Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLV: Summer bummer edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Nash @ $1.8m retained, let's say, doesn't return what Kessel did for the Leafs, then JG got a bad deal.

1 NHL player - preferably RHD or RHW
1 good prospect - preferably RHD or RHW
1st round pick
2nd round pick

If I don't get that haul for Nash, I don't trade Nash.

I'm in the school of thought to trade Nash these season, not for garbage but the exact framwork your described.

A Nash trade needs to do several things.

Fill Needs.
Add Youth.
Add Draft Picks.
Open Up Cap Space.

Preferably
Adds RH Top 9 Forward Either Today or Soon.
Adds RH Second Pair Defenseman Either Today or Soon.

ANA:
Silfverberg
Montour
1st
2nd

ANA:
Vatenen
Kerdiles
1st.
2nd.

NSH:
Smif
Dougherty
1st.
2nd.

DAL:
Ritchie
Honka
1st.

MIN:
Dumba
Tuch
1st.
2nd.

MIN:
Coyle
Folin
1st.
2nd.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
also the rangers should use their financial power to eat the max on Nash's contract. its only 2 years, but you open up to a much better return if youre asking a team to take on nash for under 4 mil a year.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
People don't like soft big men. It's that simple. Same reason Boyle got crap in his time here. You are given the one asset you can't teach and they either refuse or don't know how to use it.

Boyle wasn't and isn't soft. He's a very valuable player that was a bad fighter. Some people hated him during his 1st year here, but after that he's been a big game player.

I don't think there's any player that's played more playoff hockey than Brian Boyle the last 5 seasons.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Teams make solid depth signings every year. Boyle. Fehr. Fleishmann. Stalberg. Pouliot. Cullen. The Rangers need to find a couple of hard nosed veterans who can still play for their bottom-6.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm in the school of thought to trade Nash these season, not for garbage but the exact framwork your described.

Fill Needs.
Add Youth.
Add Draft Picks.
Open Up Cap Space.

Preferably

ANA:
Silfverberg
Montour
1st
2nd

ANA:
Vatenen
Kerdiles
1st.
2nd.

NSH:
Smif
Dougherty
1st.
2nd.

DAL:
Ritchie
Honka
1st.

MIN:
Dumba
Tuch
1st.
2nd.

MIN:
Coyle
Folin
1st.
2nd.

I would love any of these. But I think some are a bit high in terms of expected return. I could be wrong but just my opinion

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Drouin is a huge, undersized risk.
5% or less chance he turns into PKane
5% chance of productive, but ?-able as to value paid
90% chance of bust.
No thanks.

gogo doesn't get me going, sorry.
In part because....

concur^.

That 90% chance of bust is playing amazing in the playoffs right now.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Teams make solid depth signings every year. Boyle. Fehr. Fleishmann. Stalberg. Pouliot. Cullen. The Rangers need to find a couple of hard nosed veterans who can still play for their bottom-6.

heres the problem there...they have done pretty good there if you really think about it... sure there have been some faliures...but they traded for Brian Boyle...got Prust in a trade, got Moore via UFA, got Stalberg, Pouliot, Stempniak was criminally used here, etc...not to mention their own kids like Fasth, Hrivik who was terrific in the few games he played, etc.

The real problem here is, and the AV apologists refuse to acknowledge the impact this decision has, that as long as Tanner Glass is in the lineup, 50% of your bottom 6 is completely and utterly useless.

and for a coach who plays his 4th line waaayyyy too many minutes...thats a real problem.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I would love any of these. But I think some are a bit high in terms of expected return. I could be wrong but just my opinion

Take away the 2nd rounders and it's still more than acceptable IMO.

The guy was invisible for 60 games and the team was not a playoff caliber team for it's final 60 games.

So I would state that a 30-35 goal output from Nash could be what puts the team into a marginal playoff role on this Ranger team... much like he would have an impact on other teams if not moreso.

But the value to the Rangers is in terms of opportunity costs recouped, risks hedged, and purely from an asset management pov... yeah he's a goner.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Also with so many SPCs off the board this year, the Rangers would be wise to keep more than a few spots open to facilitate waiver pick-ups...

There will be plenty of serviceable 23-24 year olds with 3 PRO seasons hitting waivers. There will be some gems there.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Just saw on the main boards that Tyson Barrie may be available (per Friedman) and that he likely "moves on." Any takers? If so what can you live with in return.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Like RangerBoy posted, we've been linked to Barrie forever. He, just like Dan Boyle and Keith Yandle, has been a crown jewel in Sather's eyes.

If they like these types of defenseman so much, maybe they should stock up on 2nd and 3rd round picks where these defensemen end up going. Most of the great dmen and a lot of the promising upcoming dmen in this league have gone in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Barrie is worth the money he would get. Colorado seems to like grit guys, so obviously a Girardi for Barrie swap makes sense :sarcasm:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Would you do Kreider for Barrie?

Kreider won't be cheap to keep long-term.

My untouchables are Miller,Buchnevich and Skjei. Lundqvist is not going anywhere. The rest are available in the right deal. No freebies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Fill Needs.
Add Youth.
Add Draft Picks.
Open Up Cap Space.

Preferably

ANA:
Silfverberg
Montour
1st
2nd

ANA:
Vatenen
Kerdiles
1st.
2nd.

NSH:
Smif
Dougherty
1st.
2nd.

DAL:
Ritchie
Honka
1st.

MIN:
Dumba
Tuch
1st.
2nd.

MIN:
Coyle
Folin
1st.
2nd.
Love all of those proposals but don't really know if any of the teams do it

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Would you do Kreider for Barrie?

Kreider won't be cheap to keep long-term.

My untouchables are Miller,Buchnevich and Skjei. Lundqvist is not going anywhere. The rest are available in the right deal. No freebies.

I'd consider it for sure, but we need to find a way to ditch G.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
heres the problem there...they have done pretty good there if you really think about it... sure there have been some faliures...but they traded for Brian Boyle...got Prust in a trade, got Moore via UFA, got Stalberg, Pouliot, Stempniak was criminally used here, etc...not to mention their own kids like Fasth, Hrivik who was terrific in the few games he played, etc.

The real problem here is, and the AV apologists refuse to acknowledge the impact this decision has, that as long as Tanner Glass is in the lineup, 50% of your bottom 6 is completely and utterly useless.

and for a coach who plays his 4th line waaayyyy too many minutes...thats a real problem.

The fact that they kept AV, tells you that none of those trades are even comptiplated! Maybe Nash for marleau?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The Rangers have liked Barrie for a while. How are the Rangers getting Barrie?

January 2014

The Rangers were looking to deal Del Zotto at the time.

Is Barrie really worth $5M-$6M?

Stop coaching Pat is acting like Barrie on the block is a shock. It's been known for a while the Avs are not going to pay him that type of money.

50+ points in 80 games is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad