Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLV: Summer bummer edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Four years is his time with the Rangers. If you're unhappy with that time frame, in the past two, three, or five seasons, he's 2nd in that measure (goals scored per 60, not GF/60).

If Nashville projects him being that player for the next 2+ years, and I dont really know why they would, then maybe the Rangers actually could get one of those 4+ assets package with a 1st rounder and nearly no salary coming back. But right now its fantasyland stuff.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Nash should absolutely bring back multiple assets. One year removed from a 40 goal season doesn't make you worthless. Nash's scoring will come back, injuries and bad luck will happen, his career shooting % is 12% vs. last year of only 8%. At his worst he's a 20-25 goal scorer still over a full season.

If Nashville is a trading partner then I'd target Ryan Ellis as a piece coming back our way. They might be willing to move him for the right player.

What type of player is Ellis? He was touted as a offensive Dman prior to the 2009 draft if I remember right but his numbers don't really show that. 27 points last year and 32 this season. Not big either at 5'10. RHD.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
What type of player is Ellis? He was touted as a offensive Dman prior to the 2009 draft if I remember right but his numbers don't really show that. 27 points last year and 32 this season. Not big either at 5'10. RHD.

A new age defenseman. Can skate and really move the puck. Cannon of a shot but hasn't produced elite at the NHL level. I'd love Ellis on this team

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

He's an excellent two-way D. Great skater, very smart, excels at the transition game, and can rock a sweet beard.

Nashville definitely won't move him, though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
its why many of us were all in on going for Drouin. looks like that ship has now sailed..

Drouin is a huge, undersized risk.
5% or less chance he turns into PKane
5% chance of productive, but ?-able as to value paid
90% chance of bust.
No thanks.

i really do wonder what Alex Goligoski will get this offseason...interesting player.
gogo doesn't get me going, sorry.
In part because....

He'll be overpaid. Hopefully doesn't wind up anywhere near this team. Last thing we need is a 31 year old on a retirement contract.

concur^.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Where do I sign for Ryan Ellis? Would be a great addition. Unfortunately, any return from Nashville in a Nash or Brassard deal would most likely not include him.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
As other's have mentioned he's blocked by Webber and Josi in Nashville so only gets some 2nd unit pp time. 32 points in a secondary role is pretty good. Still has a great one timer, and a solid righty puck mover. In today's game the 5'10 thing doesn't bother me, he's 25 and would be a huge upgrade on the right side.

Nashville probably won't move him, but they did move Seth Jones for a need. Nash is an elite talent I think they'd consider. Their issue might be cap even if we kept some of Nash's hit, they have some young guys they'll need to resign.

Getting someone like Ellis would be huge ($2.5m for two more years) especially if we lose Yandle.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
As other's have mentioned he's blocked by Webber and Josi in Nashville so only gets some 2nd unit pp time. 32 points in a secondary role is pretty good. Still has a great one timer, and a solid righty puck mover. In today's game the 5'10 thing doesn't bother me, he's 25 and would be a huge upgrade on the right side.

Nashville probably won't move him, but they did move Seth Jones for a need. Nash is an elite talent I think they'd consider. Their issue might be cap even if we kept some of Nash's hit, they have some young guys they'll need to resign.

Getting someone like Ellis would be huge ($2.5m for two more years) especially if we lose Yandle.

With AV behind the bench, couldn't say that Ellis would be blocked by Girardi and Klein here?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
With AV behind the bench, couldn't say that Ellis would be blocked by Girardi and Klein here?
Av knows they need help on the PP. Ellis can shoot like no one else on this team. Also who knows what the D come training camp are? Maybe Girardi is around, maybe not. Maybe Klein is move. I have to imagine management understands the D is the priority to address.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
People don't like soft big men. It's that simple. Same reason Boyle got crap in his time here. You are given the one asset you can't teach and they either refuse or don't know how to use it.

They both use their size to protect to puck, just because you're big doesn't mean you need to be running around hitting everything in sight

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have liked Barrie for a while. How are the Rangers getting Barrie?

January 2014

The Rangers were looking to deal Del Zotto at the time.

Is Barrie really worth $5M-$6M?

Stop coaching Pat is acting like Barrie on the block is a shock. It's been known for a while the Avs are not going to pay him that type of money.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The Rangers have liked Barrie for a while. How are the Rangers getting Barrie?

January 2014

The Rangers were looking to deal Del Zotto at the time.

Is Barrie really worth $5M-$6M?

Stop coaching Pat is acting like Barrie on the block is a shock. It's been known for a while the Avs are not going to pay him that type of money.

Umm, yeah. You asked this about Burns too.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Rangers will most likely get a Gaborik like return for Nash. Youngish player who is either about to get a raise or is already at around 4 million + young piece + player.

I have proposed Vatanen + Silfverberg (cap hits actually match if Vatanen gets 4.5) or Wilson + from Nashville. They most likely are not going to get a Drouin like young talent but a Jarnkrok or Ritchie or someone along those lines is reasonable.

John Moore was a decently high potential young defenseman. Brassard was a middle-6 center who hadn't been able to meet expectations. Dorsett was a highly regarded depth player.

Spezza and Kessel are other examples of deals. Kesler. Lucic. The precedents are all over the place for possible returns for Nash.

I don't know why Vatanen keeps staying in my mind but he would be ideal. Coming up for a raise. Plays on a team who has quite a few young puck movers. Team is looking to win in the near term. Silfverberg had a season similar to Kreider. Very slow and disappointing start. Came on relatively strong in the 2nd half. Nash replaces him in the lineup next to Kesler on the 2nd line.

4.5 for Vatanen for 4-5 years. 3.75 is Silfverberg's contract. Solid 2-way winger who is in his mid-20's. The Rangers liked him in Ottawa. He would look good next to Stepan. Team builds that core of 23-26 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad