Speculation: Roster building thread XXIII: Heading into doldrum days and All Star break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Cool, I don't play chess. And I get the sense you don't play hockey.

I played when I was younger.

I fail to see what that has to do with committing a lot of money and term to a player who’s going to start his natural regression with the retirement contract you have in mind.

Kreider is replaceable. As was Zucc. Staal and Girardi were replaceable too, but your mindset seems to be on par with Glen Sathers.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Responding to last thread

I like Kreider, always have. Yet, if Kreider is as great as some believe, IMO the Rangers would have made him a Captain already and wouldn’t be flirting with this expiring contract. In a trade, the return on Kreider should be significant if he’s that good.

IMO, without Panerin this offense is ordinary and the poll is even more in favor of trading him than it already is.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I played when I was younger.

I fail to see what that has to do with committing a lot of money and term to a player who’s going to start his natural regression with the retirement contract you have in mind.

Kreider is replaceable. As was Zucc. Staal and Girardi were replaceable too, but your mindset seems to be on par with Glen Sathers.

I guess where we differ is, I don't think he's as replaceable as you think and trading him without a suitable replacement makes this team much, much worse next year. They're back to being a one line team with two good centers and not enough wings to contribute. Need more than Panarin and Kakko.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
To points in the previous thread-

In the hypothetical where the 3 goalie system works, they really have to find a calendar schedule so that they can send Shesty down to play AHL games during his breaks. It's unfortunate that Georgy isnt still waiver exempt so that they could do the same for him.

Buchnevich is probably going to end the season with around 40 points again. Not everyone is either a first liner or a defensive forward. The decision to keep or not keep him should have to do with factors unrelated to his Eli Manning impersonations on the bench.

The Rangers love Kreider, and we see this, but they loved Zucc too. Team has to be smart about this and make it a business decision.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The challenge with caps is that teams can't just toggle them off when shit gets inconvenient and they face uncomfortable decisions.

It would be great if we could just keep everyone we have and then add to them with some deft maneuvering. But everything is inter-connected.

So, you go out and you finally get a superstar LW in Panarin, but that makes keeping your former first line LW (and third best forward) more challenging.

You could move your LD and go with a very young, and somewhat unspectacular core of LDs, but does that make you better overall? Eh, not really sure about that.

You can trade Buch, but trading him isn't really the issue. It's what you get back for him. So if you need to move him for salary room, that's different than trading him for, say, a less skilled, but similarly priced power forward. Because as result of other moves, that's not going to work financially. So now you're trading Buch for a prospect on the cusp, maybe a pick, and neither of those are going to be as good as the pick/prospect you weren't interested in had you moved Kreider.

So we end up with a different looking team for sure, but not one that strikes me as a "better" team per se.

Reactions: Cag29 and leetch99

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I guess where we differ is, I don't think he's as replaceable as you think and trading him without a suitable replacement makes this team much, much worse next year. They're a one line team with two good centers and not enough wings to contribute.

You’re probably right about next season and I understand your stance here. I’m more concerned with the big picture though.

I have a lot of concerns tying up close to 50m for our 2LW until 2027 when we’re going to have a plethora of contracts due for their raises.

Reactions: Rongomania

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
What I want to know from the trade Kreider people is, who's his replacement? I don't want theories, speculations, "this trade doesn't happen in a vacuum" or "they'll make other moves." Who is the guy? Is it the player they take at 28 with the pick they get for him? Or the B prospect? Is it Frederic or Gauthier? An impending UFA? A change of scenery guy? Name names.

Kreider scored 28 goals last year, only 58 players scored 28 or more. There's over 600 players in the league. That's less than 2 per team. Add in his play in front of the net. How many other guys play that way? How many goals has Kreider caused just by screening the goalie, that he doesn't get credit for on the stat sheet? He leads the league in deflections over the last three years. Who's the guy that's just as big and also one of the fastest players in the league? Can anyone name one guy that does what Kreider does and can reasonably be obtained by the Rangers in the next two seasons? Anyone?

This team needs more Kreiders, not less.

You can say that all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that that isn’t how roster moves are made. They don’t happen in a vacuum. Other moves are made. Teams don’t only trade expiring UFAs when there is an internal answer ready to step in. The fact that there isn’t a Kreider replacement on deck isn’t a reason that you don’t trade Kreider (his age, contract demands, current growth cycle of the team are). If that were true, you can say the same of anyone. People want to trade Skjei. Whose the replacement? It ain’t Hajek. Rykov hasn’t played an NHL game yet. Miller is still 2 years from even breaking in the bottom four, let alone taking on 20+ minutes. If you move Buch who steps up to provide 45+ points on the wing? Kravstov hasn’t proven anything yet. Kakko needs to take a big step. Everything you’re saying sounds great in principle.

The principle of respecting what Kreider brings and wondering where that replacement comes from is perfectly fine. Being turned off by the uncertainty in whether or not an adequate replacement is brought in is fine. Requiring that the true and logical answers to that question are off limits because they don’t provide written in stone names makes it more of an “I dare you to argue against keeping Kreider” rather than truly wanting to discuss how he is replaced. Because it doesn’t happen in a vacuum and other moves are made. Every year, by every team. That’s how roster turnover goes.

If you want a specific name? We should be targeting Julian Gauthier. Even if it means we’re getting Gauthier and a 3rd or we’re throwing in Lias or adding Georgiev (maybe they want McKegg back since he did well for them in the playoffs). Julian Gauthier would replace Chris Kreider.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

I like Kreider, always have. Yet, if Kreider is as great as some believe, IMO the Rangers would have made him a Captain already and wouldn’t be flirting with this expiring contract. In a trade, the return on Kreider should be significant if he’s that good.

IMO, without Panerin this offense is ordinary and the poll is even more in favor of trading him than it already is.
The factor that he’s engaged and playing makes this worse. If he would have started well but coasting for the last 20 games, there would be a a little less panic.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

His offense is about as steady as your going to find on the club. Prior to Panarin he was doing the same thing.

The difference with Panarin here, is the club now has 2 legitimate lines. Tougher for clubs to counter that.

Reactions: Cag29 and RGY

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I guess where we differ is, I don't think he's as replaceable as you think and trading him without a suitable replacement makes this team much, much worse next year. They're back to being a one line team with two good centers and not enough wings to contribute. Need more than Panarin and Kakko.

Respectfully, this isn’t a playoff team with Kreider so how much worse can it get? And if at 28 years old he still hasn’t been named the Captain with his tenure do the Rangers think as highly of him as you and other do?

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You’re probably right about next season and I understand your stance here. I’m more concerned with the big picture though.

I have a lot of concerns tying up close to 50m for our 2LW until 2027 when we’re going to have a plethora of contracts due for their raises.

I don't care where they spend their money, I care how they spend it. If two or your best players play wing, so be it. I understand the need to plan for the future but it shouldn't come at the cost of keeping your best players. There's tons of money coming off the books in the next few years.

Reactions: egelband

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
You can say that all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that that isn’t how roster moves are made. They don’t happen in a vacuum. Other moves are made. Teams don’t only trade expiring UFAs when there is an internal answer ready to step in. The fact that there isn’t a Kreider replacement on deck isn’t a reason that you don’t trade Kreider (his age, contract demands, current growth cycle of the team are). If that were true, you can say the same of anyone. People want to trade Skjei. Whose the replacement? It ain’t Hajek. Rykov hasn’t played an NHL game yet. Miller is still 2 years from even breaking in the bottom four, let alone taking on 20+ minutes. If you move Buch who steps up to provide 45+ points on the wing? Kravstov hasn’t proven anything yet. Kakko needs to take a big step. Everything you’re saying sounds great in principle.

The principle of respecting what Kreider brings and wondering where that replacement comes from is perfectly fine. Being turned off by the uncertainty in whether or not an adequate replacement is brought in is fine. Requiring that the true and logical answers to that question are off limits because they don’t provide written in stone names makes it more of an “I dare you to argue against keeping Kreider” rather than truly wanting to discuss how he is replaced. Because it doesn’t happen in a vacuum and other moves are made. Every year, by every team. That’s how roster turnover goes.

If you want a specific name? We should be targeting Julian Gauthier. Even if it means we’re getting Gauthier and a 3rd or we’re throwing in Lias or adding Georgiev (maybe they want McKegg back since he did well for them in the playoffs). Julian Gauthier would replace Chris Kreider.

A kid who's played 5 NHL games?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Good call, this is a name I mentioned a few months ago. There is interest there for sure. Let’s see what happens The next 39 days (until Feb 25 at 15:00). Lots of opportunities. Deals will likely take place as late as possible due to many presumptive contenders being cash strapped. Retainment will be a way of securing more assets in a very special TDL scenario.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Respectfully, this isn’t a playoff team with Kreider so how much worse can it get? And if at 28 years old he still hasn’t been named the Captain with his tenure do the Rangers think as highly of him as you and other do?

They didn't name Zib captain either, so by that logic they don't think highly of him? Who cares about who gets named captain?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
A name I heard brought up yesterday was Andreas Athanasiou. Likely something built around Lias SilverMan and another asset.
As long as Athansiou is not the return for Georgiev or Buchnevich, I am fine with this.

Love Athansiou and Mantha. Bertuzzi too. For Lias and say a draft pick or B prospect im all for it. These guys are still young, around 25 years old. Detroit might not be ready to compete for another 3 years. They would provide much needed depth to this team.

Edit: Also Athansiou AND Mantha have been on IR.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So a player’s importance or standing with the team is determined by them being named Captain or not...

sheesh...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The thing with the argument that we traded Zucc, Hayes, Nash, McDonagh, etc so we might as well trade Kreider too is that those were all needed things because at those times we desperately needed young assets that we got in return.

At this point, there's a legitimate question as to what this organization needs more between more young assets/picks and established veteran top 6 forwards who provide leadership and stability.

Without Kreider and with Strome and Fast in question, the only experienced players in the entire forward group are Panarin who has been in NY a year, Mika, and Buchnevich who doesn't really seem to be a leader by any means. At some point you have to ask yourself if you're teetering on the edge of an Oilers type tear down where you tear down too deep, try to backfill leadership with UFA retread who have no experience in your organization, and you end up with a bunch of talented kids trying to swim in the deep end all alone.

There is nobody to replace Kreider either from an on-ice perspective or from a leadership perspective. People saying Kakko can replace Kreider on ice are really reducing both guys down. Both are big guys who play some kind of power forward game, but Kakko isn't a net front player like Kreider is and even though his skating will definitely improve, he'll almost certainly never have Kreider's speed to push D back. Those are probably the two biggest parts of Kreider's game. Leadership wise, there's more to it than being a supportive person or someone who can rally the guys behind you. A team also needs some leaders who are comfortable and established within the organization, which Kreider and very few other guys left are. It's hard to go to someone for support when they're just getting comfortable themselves.

So, yeah we did move a ton of veterans that people were attached to and it did end up being beneficial, but the team today isn't the same team the those guys were taken off of. There's real reasons to doubt that trading Kreider will be beneficial.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dougie Hamilton might have broken his leg yesterday. If he is out an extended period of time, the Hurricanes are not buyers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad