Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLV: Summer bummer edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Rick Nash had 1 less point than Craig Smith in 22 less games played during an injury riddled year. They also have Arvidsson, Fiala, Kamenev, and Austin Watson waiting in the wings.

To be honest, I prop up trading for Smith mostly for salary reasons. The crown jewel of the trade is Jack Dougherty.

Rick Nash also makes far more money, is only signed for 2 more seasons, and his best years are likely behind him. Replacing Smith with Nash doesn't accomplish what they want to do. It's swapping wingers, not adding a top-six player.

Watson will never be a top-six player.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Rick Nash also makes far more money, is only signed for 2 more seasons, and his best years are likely behind him. Replacing Smith with Nash doesn't accomplish what they want to do. It's swapping wingers, not adding a top-six player.

Watson will never be a top-six player.

Nash can play on Johansen's wing. That's a solid top 6 acquisition. Assuming this is done at 50% retained, that's a STEAL for Nashville.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Nash can play on Johansen's wing. That's a solid top 6 acquisition. Assuming this is done at 50% retained, that's a STEAL for Nashville.

Agree with you there. Always thought Nash was in the Hossa/Gaborik mold. Great player, but never going to be "the guy" on a winning team. Not sure what Nashville is willing to give up for him though. What does their cap situation look like?

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I hope this team acquires(even if it's late, around the 20-25 range) a 1st rounder this year. And maybe a mid 2nd. The depth in this draft isn't great but there are some good players we can snag.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I hope this team acquires(even if it's late, around the 20-25 range) a 1st rounder this year. And maybe a mid 2nd. The depth in this draft isn't great but there are some good players we can snag.

I think moving Nash and Staal gets you those pieces and more.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Board opinion...does Brassard/Klein bring back Dumba and a 1st from the Wild?

Brassard alone brings that back

We are better off w
Stepan +Nanne
for
Dumba + Tuck

to answer yr ?s, Brass straight up is close in value but they can hold out for more and also atm they are highly valuing picks, methinks.

My vote is as above

also from the prior thread

To me, letting go of Boyle, EStaal and Moore isn't a youth movement, it's just obvious. None of those players are that good anymore and we have adequate replacements who are cheaper already on the roster.

Same with trading Nash, Staal or Girardi. If all three of those guys get moved then maybe that'll mean something but this is just more obvious stuff.

Here's what to me, signifies a real rebuild is coming:
1. Don't resign Yandle. I love the guy and have advocated for keeping him but if the team is going to rebuild then it better be done right. If Yandle is resigned that should end this debate instantly. We're win now if we give him a big contract.
2. Shop players that other teams actually want. I'm talking Stepan, Brassard, Zuke, Klein. Trading two of those guys would go a long way towards rebuilding the system, especially if they're moved to a bad team and we get some firsts back.

Just moving out players we don't want anymore isn't a rebuild.

solid post!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You're entirely missing the point. They want ANOTHER top-six wing. As in, they want to add to Smith, Forsberg, and Neal, not trade one of them away.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Board opinion...does Brassard/Klein bring back Dumba and a 1st from the Wild?

Love that deal from our perspective. The Wild need to shed cap space though. Don't know how they can afford those two if they can't rid themselves of either Pominville or Vanek.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Trading up or obtaining picks at the draft when the picks are at their highest demand, while trading away picks at the trade deadline when current NHL players are at their highest demand seems like solid asset management to me. Nobody in the East scares me anyway but I also want to participate in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Another good idea for cap management, sign in demand free agents when the contracts required will be at the most expensive point it can reach. If done right sign a player to the largest contract he will ever receive during his career which can take him right through his declining years all the way to his buyout.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
You're entirely missing the point. They want ANOTHER top-six wing. As in, they want to add to Smith, Forsberg, and Neal, not trade one of them away.

What is their cap situation? If Nash can return a package around Fiala I think that would be an awesome move, depending on what else comes back. Could they get Fiala and Dougherty or Fiala and a 1st with salary retained?

Probably not, but if Nashville is desperate enough to maximize their "window", who knows.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'd take Colin Wilson if they need to shed $$. I think he can be a consistent 40-45 point player with some size. Would need to be more coming back but I wouldn't be upset with him as the cap piece coming back for Nash

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What is their cap situation? If Nash can return a package around Fiala I think that would be an awesome move, depending on what else comes back. Could they get Fiala and Dougherty or Fiala and a 1st with salary retained?

Probably not, but if Nashville is desperate enough to maximize their "window", who knows.

I think if they retained down to $5.5 or so, they might entice the Preds to give up a piece like Fiala or Dougherty, but I we'd need to take salary back I'm sure. Likely Colin Wilson who, despite a stellar playoff so far, isn't a top-six guy for them. Wilson, Dougherty/Fiala and a 1st would be a great return for Nash at a retained salary. I like Kamanev as well.

They do have to give Forsberg a deal this summer though. So who knows how that ends up.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I'd be willing to retain on Nash if necessary. I'm looking at the trade in the long term for them. Nash only has two years left, and they have to give Forsberg, Jarnkrok, Arvidsson, and Johansen new contracts between this season and next.

As a side note, I don't think they need as much help on the wings as you think. They have Fiala and Alberg who are both NHL ready. They need more help at center with Fisher and Ribeiro's contracts expiring next offseason and Gaustad being a free agent this summer.

Edit: I'll add that if the package ends up being Wilson, one of those prospects, and 1st, then I'm fine with it. I think Nash to Nashville would be a good move for both teams.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brass would be a really good fit in Nashville as a 2nd line center behind Johansen. Fisher as the 3rd. They have Ribeiro under contract for another year but he is not a legit 2nd.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Brass would be a really good fit in Nashville as a 2nd line center behind Johansen. Fisher as the 3rd. They have Ribeiro under contract for another year but he is not a legit 2nd.

yeah they need another forward...its a shame they already traded Seth Jones away...coulda been a steal for us with a brassard/klein type trade.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont see the rangers trading Brass/Step/Zucc/Kreider.

It's Nash and one of Girardi/Staal.

I see it being Nash and G.

Re-sign Yandle and E.Staal (on a good AAV).

Add Buch. And add younger pieces from trade.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nill traded Eriksson with 3 years remaining on the contract,Reilly Smith,Joe Morrow and another player to Boston for Seguin,Peverley and another player. Nieuwendyk acquired Morrow from Pitt for Brendan Morrow. The Rangers need to make one of those trades. Acquire a building block player who is young and does not make a gazillion dollars. Trade one very good player and another good player for one potentially great player and another useful player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln