Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLV: Summer bummer edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So far they have decided to re-sign their back-up and bring coaching back.

Am I crazy to think they are not going to make grandiose changes?

Any news on them maybe skipping the bridge deals for any of the RFAs to try to save later on cap hits?

Not bringing back Dan Boyle and Dom Moore is sort of a youth mandate.
Yandle to Skjei.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Brassard will be 29 when the season starts. If the Rangers need a "2-3 year retool", that takes him to the end of his sweetheart deal and to 31-32.

He is coming off a career year. His contract is A+. For a team on the brink or in their window he would be worth a fortune of futures.

Will they do it? No. Should they? I can see the logic.

Again, they TYPE of move the front office should be looking at. Trading Brassard doesn't = rebuild. Not at all. Actually it screams re-tool... pending other moves obviously...

But it's exactly the TYPE of move they should be looking at making. Get younger, get some talent here in the next couple years. By then Brass is on his way out.

Is he selling jerseys? He putting ***** in seats? I like him, don't get me wrong... but you know they're keeping Hank... he does sell jerseys and seats. We can live without Brass for a couple years and recoup some assets.

It makes sense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Tampa should trade Bishop after this season. Give the starting role to Vasilevskiy. Bishop is a UFA after the 2016-17 season. Another good season from him, and he'll be demanding 7M+. I don't think they can afford to pay that, so I think they should cash in now. Dallas needs a goalie, trade him to Dallas. I think Bishop's good, probably a top 10 goalie in the NHL, but he's 29 and in his prime. Can he get into that top 5 tier? I don't think so. Vasilevskiy is playing really well for the Lightning in these playoffs, and he's good enough to be a 60 game per season starter already. He's a player who has potential to be one of the best goalies in the league eventually, and right now he's also good enough to win with.

Tampa has a really tough cap situation. That Callahan contract is up there for the worst in the league. The Carle, Garrison and Coburn contracts aren't good either, but the term is shorter. I think they are going to have to let two of their best players go. I think it would be smart to keep that at Stamkos and Bishop. They have the Bishop replacement ready to play next season, and while they can't replace Stamkos immediately, they can't afford to be paying Stamkos 10M for 7 years. He's not been the same player since the leg injury. He's good, but that contract could be absolutely awful in a few seasons.

If we can get Tarasenko from St. Louis, I'd trade them our whole team. He's the second best goal scorer in the NHL. So what he's had a bad series? He's 24 with a good contract and a history of performing well in the playoffs.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
that trade is laughably bad for Ottawa
I put into consideration of value, I do think depending on which team it is Marc Staal with retrained dollars is worth a first round pick, a second round pick and I'm fine with that. Rick Nash at 50% will bring back a lot, none of the players the Rangers that I listed are not top-end talent, so I feel its a fair value but thats my opinion lol.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Any news on them maybe skipping the bridge deals for any of the RFAs to try to save later on cap hits?

Yandle to Skjei.

The playoffs aren't even over, chill. Once the season is officially over and all of the teams look towards the draft and get fully into off-season mode, things will start rolling.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
We have few draft picks or prospects. As you said, it will be difficult to trade anyone with an NMC, and we aren't going to get much for Girardi or Staal if we do manage to trade them. So how are we getting those young players? Nash can be traded, but what are we getting back for him? Is that enough?

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't trade Brassard or Zucc, but we should absolutely consider it depending on the return, and we'll likely be better off trading them both at some point before their contracts expire.

You've also said that you expect this team to take a step back and it will take some time for the young players to mature. How long? Will Brassard and Zucc still be playing at the same level by then? Will they still be worth their contracts? If we don't expect to win the cup the next 2 years (and I don't), then we have to consider what we need to win 3, 4 and 5 years from now.

Brass and Zucc both have 3 years left on their contracts. Do you anticipate re-signing both of them at age 31? If not, then they have to be traded before they get to UFA and we can't wait until the trade deadline. They need to be moves we make in the summer, whether it's this summer, next summer or the summer after.

Best read in this thread. I hope Gorton has had this discussion/thought process.

If they think 3 years and beyond, and show it in their moves I would be a happy camper.

Thanks GAG. Great post

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The playoffs aren't even over, chill. Once the season is officially over and all of the teams look towards the draft and get fully into off-season mode, things will start rolling.

So you do think they will make grandiose changes and they just started by retaining coaching and their back-up?

Cause that kind of seems like standard operating procedure to me.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
So you do think they will make grandiose changes and they just started by retaining coaching and their back-up?

They never said coaching changes were coming. They said player changes were very likely. I.e, "One last kick at the can for this group." They need a backup, so why not re-sign the one we have? He was serviceable, and likely cheaper than going out to the open market.

I doubt we see anything at all until the draft other than maybe signing a couple of prospects and confirmations that certain FA's won't be brought back.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Yandle to Skjei.

In my eyes the unknown status w/ expansion is the delay. That will play a huge roll in how they handle G, Staal & Nash.

But maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm not sure I see the correlation between being able to move those guys, and a fairly low-risk signing by the Bruins..

Not quite. This is almost as bad as the Jeff Finger signing by Toronto years ago. Kevan Miller isn't worth even half of 2.5 million per season. He has a hell of an agent.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

What I'm saying is, to draw any conclusion about what direction this off season is going to take based on what has happened before the season is officially over.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Some not as hyped guys I'd like the team to try and target this summer. They can be brought in relatively cheaply, or signed for very little.

Ryan Murphy
Teemu Pulkkinen
Justin Fontaine

All I think would help the team in some form.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Marc Staal and Rick Nash have value. The people who believe otherwise are incorrect.

With Staal, I'm still of the belief that he is a 2nd pair NHL defenseman. He had an atrocious 1st half and that led to him getting lumped in with Girardi.

Staal has his limitations, but I think that his season could largely be contributed to his injuries the year before.

Pair Marc Staal with a puck mover who plays a Stralman type of game and he will be very effective. I think if a team like Dallas could add him and pair him with Klingberg or Demers would be a great fit. I thought Ottawa would've been a good fit as well, but that ship sailed when they traded for Phaneuf.

I just look at Staal and I still see good hockey left in him. I recognize his limitations, but I see him still having solid NHL season in front of him. As opposed to Girardi who just looks completely done and a shell of his former self.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What I'm saying is, to draw any conclusion about what direction this off season is going to take based on what has happened before the season is officially over.

Bringing back AV signals to me that it will be the same re-branded roster management always comes out with.

Them not extending any pending RFAs or even UFAs until after UFA season signals to me they are either saving their cap space and keeping their options open for UFA shopping, or those players will not sign until later on. Neither of which is any different than it has been.

Brooks and his unnamed source talking about a youth mandate, while they are keeping the same coaching, seems like a contradiction to me, or did I miss it when AV was known as a developmental type coach?

So I guess while some want to read into the "last kick at the can", and that youth mandate, I will just go by what I have seen them do to this point, last trade deadline, last off-season, the one before that, and so on and so forth.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Bringing back AV signals to me that it will be the same re-branded roster management always comes out with.

Them not extending any pending RFAs or even UFAs until after UFA season signals to me they are either saving their cap space and keeping their options open for UFA shopping, or those players will not sign until later on. Neither of which is any different than it has been.

Brooks and his unnamed source talking about a youth mandate, while they are keeping the same coaching, seems like a contradiction to me, or did I miss it when AV was known as a developmental type coach?

So I guess while some want to read into the "last kick at the can", and that youth mandate, I will just go by what I have seen them do to this point, last trade deadline, last off-season, the one before that, and so on and so forth.

I don't think anyone would honestly criticize you for having this opinion of this team/org at this point. I agree to a point about AV being here still... maybe Gorton feels there's no one better out there at this time... maybe AV wanted some pieces Gorton couldn't get so they're going to stay together a bit longer... I dunno.

At this point we all will have to wait and see. When & if the pieces start moving around the board we will know more.

Until then it's all baseless, wishful thinking or in your case "nothing to see here"... more of the same BS rhetoric.

Neither one is wrong or right at this point tho.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'm not sure I see the correlation between being able to move those guys, and a fairly low-risk signing by the Bruins..

Miller is the Bruins Girardi. Essentially it means that if guys like Miller can still be signed, surely Girardi or Staal can be traded to another team.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Marc Staal was a very good player playing next to Stralman, one of the reasons for that is Anton was and is great at beating a forecheck.

It's why Stralman has great possession metrics, Marc is not a player that can beat a forecheck by himself. Having a partner to do that is key.

Girardi is another player that can't beat a forecheck. Brady Skjei van. IMO the Rangers will be more than okay with Skjei-Girardi as a third pair.

Yandle can beat a forecheck. One of the reasons why he worked so well with McIlrath is because you had one suppress one side, win board battles and the other just transport or dish.

Given the shortage of quality D, of the Rangers could acquire a Vatenen type of player, I could see a realistic scenario of Staal and Klein being moved to really stock up on assets.

Yandle only costs money to keep, trading Nash, Klein and Staal will clear space and get a barren farm restocked.

Trading Girardi without retaining salary won't happen, buying him out is a major long term hindrance on the cap.

Worst case of having to replace him with your 7th D is manageable.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Marc Staal was a very good player playing next to Stralman, one of the reasons for that is Anton was and is great at beating a forecheck.

It's why Stralman has great possession metrics, Marc is not a player that can beat a forecheck by himself. Having a partner to do that is key.

Girardi is another player that can't beat a forecheck. Brady Skjei van. IMO the Rangers will be more than okay with Skjei-Girardi as a third pair.

Yandle can beat a forecheck. One of the reasons why he worked so well with McIlrath is because you had one suppress one side, win board battles and the other just transport or dish.

Given the shortage of quality D, of the Rangers could acquire a Vatenen type of player, I could see a realistic scenario of Staal and Klein being moved to really stock up on assets.

Yandle only costs money to keep, trading Nash, Klein and Staal will clear space and get a barren farm restocked.

Trading Girardi without retaining salary won't happen, buying him out is a major long term hindrance on the cap.

Worst case of having to replace him with your 7th D is manageable.

I agree with that. It's either Staal at 29 for 5 more years or Yandle at 30 for 6 more years... given Yandle has had an easier career and plays a game that ages much better, you're best off capitalizing by selling Staal for assets and replacing him with someone who just costs money.

McDonagh-Yandle-Skjei down the left is a nice configuration.

Girardi I still believe could be traded with 50% retained. $2.75M in dead cap space, but I bet Girardi retires In two years after his NMC is up.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
With Staal, I'm still of the belief that he is a 2nd pair NHL defenseman. He had an atrocious 1st half and that led to him getting lumped in with Girardi.

Marc Staal's 2nd half was a lot worse than his 1st imo.

Pair Marc Staal with a puck mover who plays a Stralman type of game and he will be very effective. I think if a team like Dallas could add him and pair him with Klingberg or Demers would be a great fit. I thought Ottawa would've been a good fit as well, but that ship sailed when they traded for Phaneuf.

Staal has severe limitations. He has absolutely no puck skill or skating ability any more. If you're gonna sell Staal this might be the absolute best argument you could make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad