Speculation: Roster building thread XLIX ”U Can’t Always get what U Want”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Granted, I was thinking more about Fenno-Scandia than I was about Czechia and the rest of Eastern Europe. But the point I'm working with there is that the cultural differences between northern, western and southern Europe are smaller than the cultural differences between any of those regions and Russia (and by proxy, eastern Europe). Even though the gaps I'm talking about are smaller, you could say much the same thing about New Englanders, New Yorkers, and Mid-Westerners compared to Southerners here in the States.

The rural/urban divide exists everywhere.

Understood. But that's why I used Chytil. We've had various Eastern Europeans come through our system and the only country where this issue is ever raised is with Russia.

Additionally, I wasn't referring to the urban/rural divide. My wife isn't from a rural area, she's from an urban, industrial city. No American would have any reason to visit there. But the point is that major cities have developed rapidly under the EU, while many smaller cities have maintained a culture in-line with their historical foundations. It's slowly changing because of globalized technology, but still, if you're 40+ in post-Soviet countries, there's a good chance your mentality and customs are more similar to those in Russia than to those in Western countries. Even this younger generation is raised by individuals who grew up under communist rule.

Anyways, in general I think this argument is ridiculous. Sports is a global business and players can succeed from anywhere. I've also come to realize that human beings are very at adapting when forced to integrate. We have a huge Russian population in New York and quite a few Russians in our system. I hardly think its necessary to bring in Russian vets to aid the development of younger players.

I'd even argue that due to the makeup of our current team/system, bringing in an older Czech to specifically help Chytil would probably be smarter than to add another Russian.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
In Greece we eat Watermelon, Bread and Feta for breakfast. Sounds weird, but something magical happens when you combine everything. This post is totally hockey related because like nyrage mentioned, we're 36 hours away from Kakko.

Noon-paneer-hendooneh.jpg

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
New Haven style pizza is usually thin sliced, but I've had pizza's here in CT that blow Colony away. I grew up in NY so I'm very sensitive about my pizza.
I had an amazing pizza pie in Norwalk once. Cudnt order by the slice. Forget the name of the place tho...

Reactions: Kupo

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I believe @Edge 100%, the guy is an HF veteran. Whether it comes true or not is not up to him.

I personally feel like it could be Marner.

View attachment 238185
Toronto and most teams with salary cap issues will most likely sell lower-end players and keep the better ones. Toronto will trade guys like Zaitsev and Kadri with picks if necessary, for example, to make room. They're not losing Marner.
The move for Gorton is to get those picks (or whatever sweeteners he wants) in exchange for cap relief. I highly doubt Marner or the like get moved. Would have to be a "hockey trade" for that to happen.

Reactions: Wakko4Kakko

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
In Greece we eat Watermelon, Bread and Feta for breakfast. Sounds weird, but something magical happens when you combine everything. This post is totally hockey related because like nyrage mentioned, we're 36 hours away from Kakko.

Noon-paneer-hendooneh.jpg

Sub out the Feta for sliced Parmesan and game, set, match. That's my Turkish father-in-law's go to.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Bacon Egg and.. Pizza?
Cold left over pizza from the fridge in the morning should be a staple of any 20 something's diet.

LOL. I am generally pretty forgiving with pizza and pizza-products, but Pizza Bagels are up there with St. Louis style, Cleveland style, **** like Mama Celeste, Tombstone, and Elio's, etc. I draw the line there.

Pizza bagel/bagel bites should only be relegated to 3am eating after meandering home in a drunken stupor.

And now that I am good and hungry, I get to hop on a plane for South America.

I'll probably buy some Wifi time, but I'll likely be out of contact for the next 90 mins or so.

Not ignoring anyone and no one should read anything into the silence.

I think all posters have to do is look at the posts that you've slyly "liked" over the past few hours to get an indication of what is cooking.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
20 some years ago I moved to NJ from Brooklyn, pizza in NJ was pitiful than, wonder bread with tomato sauce, now some pizzeria in NJ is better than NY

Reactions: JayMan82

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
As a guy that grew up in NY and moved to Florida & Texas, I disagree. They make some trash pizza in the South that's definitely vomit-inducing.

I can't believe we are less than 36 hours away from Kakko time.
I remember driving to Florida a couple years back and stopping at a hotel in I think North Carolina, and when we asked about food the front desk told us "This place is pretty good" and handed us a Domino's menu

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
20 some years ago I moved to NJ from Brooklyn, pizza in NJ was pitiful than, wonder bread with tomato sauce, now some pizzeria in NJ is better than NY

I have no idea where you are getting your pizza in NJ. Lots of the same pizza places around now that were around 20 years ago, at least where I live. There's one in Hoboken I think...Five Star?...one slice is like a quarter of a pie lol. Great pizza too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I had an amazing pizza pie in Norwalk once. Cudnt order by the slice. Forget the name of the place tho...
In DC probably 10 years ago, they opened a few places called Pete's Apizza. As you can guess by the "apizza", it was New Haven-style. Obviously not my favorite, but it was really good for the area. Although, too many f***ing clam pies for me.

My wife and I about six years ago moved to a tiny "town" straddling the MD/VA border. We have one gas station, a pizza place, a dance studio, a karate place, a creamery, and that is literally it. An amazing country bakery if you drive down all these farm roads. Anyway, that lone pizza place makes surprisingly good pizza. I mean, it's legitimately good. You can find good pizza most places if you look hard.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
TSN in the Rangers being active rumours now

Here's from the site.

The Rangers are believed to be involved in multiple discussions to improve their club, with the potential to move Chris Kreider, Jimmy Vesey, Vladislav Namestnikov, Kevin Shattenkirk and/or Pavel Buchnevich over the next couple days.

Vesey would be the most likely to go, which is why he debuts at No. 7 on the latest TSN Trade Bait board.

Shattenkirk has been on the board all spring. It’s no secret the Rangers have sought a trade partner for the offensive-minded blueliner, and now are reportedly mulling over a buyout in the absence of one.
Kreider is further down the list at No. 20. He is entering the final year of his deal and much will depend on his initial salary demands and whether or not the Rangers believe they can work something out. His speed and skill would be a match for any club, or Kreider could certainly be a key cog in the Rangers’ rebuild.

Reactions: egelband

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
3277E2E5-B9EB-4387-B47F-3F224B6716DF.png

So this is my pizza guys. I want to open my own little restaurant or food truck. I have an outdoor oven that gets to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit or 500 Celsius. I can make a pizza in 60-90 seconds. I make my own dough, sometimes make my own sauce from scratch from my garden otherwise I’ll buy canned basic sauce and add my own ingredients. I can make the classic Neapolitan pizza that you see in the pic(buffalo mozzarella and San Marzano tomatoes), or I make amazing standard oven pizza. I’ve made all kinds of pizzas: cheesesteak, stuffed crust, buffalo wing, white, breakfast style: Taylor ham, eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, and I use white gravy for the sauce. I’ve perfected my standard oven pizza and my outdoor oven pizza. I’ve played around for 2 years and I’ve mastered the art of pizza. I Eat Crow knows, he’s seen my posts on social media. Anyone in the northern NJ area is free to try and critique my pizza. I recently catered for a doctor from my job and her staff and they all raved about my pizza.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I've always been one of those people who eats non-breakfast foods in the morning, even when I was kid.

And now that I am good and hungry, I get to hop on a plane for South America.

I'll probably buy some Wifi time, but I'll likely be out of contact for the next 90 mins or so.

Not ignoring anyone and no one should read anything into the silence.
That’s code for him in the closed door room with gorts

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I remember driving to Florida a couple years back and stopping at a hotel in I think North Carolina, and when we asked about food the front desk told us "This place is pretty good" and handed us a Domino's menu
Can confirm. Moved to Raleigh a little over 2 years ago. Pizza is not one of their strengths. Did find one place that is acceptable but is mostly a disaster

Reactions: Avery16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad