Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXX: Cue Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
It never has and never will be about what Kreider is today. It's about whether or not he fits our timeline. And if he was as good as people think he is, it would be more likely he'd still be a top-6 contributor in 3-5 years.

I've been waiting 8 years for Kreider to turn into that consistent player people see in him. It still hasn't happened. Oh, and we probably shouldn't ask players what to do. I am 99% sure Mats Zuccarello would have advocated in favor of keeping Brassard in 2016 instead of trading him for Zibanejad and a 2nd round pick

How do you know he still won’t be a top 6 contributor in 3-5 years? I’d say it’s more likely he’ll still be in the top 6 and your boys Lias and Vitaly won’t. And if you don’t think he makes Zib and Buch better even when he’s not scoring there’s no hope for you.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How do you know he still won’t be a top 6 contributor in 3-5 years? I’d say it’s more likely he’ll still be in the top 6 and your boys Lias and Vitaly won’t. And if you don’t think he makes Zib and Buch better even when he’s not scoring there’s no hope for you.
I really like @Amazing Kreiderman and his input around here but there is certainly a bias with a couple guys for him... we all have it though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Because historically, players like Kreider don't age well after 30. I would gladly sign him for 4 years, but anything beyond that is just going to hurt us. This has nothing to do with Lias Andersson or Vitali Kravtsov, but everything with how you build a team. Giving a 29-year old power forward a 7-year extension for 8-9% of the cap is a disaster waiting to happen.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Because historically, players like Kreider don't age well after 30. I would gladly sign him for 4 years, but anything beyond that is just going to hurt us. This has nothing to do with Lias Andersson or Vitali Kravtsov, but everything with how you build a team. Giving a 29-year old power forward a 7-year extension for 8-9% of the cap is a disaster waiting to happen.

How many of those power forwards rank #1 in scoring in front of the net?

Will 20 lose a step on his world class speed? Maybe. He’s going to be a very effective player regardless.

And this chemistry...do not underestimate it for a second.

As long as he accept something between 6 and 7 per, you keep him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It’s time to ask if the rapid development of players like Fox, Sherstykin, Lindgren and Chytil may be causing management to rethink their timeline. The Rangers may not make the playoffs this year but that will sure as hell be the expectation next year.
The Rangers are actually going by what I thought their timeline was going to be thus far. Challenge for a spot next season and the year after that expect to make the playoffs and win at least a round.

They're better this year than I thought they'd be, and that's the good news. The bad news is the players that I would expect to spear head that effort haven't been the ones to do so.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

So is hanging all of the teams hopes on prospects and draft picks. I know what they have in Kreider - his speed, his size, his net front presence, his work ethic, and his leadership. He’ll still be a useful part of the team at 35. Good teams figure out a way to keep their best players.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The Rangers are actually going by what I thought their timeline was going to be thus far. Challenge for a spot next season and the year after that expect to make the playoffs and win at least a round.

They're better this year than I thought they'd be, and that's the good news. The bad news is the players that I would expect to spear head that effort haven't been the ones to do so.

They’re challenging for a spot this year. 7 points back with 25 games to play and games in hand. Maybe they’ll make it, maybe they won’t but you can’t say they’re not in the hunt.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Not nearly more likely in years 4-5 (but shouldn’t we be talking years 4-7?). Easily more money on Kakko and Kravtsov at 22-23 through 25-26 vs Kreider at 32-35.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Not nearly more likely in years 4-5 (but shouldn’t we be talking years 4-7?). Easily more money on Kakko and Kravtsov at 22-23 through 25-26 vs Kreider at 32-35.

I’d be more comfortable with your assessment if Kravtsov were playing better in Hartford. Kakko better be the teams top RW in 3 years. But there’s room for all of these guys. What’s wrong with:

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Buch/Kravtsov

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’d be more comfortable with your assessment if Kravtsov were playing better in Hartford. Kakko better be the teams top RW in 3 years. But there’s room for all of these guys. What’s wrong with:

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Buch/Kravtsov

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it other than that Kreider wants 7 years and there’s a big risk he’d be becoming a detriment to the team in years 4,5,6 and 7 at $7m price tag.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

You can't measure the likelihood that any individual will decline or at what point they will. What happened with other players has no bearing on Kreider. It doesn't inform the decision on any level. So all that remains is whether a player of Kreider's caliber is worth the risk for this team at the moment. Certainly, it was easier to make the argument that Panarin was in the off-season because of his skill level. I think it's an obvious thing to say the lower the skill level, the bigger the risk.

Personally, I waffle back and forth on this one.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It’s time to ask if the rapid development of players like Fox, Sherstykin, Lindgren and Chytil may be causing management to rethink their timeline. The Rangers may not make the playoffs this year but that will sure as hell be the expectation next year.

Been saying the same thing, Bob, and it’s why I’m becoming more entrenched in the idea that keeping Kreider for the next 4-5 years is more important to the success of this team, than the potential assets they would get back in a trade.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it other than that Kreider wants 7 years and there’s a big risk he’d be becoming a detriment to the team in years 4,5,6 and 7 at $7m price tag.

His camp has revealed what his asking price is?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I disagree. They should be a playoff team next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So is hanging all of the teams hopes on prospects and draft picks. I know what they have in Kreider - his speed, his size, his net front presence, his work ethic, and his leadership. He’ll still be a useful part of the team at 35. Good teams figure out a way to keep their best players.

Don't worry. Zibanejad, Panarin, Fox and Shestyorkin aren't going anywhere

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

Years 4 and 5, I’m not concerned. 6 and 7 is legitimate. But 6 years is a long time from now. I’d like to see them compete when Panarin is still dominant. He’ll be almost the same age as Kreider in years 6 and 7.

Reactions: eco's bones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@True Blue , possibly but I haven’t seen evidence that Gorton would discount quantitative considerations for, if you will, “sentimental” ones. IMO Kreider is extended if he gives Shattenkirk’s size discount and how likely that would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad