yes, he has a few goals due to speed but his goals are a lot more like Adam Graves IMO. He deflects, gets rebound and is dished the puck. I think he’s more productive b/c of the surrounding cast.

Might be difficult to replace yet not nearly impossible IMO.

I’m picturing a Johan Franzen-like career for Kreider. Which means i see about four more years after this one, maybe, of 50-ish point production on a “unique” skill set. Note: unique does not mean irreplaceable, it just means style wise a different player would bring different strengths to the table and the team would have to play differently without Kreider but not necessarily worse.

But that player is like the definition of what I’d picture as a plus third liner on a top team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Observing the prospects camp in Stamford that’s what I noticed. So many of the kids are just that; kids who have fill out and get stronger.

Kraskov is a little kid with acne lol.
Miller is a tall drink of water

Fox was better built with Lundkvist a more narrow version yet there is an age difference. Lundkvist did move and pass a lot like Fox though so that’s exciting

Kakko was a bigger guy yet, just looking at his face, he’s not a man yet. The man power is coming. Still kinda thin.

The Man child however was Morgan Barron. He’s build more linebacker. I’m very intrigued by Barron as he’s a bit under the radar.

In training camp Kravtsov was skinny as all get out. It was the same with Buch a few years ago and he was getting knocked on his ass and hurt a lot. Now he's quite a bit stronger. Chytil's got a build--he wasn't really a problem other than he's had to learn how to use his size and strength but it was there as an 18 year old and he's going to get stronger too. I think with Miller there may be some of that but it's really more about learning his position better because if you don't learn your position well then you're really not going to (to use a tired euphemism of coaches these days) 'play the right way'. Kakko is kind of going through what Buchnevich did as a rookie. Constantly knocked off his feet--trying to figure out how to play physically in the NHL. He's got a much better build now as an 18 year old than Buch did as a 21/22 year old though. Fox and Lindgren are smaller more compact bodies. It takes more time sometimes for the taller skinnier guys.

To me Barron is kind of like--is he the next Anders Lee or is he something a bit less?--and I expect we'll find out but I think there's an NHL player there.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I still like Athanasiou as a good match for this team moving forward.

Move some of the chess pieces around. I wish Hajek was further along. Moving Skjei for Trocheck would be easier to swallow.

Maybe Strome+ for a D.

Skjei for Trocheck

Fast for 2nd round pick + conditional 3rd

Prospect + Draft pick for Athanasiou

Kreider extended

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Trocheck
Athanasiou-Howden-Kakko
Lemieux-McKegg-DiGui

xxxx-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Staal-DeAngelo

Can you create a package for Brodin based around Strome+?

You would still have the same problems.

top heavy forwards, and the left side of the D still sucks.

Brodin would get more hate than Skjei.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
People have been asking when the Rangers are gonna bench players out of injury risk with the TDL looming

Well, Igor is still sore... and Georgiev gets the start

Reactions: mschmidt64

Tossed Medal

Jan 23, 2020
A top 6 wings of Panarin , Kaako , Buch , and kravtsov is as soft as baby crap . Can’t win on pure skill alone . None of those players are hard on the forecheck or have any net front presence . Can you say perpetual rebuild .

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Lol you really think Kreider will be here still next Monday night? That’s cute.

Prepare yourself to be disappointed.

No, I don’t. But sitting him after you just won 4 in a row and are picking up ground on the teams ahead of you sends a terrible, terrible message to such a young team.

Reactions: RGY

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Here is about my limit for Kreider. 6.5 a year for 6 years. Full NMC for the first 4 years, limited NTC the final 2. If they can't make this happen before the deadline it would be crazy not to trade him and try and come back with that offer come free agency.

Can't risk losing him for nothing.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Fine for the Rangers but I see no reason why Kreider would be willing to tack on an extra year for just $1 million, this is not his last contract. It would only make sense for Kreider if the Rangers promise to buy out his last year when the time comes but that would probably lead to cap circumvention penalties.

Yes you are right , one mill is likely not enough. But my point is that after a seven year contract, he likely wont get a big contract. Maybe not a contract at all. Spezza took a league minimum to play for the Leafs this year. So the extra year is a guaranteed payment for Kreider. But maybe a bit low with 1 mill. Maybe an extra mill. ?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You would still have the same problems.

top heavy forwards, and the left side of the D still sucks.

Brodin would get more hate than Skjei.
Okay so maybe it isn’t Brodin then. I am not 100% sold on him anyways.

They have the assets to get the LD they want. I also think their defense is starting to come together. They have 4 of the 6 figured out for the foreseeable future until one of the kids pushes their way through. Staal needs to be replaced. Skjei moved for a forward then replaced. You get a top LD in a package. Move or buyout Staal. Replace with a vet for a year two such as Dillon.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
They are big boys. I’m sure they will get over it.
The thing is they aren’t big boys. They are still very immature and are being groomed into the type of players that can be successful at this level. You can be all for trading Kreider thats fine, but you are dead wrong if you think scratching him while the team is hot and winning wont have a negative message for the youth of this team. Winning is the ultimate priority. That standard has to be established early and often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad