Speculation: Roster building thread XXIII: Heading into doldrum days and All Star break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I am still not convinced Henrik isn’t starting tomorrow. It’s just crazy they’d suit him that long. And the Isles will be on fire too.

I'm sorry my friend tho you have a point about Hank sitting for this long(he needs to get used to it tho if he want's to stay here...lol) but with Georgie officially "Islander Kryptonite" as he's 4-1 career wise vs Isles with an insane save % and equally ridiculous GAA which I'm too lazy too look up but trust me it's phenomenal not too mention Georgie just beat them twice in the past week , there is no way on gods green earth that he doesn't get the start tonight.

Agreed that the Islanders will be very determined and seeking revenge for sure but Georgie has got to be between the pipes and just maybe we have the Islanders number as they have had a very difficult time dealing with our speed. We'll see how it plays out but I'd be beyond shocked if Hank gets the nod and not Georgie!!

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm sorry my friend tho you have a point about Hank sitting for this long(he needs to get used to it tho if he want's to stay here...lol) but with Georgie officially "Islander Kryptonite" as he's 4-1 career wise vs Isles with an insane save % and equally ridiculous GAA which I'm too lazy too look up but trust me it's phenomenal not too mention Georgie just beat them twice in the past week , there is no way on gods green earth that he doesn't get the start tonight.

Agreed that the Islanders will be very determined and seeking revenge for sure but Georgie has got to be between the pipes and just maybe we have the Islanders number as they have had a very difficult time dealing with our speed. We'll see how it plays out but I'd be beyond shocked if Hank gets the nod and not Georgie!!
I’ll admit I’m thinking a bit cynically. And of course if Georgiev plays and wins again - though one game shouldn’t be such a big deal - the trade chatter becomes a feeding frenzy.
Maybe I’m thinking like a bruised and battered fan, but I’ve got to think there’s next to no way the rangers win this no matter who’s in goal. Thus a perfect time to play Henrik. At least until the trade deadline I’d be sheltering the youngsters - and any players on the block - as much as possible.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Trading Burakovsky doEsnt really makes Colorado better. They want to upgrade their existing top 6

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Avs will not trade roster players like Zadarov or Burakovsky for Kreider. They want to add not subtract to their roster for their playoff run. Nor will they trade any of their top prospects like Newhook or Byram. They will trade a piece they can spare off their main roster (like Jost) and/or #5 or so prospect along with their 1st, if the market is as hit for Kreider as was stated.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Avs will not trade roster players like Zadarov or Burakovsky for Kreider. They want to add not subtract to their roster for their playoff run. Nor will they trade any of their top prospects like Newhook or Byram. They will trade a piece they can spare off their main roster (like Jost) and/or #5 or so prospect along with their 1st, if the market is as hit for Kreider as was stated.

#1 pick in 2020, Jost and a conditional pick in 2021. If the Avs re-sign Kreider or Avs reach the WCF, the Rangers get a 2nd in 2021.

Jost had a really good game yesterday against the Red Wings.

The Avs tried to sign Panarin last summer. They still have the money and the need for a LW. Maybe Kreider's stay in Colorado won't be 2-3 months.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm thinking the Flyers would be looking for a forward. They've lost two guys they thought they would have all season in Patrick and Lindblom.

Their 3rd and 4th lines are not that strong having Frost and Farabee in the AHL.

With AV at the helm, I'm thinking Jesper Fast is the guy they would target.

I don't think the Rangers want a middling pick for a player like that. They could be getting someone who is stuck in their AHL system. Someone mentioned Twarynski, another is Vorobyev.

I could see either in a deal for Fast.

Rather take my chances with a pick than a struggling AHL'er.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Swedish kid, born in Austria, to Russian parents. Not a bad player, but I prefer a prospect and doubt Colorado will give up a roster player for a rental. That's, at best, a lateral move

Burra's dad, Robert Burakovsky, is a real cult player in Swedish hockey. Like I think his 57 pts in 37 games in the SHL in 1990 is the 2nd highest pts/game rate ever in the SHL (they only played like 40 games so its not a shortened season). Scored more than prime Håkan Loob. DESPITE that he basically NEVER played for the Swedish National Team because he was seen like the biggest diva in Swedish Hockey. Sulking on the ice, not backchecking, stopped playing if he didn't get a pass, glided to the bench, it was an art form for "Burra". Actually played for the Senators during their 1st year.

Its pretty funny, Robert Burakovsky actually played until 2018 before hanging them up as a 51 (!!!) y/o. Div 3 in Sweden isn't good, but its not beer league quality either. Its a lot of small city teams with higher ambitions that only can muster a core of maybe 7-8 "prime" players and round out the roster with a handful of pre college aged kids (up to 18) and some has beens. He had 9 pts in 2 games as a 50 y/o in that league. Man if I knew he played there, I would have bought tickets and traveled to see him play, such a character. Amazing hand-eye coordination, RHS slapper. I wouldn't at all be surprised if I heard like an old coach label Robert as a top 3-5 biggest talents ever in Swedish hockey. Was the work ethic there? Lol, if they ever set up a coach for a Make my Day episode were a star player intentionally -- tried -- to play as obnoxious has he could for the coach, I wonder if that star player could have come close to displaying the antics Robert did at time.

I am not sure if his son has inherited that extreme talent from his dad. He is more about speed.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
#1 pick in 2020, Jost and a conditional pick in 2021. If the Avs re-sign Kreider or Avs reach the WCF, the Rangers get a 2nd in 2021.

Jost had a really good game yesterday against the Red Wings.

The Avs tried to sign Panarin last summer. They still have the money and the need for a LW. Maybe Kreider's stay in Colorado won't be 2-3 months.
Been over this before, but Jost would be a lousy asset to pick up in a Kreider trade. He is the exact player that the Rangers should not be targeting. No position, no role, no consistency, I think there is an injury history. Not enough points to stay in top six. Not enough defense/jam for bottom six. He is a nothing burger.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Been over this before, but Jost would be a lousy asset to pick up in a Kreider trade. He is the exact player that the Rangers should not be targeting. No position, no role, no consistency, I think there is an injury history. Not enough points to stay in top six. Not enough defense/jam for bottom six. He is a nothing burger.

Given how stiff the market is, I am sure it’s not easy.

But should it really be impossible to find a taker for Jost and receive a better fit for us that way? Like wouldn’t Minny trade Greenway for Jost? EDM Pulju for Jost?

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I still don't think Sakic even considers that as it would be too many moving parts. If Colorado is going to make a move, it would be simply bringing in a Kreider alone and that's about it.

They don't need much as like I said, they are loaded and ready to make a Cup run. Kreider would help them alot especially because they are going to have to get past the Blues and probably the Stars in order to get out of the West.
I don’t see sakic paying a good price for anybody. Yzerman’s counterpart.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Need to capitalize God.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don’t see sakic paying a good price for anybody. Yzerman’s counterpart.
You would be surprised. They were recently in a free fall. As the playoffs inch closer, the pressure will start to increase on Joe. No one is going to do him any favors and he isn't in the same position he was when he traded Duchene to where he can wait everyone out. The market is limited for what he needs and he isn't the only GM of a team that could use a guy like Kreider.

Sakic is a HOF player, a cup winner and now his ego wants a cup as GM to really cement him among the all time greats.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers aren’t getting Byram or Newhook. They also aren’t getting Burakovsky.

Agreed, but I don't think a 1st + Jost is enough. I want one more piece. It won't be another player off their roster and it won't be Byram or Newhook.

Maybe someone like Bowers would make sense though. Maybe we send Lias the other way.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Lets dispel the notion that Georgiev is a back up. He isn't. As much as you may want to call him a back up to justify your feelings of not giving up much for a goaltender, it just isn't true. He is 23 and has taken an increased workload this season, playing more games than Lundqvist.

On a team with a horrible defensive structure and routinely ices Marc Staal for large amounts of minutes, he still has a .913 save %.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd like the Rangers to get back their own 2nd, it's likely to be earlier than any other 2nd which may be available. Would also give them their own 2nd back should the offer sheet game come about, as rare as I think that scenario is.

Julien Gauthier, RW, I think is also an interesting prospect. He is about as on the cusp of the NHL as one can get. While I do not necessarily see a top 6, it's possible, he has size and some knack for scoring at least AHL goals.

Canes 1st, Rangers own 2nd back, Gauthier would be a package I'd be interested in. As far as what would go back, or what else the Rangers may have to take to make the cap work better, to each their own I guess.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Have to agree, he leaves me lukewarm. The question, however, becomes: who CAN you get? The hope is that to generate a bidding war for Kreider; but if they can’t, Jost + pick(s) may be the best the team can do, and at the end of the day, they need to take the best deal on the table.

Need a hotter market than last year to do better. Hopefully, St. Louis’s victory inspires teams to loosen up and go back towards the TDL prices of 2+ years ago.

Reactions: jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad