Speculation: Roster building thread XXIII: Heading into doldrum days and All Star break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Have to agree, he leaves me lukewarm. The question, however, becomes: who CAN you get? The hope is that to generate a bidding war for Kreider; but if they can’t, Jost + pick(s) may be the best the team can do. Need a hotter market than last year to do better. Hopefully, St. Louis’s victory inspires teams to loosen up and go back towards the TDL prices of 3-5 years ago.
I doubt Jost is the best that they can get. Just because Sakic (rightfully) won’t give a Newhook, Byram, etc; doesn’t mean we need to do Colorado a favor. If the Avs think Jost isn’t a part of a cup contending team, why should the Rangers?

Get a guy that you at least have a plan for. A designated role. You probably aren’t going to get a like for like skill set in a Kreider deal, but you need to get a piece that you are going know how to deploy. The Rangers don’t need a lot, but they need to find the right pieces to fit their new core. Needs to make sense

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Given how stiff the market is, I am sure it’s not easy.

But should it really be impossible to find a taker for Jost and receive a better fit for us that way? Like wouldn’t Minny trade Greenway for Jost? EDM Pulju for Jost?
Let Colorado deal with it. If I am getting an asset to spin I want draft capital, not a player like Jost. You can spin the extra pick. The trade deadline is not for over a month. The market isn’t “stiff” it hasn’t developed yet. Kreider is the best rental asset on the market, and will continue to be unless he gets hurt.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

You wouldn’t want someone like that on our team? An average player isn’t near best in the league in any category, which he undoubtedly is. He’s a superb skater as well & great character who’s a lockerroom favorite everywhere he goes. I think he’d be a great piece to balance out our undersized offensive-minded blueline.

A young defenseman of high draft pedigree who can skate and is one of the best hitters in the league and a 1st is a pretty fair return for Kreider. I’d much rather have that than a 1st & a prospect who’s not likely to pan out or a 2nd. If what we’re returning in this deal is a dman, we’re drafting a forward with that pick and seeking forwards through our other moves. We have a lot of D prospects sure but it’s still our worst position on our roster

1) I really dont give two shits if he is one of the hardest hitters in the league. I mean Trouba is too yet you shit all over him every single day. Its quite laughable right now that you are posting a youtube clip of Zadorov’s hardest hits.
2) High draft pedigree? That is supposed to mean something? Lias Andersson says hello.

He is AVERAGE. Nothing spectacular. He is 24 years old, soon to be 25. It would be his 3rd team since his being drafted “high”. The Rangers need forward depth. They are fine on defense. They stockpiled defenseman. And they are moving out a key piece in their top 6 forward group. No the return wont be an immediate top 6 replacement but you have to at least get a forward back even if it is a prospect or someone who has boom potential playing on the 3rd line

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I am actually more interested in Greenway or Julien Gauthier than I am in Jost.

Not so much because I think any of them is necessarily better than the others, more I think the first two would be in addition to a 1st, maybe even with a smaller plus, where as with Jost, I think that may turn into him as the primary asset, with like a 2nd or something added.

I'm more of a fan of the deals where there are many avenues that could turn into success than I am of any deal where the primary asset coming back is probably the only one who has any chance of making it turn out to be a good deal in hindsight.

Deals like, #7 pick and ADA, 1st and Lemieux, 1st and Lindgren (even with the cap dumps coming back), stuff like that where even if one or the other asset misses the other(s) still has a chance.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
1) I really dont give two ****s if he is one of the hardest hitters in the league. I mean Trouba is too yet you **** all over him every single day. Its quite laughable right now that you are posting a youtube clip of Zadorov’s hardest hits.
2) High draft pedigree? That is supposed to mean something? Lias Andersson says hello.

He is AVERAGE. Nothing spectacular. He is 24 years old, soon to be 25. It would be his 3rd team since his being drafted “high”. The Rangers need forward depth. They are fine on defense. They stockpiled defenseman. And they are moving out a key piece in their top 6 forward group. No the return wont be an immediate top 6 replacement but you have to at least get a forward back even if it is a prospect or someone who has boom potential playing on the 3rd line

I don't mind Zadorov necessarily but IMO he's best suited as a 3rd pairing LD or a replacement for Staal--and what happens to Staal then? He's an average skater with little offense. He has a nice physical game. Basically an average player. His cap hit is too high IMO.

If he's the main piece coming back for Kreider that's a bad deal by us. IMO having Zadorov while it doesn't necessarily make us a worse team it doesn't really make us better. He's also a player who gets pushed out as soon as the Miller's, Rykov's, Robertson's and Jones' are ready to compete for NHL jobs. LD is not really a need.

Reactions: RGY

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Lets dispel the notion that Georgiev is a back up. He isn't. As much as you may want to call him a back up to justify your feelings of not giving up much for a goaltender, it just isn't true. He is 23 and has taken an increased workload this season, playing more games than Lundqvist.

On a team with a horrible defensive structure and routinely ices Marc Staal for large amounts of minutes, he still has a .913 save %.
Lmao. I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Just goes to show you what happens when you have multiple tabs open and aren't paying attention.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I am actually more interested in Greenway or Julien Gauthier than I am in Jost.

Not so much because I think any of them is necessarily better than the others, more I think the first two would be in addition to a 1st, maybe even with a smaller plus, where as with Jost, I think that may turn into him as the primary asset, with like a 2nd or something added.

I'm more of a fan of the deals where there are many avenues that could turn into success than I am of any deal where the primary asset coming back is probably the only one who has any chance of making it turn out to be a good deal in hindsight.

Deals like, #7 pick and ADA, 1st and Lemieux, 1st and Lindgren (even with the cap dumps coming back), stuff like that where even if one or the other asset misses the other(s) still has a chance.

I think Gauthier is far and away the most intriguing. He’s big, fast, uses his size and is lighting up the AHL. He could definitely end up being a solid top six guy in his own right, and if not one who plays top six anyway because of how his skill set fits next to more skilled guys and creates space. He’s my #1 target.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Obviously in the minority, but I like Jost. He's never found his game in Colorado but if he had then of course he'd never be available for a rental and this board would be screaming even more about not getting Newhook because he's the next Jost.

For a team whose best center and top-scoring defenseman are both cast-offs from other organizations, folks are awfully reluctant to take a chance on players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The way I look at this is kind of f*** Joe Sakic. If he wants the best rental forward available because he thinks his team has a real opportunity to go all the way then let him pay for it. If the Rangers are moving Kreider we should get the best possible deal and there are other teams besides the Avalanche.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I doubt Jost is the best that they can get. Just because Sakic (rightfully) won’t give a Newhook, Byram, etc; doesn’t mean we need to do Colorado a favor. If the Avs think Jost isn’t a part of a cup contending team, why should the Rangers?

Get a guy that you at least have a plan for. A designated role. You probably aren’t going to get a like for like skill set in a Kreider deal, but you need to get a piece that you are going know how to deploy. The Rangers don’t need a lot, but they need to find the right pieces to fit their new core. Needs to make sense

I don't agree with the bolded being a fair way of discussing Jost. Just because he isn't considered part of a cup contending team now for Colorado's window, doesn't mean he can't be one in the future for when our time comes.

That being said, I am pretty neutral on Jost. I think it's possible that something like Jost and a 1st is the best offer on the table and I wouldn't be disappointed on that return, but I would prefer to see them land a better prospect/young guy and drop the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad